‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

Reflections on the end of life and anticipated end

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

09 June 2019 16:28

Still stumbling along here. Got a 2-yr old spayed female Yorkie mix from the Wisconsin Humane Society last week Tuesday.  She’s been wonderful.  Wisconsin “Rescue” agencies have sucked, one site stated that only one of 50 applicants passed and were approved. A 98% failure rate?  Bullshit. No matter, got a great 12.5 lb animal for less than 50 percent of costs of the rescue agencies here. 

I figure I’ve got maybe a year or three.  No medical diagnosis just 81 years and general disinterest in any more, apart from this small animal.Not a complaint, just texting facts.  The only reason I’m interested in living beyond tonight is one small adopted dog.  Again this thread is reflections, not solutions. Have made arrangements to assure well-being of dog; not to mention three step-children and my adopted son. 

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  01-11-2014

09 June 2019 17:25

Dennis Campbell - 09 June 2019 04:28 PM

Still stumbling along here. Got a 2-yr old spayed female Yorkie mix from the Wisconsin Humane Society last week Tuesday.  She’s been wonderful.  Wisconsin “Rescue” agencies have sucked, one site stated that only one of 50 applicants passed and were approved. A 98% failure rate?  Bullshit. No matter, got a great 12.5 lb animal for less than 50 percent of costs of the rescue agencies here. 

I figure I’ve got maybe a year or three.  No medical diagnosis just 81 years and general disinterest in any more, apart from this small animal.Not a complaint, just texting facts.  The only reason I’m interested in living beyond tonight is one small adopted dog.  Again this thread is reflections, not solutions. Have made arrangements to assure well-being of dog; not to mention three step-children and my adopted son. 

Congrats on your new friend, Dennis.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

09 June 2019 17:33

Glad to hear you’ve found yourself a little dog and Yorkies are very cute.  What’s her name?  Could you post a photo of her?

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

09 June 2019 17:45

Jan_CAN - 09 June 2019 05:33 PM

Glad to hear you’ve found yourself a little dog and Yorkies are very cute.  What’s her name?  Could you post a photo of her?

Name is Madison. 

Will try photo later. Thanks for reply

[ Edited: 09 June 2019 18:40 by Dennis Campbell]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1831
Joined  31-10-2015

09 June 2019 19:56

This is no time to give up hope, Dennis. Bb is about to publicly demonstrate critical thinking—certainly something to celebrate!

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

11 June 2019 13:40

nonverbal - 09 June 2019 07:56 PM

This is no time to give up hope, Dennis. Bb is about to publicly demonstrate critical thinking—certainly something to celebrate!

I will wait with great anticipation.

New small dog working out very well, as soon as she trains me. Not to be maudlin but she’s the brightest light right now. I’m financially more than comfortable, so at least that’s not a concern. Have helped and will continue to do so others re finances, but it is more than annoying with the assholes bombarding me with supplications and/or offers. Second best pleasure besides my dog is telling “we can help with your student loan….” spams, especially if can speak with a human. Damned it, perhaps I’ve been too blunt?!

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6389
Joined  31-01-2012

12 June 2019 12:52

Dennis Campbell - 11 June 2019 01:40 PM
nonverbal - 09 June 2019 07:56 PM

Bb is about to publicly demonstrate critical thinking—certainly something to celebrate!

I will wait with great anticipation.

Well now hold on a second. In the event things get really bleak and painful, and you actually do consider assisted suicide, reading Bb’s posts is a non-medical alternative to offing yourself. Be careful, though, because side effects include reconsidering death because it could be worse.

[ Edited: 12 June 2019 13:02 by Jb8989]

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

12 June 2019 14:07

Well now hold on a second. In the event things get really bleak and painful, and you actually do consider assisted suicide, reading Bb’s posts is a non-medical alternative to offing yourself. Be careful, though, because side effects include reconsidering death because it could be worse.

81 and alone, apart from a 2 y/o Yorkie mix female who’s sharper than I am, with no peers left alive, one’s perspective changes drastically.  When a mere 30, one has a past but many years ahead in which to enjoy or absorb changes, and to plan ahead. At 81, when the top step of a huge two-step staircase looms, it is a question and challenge. There’s no future more than a few months or years ahead, and that is a vacuum of meaning or interest. Wisdom from so many years of experience and education?  Maybe, but if any adds little but patience from the idiot passions of too many decades younger. Granted, in the last two months have lost to death a wife, close friend, dog of the last ten years who I ordered put down; plus moving into a studio apartment from a two bedroom apartment and 90% of possessions….all of that is a tad distracting.

