‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 > 

Reflections on the end of life and anticipated end

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

15 June 2019 08:36

Dennis Campbell - 15 June 2019 08:02 AM

Let me post this situation and ask for any advice. 
I’m living alone with a small dog.  I can easily, using Alexa, be laying on the floor, call for 912 as my IP7 will interface with Alexa and call anyone on the Contact list, including 911 or Emergency.  That’s not my concern.  If I become unconscious and/or die, it could be weeks before anyone comes by to check, and that’ll leave that small dog to suffer and perhaps die. 

Anyone know of a smart watch application that would, if I’m unresponsive and/or dead, contact 911 or other contacts without my having to press buttons or speak? 

Dennis

There are alert systems that have fall detection and daily check-in services.

How to Choose a Medical Alert System
https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/home-care/info-2017/medic-alert-systems-options.html

[ Edited: 15 June 2019 10:03 by Jan_CAN]

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3830
Joined  20-11-2013

15 June 2019 08:49

Sounds like you’re living alone.  Might I suggest that a “casual” assisted living facility would be in order?  My mother-in-law, in the early stages of her Alzheimer’s/dementia, was moved into one that was quite nice.  Single rooms were available, as well as double occupancy.  The level of care was established by the individual’s needs (but no hospital beds).  Meals were provided in a large dining room.
A staff member would check in from time to time, but not obtrusively, to assess one’s condition.  There were several large communal rooms for conversation, card games, organized events, etc. and participation was always optional.  My mother-in-law stayed in such a facility for a couple of years, until her physical health began to deteriorate, when the family moved her to a facility with 24 hour nursing care.
When my wife was scouting around for such a casual facility, there were some that were pet-friendly; your little dog could remain with you.  But there would be no chance of you lying dormant for any length of time without appropriate attention and/or action.  My mother was in such a facility when she died.  No pets at that one, but one evening when a staff member came to announce the evening meal, my mother said she didn’t want to go to the dining room, so the staffer said she would bring a tray to her room.  She returned shortly with the tray, but my mother had expired.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

15 June 2019 09:08

bbearren - 15 June 2019 08:49 AM

Sounds like you’re living alone.  Might I suggest that a “casual” assisted living facility would be in order?  My mother-in-law, in the early stages of her Alzheimer’s/dementia, was moved into one that was quite nice.  Single rooms were available, as well as double occupancy.  The level of care was established by the individual’s needs (but no hospital beds).  Meals were provided in a large dining room.
A staff member would check in from time to time, but not obtrusively, to assess one’s condition.  There were several large communal rooms for conversation, card games, organized events, etc. and participation was always optional.  My mother-in-law stayed in such a facility for a couple of years, until her physical health began to deteriorate, when the family moved her to a facility with 24 hour nursing care.
When my wife was scouting around for such a casual facility, there were some that were pet-friendly; your little dog could remain with you.  But there would be no chance of you lying dormant for any length of time without appropriate attention and/or action.  My mother was in such a facility when she died.  No pets at that one, but one evening when a staff member came to announce the evening meal, my mother said she didn’t want to go to the dining room, so the staffer said she would bring a tray to her room.  She returned shortly with the tray, but my mother had expired.

No dogs allowed.  Costs six times cost here.  Don’t need yet that level of care, but could happen.

[ Edited: 15 June 2019 10:25 by Dennis Campbell]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8683
Joined  20-02-2006

15 June 2019 10:36

I’m living alone with a small dog.  I can easily, using Alexa, be laying on the floor, call for 912 as my IP7 will interface with Alexa and call anyone on the Contact list, including 911 or Emergency.  That’s not my concern.  If I become unconscious and/or die, it could be weeks before anyone comes by to check, and that’ll leave that small dog to suffer and perhaps die. 

Anyone know of a smart watch application that would, if I’m unresponsive and/or dead, contact 911 or other contacts without my having to press buttons or speak? 

