The Tidal Wave Of Change

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15752
Joined  17-12-2006

08 June 2019 21:57

icehorse - 08 June 2019 07:27 PM

burt:

.. the group in power. In this case, men.

My comment wasn’t about humor. It was more about the wholesale, identity politics orientation that creates a “men vs. women” mentality. I think it’s counterproductive to say things like “women are marginalized” or “men have all the power”. Of course many women are marginalized and of course most of the power in the world resides with men. But many men are true feminists, and some women have a ton of power. I’d say it would be a lot more productive to call out male chauvinists. A man cannot choose to be a man. But a man can choose to be a feminist or a chauvinist.

Often it’s not a choice but a lifetime of conditioning. But I certainly don’t want to make blanket classifications.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  21-10-2016

09 June 2019 10:03

My comment wasn’t about humor. It was more about the wholesale, identity politics orientation that creates a “men vs. women” mentality. I think it’s counterproductive to say things like “women are marginalized” or “men have all the power”. Of course many women are marginalized and of course most of the power in the world resides with men. But many men are true feminists, and some women have a ton of power. I’d say it would be a lot more productive to call out male chauvinists. A man cannot choose to be a man. But a man can choose to be a feminist or a chauvinist.

Wholesale identity politics orientation?  Really?  Yeah, a man does not choose to be a man, but neither does a woman choose.  That’s not really the point.  The point of this thread is the feminist movement and gender equality.  And as the OP said, equality “...takes nothing away from anyone”.  Yes, generalizations are sometimes used in such movements, but to the sensible it is usually quite clear which men are being referred to, and those men who genuinely support the fight for equality do not need to identify with those men that don’t and distract from the important issues at hand.  The fact remains, if the majority of men supported equality, we’d be there by now.  Time to go with the flow of change because the tidal wave is gaining momentum.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21281
Joined  11-03-2007

09 June 2019 14:59

I am a man who is in favor of equality.  I don’t need any other term to identify myself.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15752
Joined  17-12-2006

09 June 2019 16:16

Jan_CAN - 09 June 2019 10:03 AM

Wholesale identity politics orientation?  Really?  Yeah, a man does not choose to be a man, but neither does a woman choose.  That’s not really the point.  The point of this thread is the feminist movement and gender equality.  And as the OP said, equality “...takes nothing away from anyone”.  Yes, generalizations are sometimes used in such movements, but to the sensible it is usually quite clear which men are being referred to, and those men who genuinely support the fight for equality do not need to identify with those men that don’t and distract from the important issues at hand.  The fact remains, if the majority of men supported equality, we’d be there by now.  Time to go with the flow of change because the tidal wave is gaining momentum.

What do you mean, equality takes nothing away from anyone? Where would be my sense of power, my control over others? How could I feel superior? Where would I be able to recruit my minions? Who could I objectify? Where would all my automatic privileges go? Don’t you see, it’s all about me! ME!! ME!!!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  21-10-2016

09 June 2019 17:18

burt - 09 June 2019 04:16 PM
Jan_CAN - 09 June 2019 10:03 AM

What do you mean, equality takes nothing away from anyone? Where would be my sense of power, my control over others? How could I feel superior? Where would I be able to recruit my minions? Who could I objectify? Where would all my automatic privileges go? Don’t you see, it’s all about me! ME!! ME!!!

Haha ... there is that.  But sorry, Burt, the minions are rebelling and insisting on a change from ME ME to WE WE.

‹ First  < 11 12 13