The only adult/peer to adult communication I have now is here. As long as this small dog looking at me, having been rescued 7 days ago from the humane society but she rescued me more than the reverse is protected, I’d be more than open to not waking up tomorrow.  Depressing?  Of course.  Shit happens, then you flush it if possible. 

Ya’ll have a good day!

Dennis

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

12 June 2019 14:13

Dennis Campbell - 12 June 2019 02:07 PM

81 and alone, apart from a 2 y/o Yorkie mix female who’s sharper than I am, with no peers left alive, one’s perspective changes drastically.  When a mere 30, one has a past but many years ahead in which to enjoy or absorb changes, and to plan ahead. At 81, when the top step of a huge two-step staircase looms, it is a question and challenge. There’s no future more than a few months or years ahead, and that is a vacuum of meaning or interest. Wisdom from so many years of experience and education?  Maybe, but if any adds little but patience from the idiot passions of too many decades younger. Granted, in the last two months have lost to death a wife, close friend, dog of the last ten years who I ordered put down; plus moving into a studio apartment from a two bedroom apartment and 90% of possessions….all of that is a tad distracting.

The only adult/peer to adult communication I have now is here. As long as this small dog looking at me, having been rescued 7 days ago from the humane society but she rescued me more than the reverse is protected, I’d be more than open to not waking up tomorrow.  Depressing?  Of course.  Shit happens, then you flush it if possible. 

Ya’ll have a good day!

Dennis

Find someone online to argue with.  That should get the old ticker going!
Also spoil your doggie so you have lots of ‘I’m glad I dids’ in your current bucket.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

12 June 2019 14:18

My little guy, Scratch (in my avatar picture) is pushing 14.
He’s got some health issues, and we’re really just providing hospice care at home until he lets us know it’s time for the finish-line.
He can’t go up stairs alone any more, and even the dog door we have is a bit too much of a challenge for him.
On the upside, he’s on Cannabis Oil for the pain, so he’s going out like a celeb - with only the finest drugs.

My other guy, Sgt. Pepper (not in my avatar) has a touch of the jealousies, because we’re carrying Scratch up the stairs all the time.
Pep doesn’t like to be picked up, but he knows he wants as much attention as ol’ Scratchie is getting.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21683
Joined  11-03-2007

12 June 2019 14:21

Ya’ll have a good day!

Dennis

You’ve taken on the responsibility of a dog, so you have to live at least another 10 years.  Can’t check out now or anytime soon, sorry.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

12 June 2019 14:43

You’ve taken on the responsibility of a dog, so you have to live at least another 10 years.  Can’t check out now or anytime soon, sorry.

That’s about all that’s keeping me here. Stupid little dog who insists on sleeping with me…..no sane person would accept such a pain in the ass.  Excuse me, she’s demanding my attention.  Mumble, grumble.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6389
Joined  31-01-2012

12 June 2019 14:57

Ya’ll have a good day!

Dennis

I mean, sure, but then again nothing ever truly mattered; not then or now. Meaning and passion were just some shit you found along the way. But when death comes knocking, everything changes. Except that it doesn’t. It just seems like the show will go on without you, when in reality you know enough to know that you’re not actually you and this isn’t anything like what you think. So fuck it. Enjoy what’s left with the vigor of the delightful curmudgeon that you are.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

12 June 2019 15:14

I mean, sure, but then again nothing ever truly mattered; not then or now. Meaning and passion were just some shit you found along the way. But when death comes knocking, everything changes. Except that it doesn’t. It just seems like the show will go on without you, when in reality you know enough to know that you’re not actually you and this isn’t anything like what you think. So fuck it. Enjoy what’s left with the vigor of the delightful curmudgeon that you are.

Good reply.  Even if it is from an attorney. I suppose they’re human as well….?  Can one hire beautiful women to love ugly old men?  Nah, there’s got to be a limit.  Can a Priest….no, they’re limited to self-serving platitudes and/or little kids.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21683
Joined  11-03-2007

12 June 2019 16:24

Dennis Campbell - 12 June 2019 03:14 PM

Good reply.  Even if it is from an attorney. I suppose they’re human as well….?  Can one hire beautiful women to love ugly old men?  Nah, there’s got to be a limit.  Can a Priest….no, they’re limited to self-serving platitudes and/or little kids.

I think one can hire beautiful women to love ugly old men, but it comes at a very high price.  Dogs are cheaper.

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›