1 2 > 

Wildlife photos

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3411
Joined  21-10-2016

23 May 2019 09:21

Have you seen or taken a photo of wildlife that you’d like to share?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/bald-eagle-steve-biro-1.5145556

[ Edited: 02 July 2019 08:07 by Jan_CAN]
Image Attachments

bald-eagle.jpg

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  26-03-2013

23 May 2019 16:38

A fawn from my bedroom window yesterday.

Image Attachments

MayFawn.jpg

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

23 May 2019 17:00

LadyJane - 23 May 2019 04:38 PM

A fawn from my bedroom window yesterday.

How wonderful to see such a critter from your own window!

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

24 May 2019 04:12

Add a couple of bunnies to the roster.

Image Attachments

MayBunnies.jpg

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9600
Joined  20-10-2006

24 May 2019 14:00

Last night was trash night and raccoons and skunks are bold in my neighborhood.  Too dark for photos.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21584
Joined  11-03-2007

24 May 2019 14:45

Someone give me a quick and simple tutorial on taking a photo from my I phone and posting it.  I have a lot of wildlife photos from my house.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

24 May 2019 14:59

EN - 24 May 2019 02:45 PM

Someone give me a quick and simple tutorial on taking a photo from my I phone and posting it.  I have a lot of wildlife photos from my house.

Perhaps you could post a favourite(s) here later?

(Sorry I can’t help re a tutorial; I know how to download from a camera but not from a phone.)

[ Edited: 24 May 2019 16:11 by Jan_CAN]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

25 May 2019 07:22

Skipshot - 24 May 2019 02:00 PM

Last night was trash night and raccoons and skunks are bold in my neighborhood.  Too dark for photos.

They are very resourceful scavengers and certainly don’t need any human interference.  I imagine if people knew how harmful it was to feed wild animals they wouldn’t keep doing it.  It makes people feel good and think they are closer to nature.  We have to put our feelings aside for the benefit of the animals.  This isn’t a Disney movie.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

25 May 2019 08:07

LadyJane - 25 May 2019 07:22 AM

They are very resourceful scavengers and certainly don’t need any human interference.  I imagine if people knew how harmful it was to feed wild animals they wouldn’t keep doing it.  It makes people feel good and think they are closer to nature.  We have to put our feelings aside for the benefit of the animals.  This isn’t a Disney movie.

LJ, I know from a previous thread that you have experience in regards to wildlife rescue.  I’ve also understood that it’s best not to feed wild animals, for several reasons.  However, I’ve thought that when winter conditions are particularly difficult (e.g. solid ice on ground so that buried food can’t be retrieved) it might be okay to help them out a little so sometimes scatter peanuts-in-the-shell in my backyard for the squirrels and birds.  Perhaps I should reconsider doing this?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

25 May 2019 09:32

Jan_CAN - 25 May 2019 08:07 AM

LJ, I know from a previous thread that you have experience in regards to wildlife rescue.  I’ve also understood that it’s best not to feed wild animals, for several reasons.  However, I’ve thought that when winter conditions are particularly difficult (e.g. solid ice on ground so that buried food can’t be retrieved) it might be okay to help them out a little so sometimes scatter peanuts-in-the-shell in my backyard for the squirrels and birds.  Perhaps I should reconsider doing this?

The less human interaction the better.  I realize I have an extremely strict policy in this regard and people are gonna do what they’re gonna do.  These things have ways of working themselves out without our involvement and helping one species may be at the expense of another. 

There’s an owl living in my barn.  And I love the neverending lagomorph population that resides outside my house.  But the owl’s gotta eat.  I wouldn’t want to be responsible for giving anyone the advantage.  I had a similar conversation with my Dad when he was feeding chipmunks at the cottage.  They’d come right up to him as he was sitting by the lake.  I told him it was taming them into becoming vulnerable which placed them in greater danger than if he didn’t.  Plus, they were salted peanuts so he was probably giving them all hypertension.  Then one day a blue heron was perched on the dock fishing.  And out came the chippy looking for my Dad.  But he wasn’t there.  And the heron scooped him up and snarfed him down before anyone could say “where’s the peanuts?”  That was more convincing than any argument I could’ve made. 

