Joined  15-02-2007

01 June 2019 11:10

No surprise here.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1314
Joined  01-11-2014

01 June 2019 13:23

Personal wealth and greed are more important to these conservative billionaires than the future of life on this planet, or the survival of their own descendants.

The banality of evil.

It’s simply mind-boggling.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15845
Joined  17-12-2006

01 June 2019 15:04

Cheshire Cat - 01 June 2019 01:23 PM

Personal wealth and greed are more important to these conservative billionaires than the future of life on this planet, or the survival of their own descendants.

The banality of evil.

They figure that they can survive in save enclaves, served by the techno-peasants who struggle along in the hot world.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1314
Joined  01-11-2014

01 June 2019 17:53

burt - 01 June 2019 03:04 PM
Cheshire Cat - 01 June 2019 01:23 PM

The banality of evil.

They figure that they can survive in save enclaves, served by the techno-peasants who struggle along in the hot world.

Perhaps their future descendants will evolve to look like this:

Image Attachments

Morlock.jpeg

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2760
Joined  19-01-2015

02 June 2019 04:33

Thanks for the OP article.

I don’t understand how short-sightedness can be worth that much.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3418
Joined  21-10-2016

02 June 2019 10:48

Facts and evidence matter in confronting climate crisis
https://davidsuzuki.org/story/facts-evidence-matter-confronting-climate-crisis/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuO2s5pjL4gIVEwOGCh1Vdw3-EAAYASAAEgI9LfD_BwE

Media outlets with considerable, credible coverage include The Guardian and National Geographic, and environmentally focused websites such as Grist, EcoWatch and the National Observer. Desmog Blog’s timely articles and extensive database shed light on what’s behind concerted efforts to downplay or dismiss the seriousness of climate change. Websites for environmental groups like the David Suzuki Foundation, Pembina Institute and others are also good information sources. Just Cool It!, a book coming out April 22 by Foundation senior editor Ian Hanington and me explains climate change and focuses on solutions.

Many other books, websites, publications, films and more offer clear explanations of climate change and what it means for us. The point is that evidence-based information arms people with tools to confront humanity’s greatest crisis. It’s increasingly clear we can’t rely on politicians to get us out of the mess we’ve created. The current U.S. administration is full of people who reject the overwhelming evidence for human-caused climate change ...

Will good information change the views of those who reject environmental protection? It’s hard to know. But for people who care and want to understand, facts are crucial to bringing about much-needed change.

The silver lining of the irrationality that has descended on the U.S. is that it has sparked a growing movement to promote scientific evidence and science-based solutions. The March for Science, taking place in cities throughout the U.S. and beyond on Earth Day, April 22, is one example.

We have scientific evidence and rational arguments on our side. Let’s use them to support solutions.

There is no doubt that money means power, and that greed and power corrupt.  Which is why billionaires and corporations need to be controlled (e.g. limitations on campaign contributions).  The climate change denial message underscores the need for scientists to speak out loudly and clearly about the problems and possible solutions, in a manner understood by the lay person, and for the media to report this message widely.  The majority of people (which includes Americans) aren’t stupid if provided with the correct information.  Power to the people!

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

02 June 2019 12:22

Jan_CAN - 02 June 2019 10:48 AM

There is no doubt that money means power, and that greed and power corrupt.  Which is why billionaires and corporations need to be controlled (e.g. limitations on campaign contributions).  The climate change denial message underscores the need for scientists to speak out loudly and clearly about the problems and possible solutions, in a manner understood by the lay person, and for the media to report this message widely.  The majority of people (which includes Americans) aren’t stupid if provided with the correct information.  Power to the people!

Try living here. We Americans aren’t exactly the sharpest tools in the Western shed.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

02 June 2019 13:11

proximacentauri - 02 June 2019 12:22 PM

Try living here. We Americans aren’t exactly the sharpest tools in the Western shed.