Dennis

This is a legitimate concern.  Why not call ‘senior help agency’ in your area and ask if there’s a trustworthy volunteer who would look in on you and pooch every day at convenient time - bringing you favorite snack or drink and a milkbone for the four-legger..  Chat for 5 minutes?  A good natured high-schooler, boy or girl, who could use a weekly $50?  Trust me, Pooch would soon learn the hour and be at the door waiting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43rLhelNLM  (“Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn’t” - one of the best scenes in cinematic history)

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

15 June 2019 12:38

unsmoked - 15 June 2019 10:36 AM

Dennis

This is a legitimate concern.  Why not call ‘senior help agency’ in your area and ask if there’s a trustworthy volunteer who would look in on you and pooch every day at convenient time - bringing you favorite snack or drink and a milkbone for the four-legger..  Chat for 5 minutes?  A good natured high-schooler, boy or girl, who could use a weekly $50?  Trust me, Pooch would soon learn the hour and be at the door waiting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43rLhelNLM  (“Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn’t” - one of the best scenes in cinematic history)

Good idea, will keep that in mind.  Assisted living here, no dogs, is more than 6k a month; much less expensive or restraining to one day bring in someone once a day at $25/hr

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

16 June 2019 11:39

Dennis Campbell - 15 June 2019 12:38 PM
unsmoked - 15 June 2019 10:36 AM

Dennis

Good idea, will keep that in mind.  Assisted living here, no dogs, is more than 6k a month; much less expensive or restraining to one day bring in someone once a day at $25/hr

I haven’t reviewed all the suggestions here.  Has someone already stressed the importance of getting out every day?  They say that dogs eventually take on the character of their human companion.  https://fineartamerica.com/featured/he-wont-bite-harry-bliss.html

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

16 June 2019 13:59

They say that dogs eventually take on the character of their human companion.

You mean she’ll become a cranky 81 y/o man?

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15886
Joined  17-12-2006

16 June 2019 21:08

Spent time this afternoon visiting with an 88 year old friend (the woman who married us, in fact). She is quite healthy and fit, although her short term memory is shot so, as she said, she lives in the flow. She has two gentlemen friends, 95 and 105, both currently out of town (the 105 guy is in Paris). Other than that, she spends her time walking about the parks or helping out other residents in the retirement home, e.g., pushing them about in wheelchairs and such. My wife asked her what the food was like in the dinning room and she was very diplomatic: “It’s quite adequate given their requirements and budget limitations.”

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

17 June 2019 13:11

Talked with my Uncle’s wife last night; he died 3 years ago, she’s been alone since. She noted as have I the decrease in contact others;people tend to avoid the survivor. Not usually from malice but from discomfort.  After you say “I’m so sorry….” the conversation decreases. The only other agencies who seek contact are, no surprise, those seeking to express their sympathy while offering some product or service.  Cracked me up when one such wanted to help me pay off my student loan!  I really wish I could’ve spoken to a live person in order to string them along as long as I could before suggesting something about their character.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  31-10-2015

17 June 2019 13:14

You’ve got to get away from there, Dennis. Other parts of the country are warm and hospitable. Warm, at least!

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

17 June 2019 13:38

Dennis Campbell - 17 June 2019 01:11 PM

Talked with my Uncle’s wife last night; he died 3 years ago, she’s been alone since. She noted as have I the decrease in contact others;people tend to avoid the survivor. Not usually from malice but from discomfort.  After you say “I’m so sorry….” the conversation decreases. The only other agencies who seek contact are, no surprise, those seeking to express their sympathy while offering some product or service.  Cracked me up when one such wanted to help me pay off my student loan!  I really wish I could’ve spoken to a live person in order to string them along as long as I could before suggesting something about their character.

Bernie and Alexandria will help you pay it off.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21694
Joined  11-03-2007

17 June 2019 14:06

I’ll discuss vodka, cheese, and football with you.  Come visit in Texas, and bring your little dog, too.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

17 June 2019 14:33

EN - 17 June 2019 02:06 PM

I’ll discuss vodka, cheese, and football with you.  Come visit in Texas, and bring your little dog, too.

Would very much like to do so, but it is a tad far to drive.  Maybe in the Fall, when temperatures there are suitable for human habitation. If so will seek to drive with dog….but the chances are small.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21694
Joined  11-03-2007

17 June 2019 14:38

Dennis Campbell - 17 June 2019 02:33 PM
EN - 17 June 2019 02:06 PM

Would very much like to do so, but it is a tad far to drive.  Maybe in the Fall, when temperatures there are suitable for human habitation. If so will seek to drive with dog….but the chances are small.

Yeah, come in the fall or spring, not summer.  I’d say October/November or March/April.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

17 June 2019 14:43

EN,

Will try

Dennis

‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 >