< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

Reflections on the end of life and anticipated end

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1314
Joined  01-11-2014

28 May 2019 20:46

Unless you are facing Alzheimer’s yourself, or have a critical debilitating illness, there’s no reason to contemplate suicide, my opinion.

There was a comedian I once saw who observed: “When I was young, I used to think about committing suicide. Now that I’m older, I think I’ll just wait it out.”

And why not? You will be dead for all eternity, as far as I know, so what’s the hurry?

To get all zen on you, every moment is a new moment, if you are open to it. There is much suffering in life, but there’s also much beauty. Focus on that; focus on the beauty. And the mystery. Nature is a wonder, and so are you, Dennis. You’re part of the Big Show. It took the entire universe and billions of years of stellar and biological evolution to create you.

You’ve had a successful intellectual career. A woman who loved you. You’ve done alright.

Now, here’s what you really need to do as soon as possible…

Get another dog.

[ Edited: 28 May 2019 20:51 by Cheshire Cat]

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

29 May 2019 06:24

Brick Bungalow - 28 May 2019 07:45 PM

I think its a good thing to reflect upon. Facing death squarely is one of the essential ways that we find our true convictions and true character. I appreciate what you say about depression. I have nothing to say about depressive disorders but I do think there is value in accepting that human experience has a natural spectrum. Our peaks are defined by our valleys.

I’m interested in your reflections if you care to share. When you consider mortality as a predicament do you have an experience of injustice? Does it seem wrong to you that we must die and experience the loss of those we love? I feel this way even if I can’t really defend the logic of it. If so is there is a spectrum? Is the loss of a younger person a greater injustice than the loss of an older person? Not on an analytical level but simply in terms of how the experience is processed. For myself there hasn’t been much consistency with how I process loss. Sometimes its blunt and sudden and unbearable. Sometimes it’s melancholy. Sometimes I have felt relief at the passing of another person and subsequent guilt for that relief. The differences seem random. Sometimes I feel very little grief and I have no idea why. I was close to the person and I miss them but that emotion is just absent.

I’d welcome reflections from anyone. I think it’s an important thing to discuss.

I’ve no sense of some injustice, not after 81 years.  My wife has been declining for years, and he passing was predicted months ago by hospice.  Actually have more of a sense of relief than grief; miss our small dog more actually. Living completely alone except for a potted plant can be less than enjoyable, but almost everyone I knew for years has died, so this is not a surprise.  Being dead does not frighten me, dying can be unpleasant so that bothers me.  But hard to be dead without dying. Unfair!

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

29 May 2019 06:53

Get another dog.

Trying to do that.  Seems with rescue organizations you have to prove you’re a suitable adoptive parent. Bit of a pain. Ironically can buy from a breeder with no questions asked.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15846
Joined  17-12-2006

29 May 2019 07:18

Dennis,
I wonder if you have any thoughts on the “school shooting” thread?

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

29 May 2019 07:26

burt - 29 May 2019 07:18 AM

Dennis,

Nicely done thread.  Gad has a point, in that violence has become more stressed on as a means of conflict response.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

29 May 2019 07:50

Dennis Campbell - 29 May 2019 07:26 AM

Dennis,

Nicely done thread.  Gad has a point, in that violence has become more stressed on as a means of conflict response.

Yes, but overall it’s felt like we’re tossing ideas about without really getting to any deeper understanding. Personally I fin it difficult to put myself into the head of some kid who goes out to shoot his classmates (perhaps that’s a good thing….).

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

29 May 2019 08:55

burt - 29 May 2019 07:50 AM

Dennis,

Yes, but overall it’s felt like we’re tossing ideas about without really getting to any deeper understanding. Personally I fin it difficult to put myself into the head of some kid who goes out to shoot his classmates (perhaps that’s a good thing….).

I suspect its a combination of factors not one driving force.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

29 May 2019 09:08

Some complex issues currently besetting us come to mind. My simplified opinions on some:

1. Trump. A narcissistic man whose irrational and inconsistent behavior will increase as his narcissism is attacked, as is increasingly happening. He may get to the point of requiring containment and will become quite dangerous as that happens.

2. Abortion. Up to the woman shy of viability.  If the state prevents abortion then the state assumes a significant degree of child raising responsibility.

3. Racism.  Common among all variations of skin color and not limited to Whites. More absent than not world-wide. Permits judgement without much discriminatory thought or effort based on behavior. 

4. Guns.  Will never be banned regardless of passionate objections.  Too many, too easy to acquire.  Same re nuclear weapons.

5. Assisted suicide.  Will become more common across this country, as it should be.

Dennis

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21593
Joined  11-03-2007

29 May 2019 09:16

Dennis Campbell - 29 May 2019 08:55 AM

Dennis,

Kids are easily susceptible to fads and trends. If they are in a vulnerable state, the “fad” of shooting up a school may seem like an option.  They don’t know how to rationally deal with their own emotions, and getting a gun and shooting someone is easy to do.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

29 May 2019 16:11

EN - 29 May 2019 09:16 AM

Dennis,

Kids are easily susceptible to fads and trends. If they are in a vulnerable state, the “fad” of shooting up a school may seem like an option.  They don’t know how to rationally deal with their own emotions, and getting a gun and shooting someone is easy to do.

Agree.  Kids reflect not create cultural conditions.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

29 May 2019 17:33

Hard to say, given the sudden events, to which I’m still coping, but what strikes me the loudest is the silence.  No communication (apart from here), no phone calls apart from spam, or maybe a text asking “how’re you doing?” and replying “for shit” seems a tad dramatic.  Hell, I get pleasure out of telling a fucking computer spam call to go to Hell.  Even more when its some human! Hate those so cherry calls!  Yet don’t.

There is a certain freedom from any and all obligations though and that’s new.  I can do anything I want and need not
correspond nor agree with anyone nor anything.  Need to reflect on that. Almost everyone I’ve known or cared for is dead. Perhaps there’s a message in that. I’ll finish my vodka then off to bed.

Dennis

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21593
Joined  11-03-2007

29 May 2019 17:47

A new dog and a road trip should help.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

29 May 2019 17:49

EN - 29 May 2019 05:47 PM

A new dog and a road trip should help.

Considering both

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

29 May 2019 18:11

Dennis Campbell - 29 May 2019 04:11 PM
EN - 29 May 2019 09:16 AM

Dennis,

Agree.  Kids reflect not create cultural conditions.

This from a guy who lived through the 60s.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

29 May 2019 18:14

Dennis Campbell - 29 May 2019 05:33 PM

Hard to say, given the sudden events, to which I’m still coping, but what strikes me the loudest is the silence.  No communication (apart from here), no phone calls apart from spam, or maybe a text asking “how’re you doing?” and replying “for shit” seems a tad dramatic.  Hell, I get pleasure out of telling a fucking computer spam call to go to Hell.  Even more when its some human! Hate those so cherry calls!  Yet don’t.

There is a certain freedom from any and all obligations though and that’s new.  I can do anything I want and need not
correspond nor agree with anyone nor anything.  Need to reflect on that. Almost everyone I’ve known or cared for is dead. Perhaps there’s a message in that. I’ll finish my vodka then off to bed.

Dennis

I have a contest with myself whenever I get a fake phone call (not the bots, or advertising, or surveys, just hang up on them, but the cons): I try to see how long I can keep them on the line, wasting their time before letting them know I’m onto the con. Current record is about 30 minutes.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›