Haha (or maybe not so funny?).  Won’t argue with that – wish that was acknowledged more here at the forum though.  wink

I estimate that only about 30-40% of Americans are (politically) stupid, which granted leaves a lot of stupid people, but still ...  And people don’t have to be all that smart to ‘get’ climate change, or need to understand all the science behind it – they just have to be smart enough to question and to know who best to listen to for the answers – which of course isn’t the billionaires, corporations and politicians.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

02 June 2019 14:19

Jan_CAN - 02 June 2019 01:11 PM
proximacentauri - 02 June 2019 12:22 PM

Haha (or maybe not so funny?).  Won’t argue with that – wish that was acknowledged more here at the forum though.  wink

I estimate that only about 30-40% of Americans are (politically) stupid, which granted leaves a lot of stupid people, but still ...  And people don’t have to be all that smart to ‘get’ climate change, or need to understand all the science behind it – they just have to be smart enough to question and to know who best to listen to for the answers – which of course isn’t the billionaires, corporations and politicians.

What irks me most as an American is the discounting, or outright distrust, of Science here. It’s embarrassing. Undoubtedly, the disproportionate number of Americans who are Religious compared with other Western nations, factors into this. Whether it’s distrust of Climate Science, Evolutionary Science, or other scientific theories.

So, the powerful here have an easier time duping the powerless, because they start with a target demographic whose religion informs them that their ‘beliefs’ are probably more important than what Science might have to offer. You’ll often hear them say…“I don’t believe in climate change”, because in their world, everything reduces to a belief. And their beliefs about the world in general, are often harmonious with their religiosity, which in turn is most often in harmony with their political persuasions..

Again, this quote by Isaac Asimov in 1980 rings so true today…“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

That said, the tide is slowly turning and Millennials are helping this trend, but I wonder if it will be too little too late, especially in light of the current political setback.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/04/19/how-americans-see-climate-change-in-5-charts/

But I’m not giving up hope just yet…

[ Edited: 02 June 2019 15:19 by proximacentauri]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

02 June 2019 17:04

proximacentauri - 02 June 2019 02:19 PM

What irks me most as an American is the discounting, or outright distrust, of Science here. It’s embarrassing. Undoubtedly, the disproportionate number of Americans who are Religious compared with other Western nations, factors into this. Whether it’s distrust of Climate Science, Evolutionary Science, or other scientific theories.

So, the powerful here have an easier time duping the powerless, because they start with a target demographic whose religion informs them that their ‘beliefs’ are probably more important than what Science might have to offer. You’ll often hear them say…“I don’t believe in climate change”, because in their world, everything reduces to a belief. And their beliefs about the world in general, are often harmonious with their religiosity, which in turn is most often in harmony with their political persuasions..

Again, this quote by Isaac Asimov in 1980 rings so true today…“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

That said, the tide is slowly turning and Millennials are helping this trend, but I wonder if it will be too little too late, especially in light of the current political setback.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/04/19/how-americans-see-climate-change-in-5-charts/

But I’m not giving up hope just yet…

The influence that fundamentalist religion has, particularly in American society and politics, is dishearteninng and I sympathize with your frustration.  It seems clear that they constitute a large percentage of the deniers.

It does appear that the tide is turning.  I think the young are the greatest hope – many are more open-minded and excited about science, they are better educated, pursue careers in the sciences, etc.  I don’t think it’ll be too late if these young adults would just grab the reins – showing up to vote in greater numbers would be a good start.  Time to get rid of those in power with old fogy ideas.

I don’t know how much of a factor it is, but I think some fault can be found with the media in how they report science news.  People hear on the news that “The latest studies show ...”, only to have it refuted later.  They’ll often do a story for the sake of attention/controversy, even if that study is obscure and not yet verified by the scientific community – just for the headline.  Some people tune out and stop believing all that is claimed to be scientific.  Also, the mainstream media could do a better job in refuting the deniers by better and more extensive reporting of the basic scientific facts.  Documentary makers and scientist-teachers (e.g. David Suzuki) have and can do the further job of in-depth education.

I’m with you – let’s not give up hope just yet.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7659
Joined  22-02-2014

02 June 2019 19:04

Once again, most of these roads lead back to oligarchs. Undo citizen’s united, shut down lobbying, throw a wealth taxes on the uber rich. we can turn this thing around!