Wildlife photos

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7662
Joined  22-02-2014

26 May 2019 11:24

Jan_CAN - 26 May 2019 10:48 AM
icehorse - 26 May 2019 09:52 AM

New news from the San Juans: A black bear has been making a tour of the islands - swimming from island to island and spending a few days on each island. No one understands the bear’s motivation. (I suspect he has a boat!)

Maybe he’s looking for a girl bear?

According to google:  “Not only are male bears promiscuous, but females often have more than one mating partner. Breeding season begins in May and lasts until early July, with mating mainly occurring during June.”

That’s one of the leading theories. But man oh man, he’s swimming some big stretches in cold water with strong currents!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3430
Joined  21-10-2016

26 May 2019 12:54

icehorse - 26 May 2019 11:24 AM
Jan_CAN - 26 May 2019 10:48 AM
icehorse - 26 May 2019 09:52 AM

New news from the San Juans: A black bear has been making a tour of the islands - swimming from island to island and spending a few days on each island. No one understands the bear’s motivation. (I suspect he has a boat!)

Maybe he’s looking for a girl bear?

According to google:  “Not only are male bears promiscuous, but females often have more than one mating partner. Breeding season begins in May and lasts until early July, with mating mainly occurring during June.”

That’s one of the leading theories. But man oh man, he’s swimming some big stretches in cold water with strong currents!

Poor lonely fella - hopefully he’s a strong, young bear and his efforts will eventually prove ‘fruitful’.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6362
Joined  22-02-2005

31 May 2019 12:32

Even a strict policy of not feeding wildlife can be compromised by parking your car outside. It’s wiring insulation is made from soy these days and will do for the critters in a pinch. Any car cooling off in winter is a warm animal shelter.

Here in the Motor City, the little buggers are very inventive. I discovered that they place acorns and quince in the spaces of my intake manifold. After a drive they are roasted to perfection and consumed on the little shelf area next to the wheel well. A spray made with mint extract has been effective in closing the diner down.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3430
Joined  21-10-2016

31 May 2019 12:59

Nhoj Morley - 31 May 2019 12:32 PM

Even a strict policy of not feeding wildlife can be compromised by parking your car outside. It’s wiring insulation is made from soy these days and will do for the critters in a pinch. Any car cooling off in winter is a warm animal shelter.

Here in the Motor City, the little buggers are very inventive. I discovered that they place acorns and quince in the spaces of my intake manifold. After a drive they are roasted to perfection and consumed on the little shelf area next to the wheel well. A spray made with mint extract has been effective in closing the diner down.

Hey Nhoj ... on first reading I thought you were saying that the squirrel got ‘roasted to perfection’, but was happy to realize you were referring to the acorns.  Yeah, these city dwelling critters do find a way to make use of what we think of as our spaces – I think they have a different view of the matter.

< 1 2