I bet that chipmunk was salty.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7657
Joined  22-02-2014

25 May 2019 10:35

About 18 months ago we moved to the San Juan islands, NW of Seattle. It’s not easy being so dependent on ferries, but if you can handle that, it’s an amazing place to live. But, for example, if I need to buy a pair of shoes, a round-trip to the mainland takes all day.

These guys like to hang out in this tree top, about 75 yards from our house:

Image Attachments

eagles.jpeg

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

25 May 2019 10:56

LadyJane - 25 May 2019 09:32 AM
Jan_CAN - 25 May 2019 08:07 AM

The less human interaction the better.  I realize I have an extremely strict policy in this regard and people are gonna do what they’re gonna do.  These things have ways of working themselves out without our involvement and helping one species may be at the expense of another. 

There’s an owl living in my barn.  And I love the neverending lagomorph population that resides outside my house.  But the owl’s gotta eat.  I wouldn’t want to be responsible for giving anyone the advantage.  I had a similar conversation with my Dad when he was feeding chipmunks at the cottage.  They’d come right up to him as he was sitting by the lake.  I told him it was taming them into becoming vulnerable which placed them in greater danger than if he didn’t.  Plus, they were salted peanuts so he was probably giving them all hypertension.  Then one day a blue heron was perched on the dock fishing.  And out came the chippy looking for my Dad.  But he wasn’t there.  And the heron scooped him up and snarfed him down before anyone could say “where’s the peanuts?”  That was more convincing than any argument I could’ve made. 

I bet that chipmunk was salty.

Yes, the less interaction by us humans the better; let nature well enough alone.  Limit our enjoyment to watching quietly from a little distance.  Thanks for your story which certainly points this out most amusingly, though it was a sad end for little chippy. 

As you say, ‘people are gonna do what they’re gonna do’, and I’ve justified to myself that it’s okay to occasionally feed the squirrels and birds as long as I don’t feed them too often and put the food out such that they don’t get used to my presence.  But it is changing their behaviour and is an interference.  (I just checked my peanut stash and note that they’re roasted but not salted, so at least don’t have the guilt of contributing to squirrel hypertension, haha.) 

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

25 May 2019 11:03

icehorse - 25 May 2019 10:35 AM

About 18 months ago we moved to the San Juan islands, NW of Seattle. It’s not easy being so dependent on ferries, but if you can handle that, it’s an amazing place to live. But, for example, if I need to buy a pair of shoes, a round-trip to the mainland takes all day.

These guys like to hang out in this tree top, about 75 yards from our house:

Beautiful!  There are definite advantages to living outside of a city.

(I live in a smallish city so don’t see the wilder types of wildlife from my home, but do when visiting our back lakes, cottage country.)

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

26 May 2019 09:10

You tend to hear the same old stories again and again at this forum.  If you pay close attention you can see how they’ve been embellished over time.  Like the one about stealing a husky or “rescuing” an injured squirrel at the side of the road by ushering it back into the forest.  With two broken legs no less.  Taking it to a veterinarian would’ve been another way to go, rather than sending it to a certain death, but anyway.  That would take away from playing the hero on an internet forum.

You know who you are.  You killed that squirrel man.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7657
Joined  22-02-2014

26 May 2019 09:52

New news from the San Juans: A black bear has been making a tour of the islands - swimming from island to island and spending a few days on each island. No one understands the bear’s motivation. (I suspect he has a boat!)

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

26 May 2019 10:48

icehorse - 26 May 2019 09:52 AM

New news from the San Juans: A black bear has been making a tour of the islands - swimming from island to island and spending a few days on each island. No one understands the bear’s motivation. (I suspect he has a boat!)

Maybe he’s looking for a girl bear?

According to google:  “Not only are male bears promiscuous, but females often have more than one mating partner. Breeding season begins in May and lasts until early July, with mating mainly occurring during June.”

1 2 >