1 2 > 

Municipal support of blatantly anti-feminist behavior

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1697
Joined  31-10-2015

05 June 2019 09:00

Sonoma County can either accept payment for services they’ve agreed to provide outside a special event, or provide similar services for free. Historic decision making gets done at this event, by the way:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/9668387-181/sonoma-county-supervisors-question-bohemian?artslide=0

Lots of people somehow imagine that all worthwhile feminist goals have been achieved.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5057
Joined  28-05-2009

05 June 2019 09:52

It’s an interesting question and one that I confront regularly with events and organizations near my home. I think any group from any point on the political spectrum should reflect on what kind of emphasis they wish to make on identity politics and exclusivity for this very reason. Many people seem to think that the logical answer to an exclusive mens club is an exclusive womens club. Or substitute any category you like. In my view exclusivity simply reinforces exclusivity. I prefer events, venues and causes that are inclusive and focused on principle rather than identity.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  105
Joined  14-09-2017

05 June 2019 10:05

So am I getting this correct - they want to review a contract that pays the county $150k and just foot the bill themselves because it may be illegal?  Why not go after the source - sounds like service is provided no matter what.

Never heard of this gathering but sounds like a guy’s golf trip.  Is having a private all male club or gathering illegal?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

05 June 2019 10:59

DEGENERATEON - 05 June 2019 10:05 AM

So am I getting this correct - they want to review a contract that pays the county $150k and just foot the bill themselves because it may be illegal?  Why not go after the source - sounds like service is provided no matter what.

Never heard of this gathering but sounds like a guy’s golf trip.  Is having a private all male club or gathering illegal?

This looks to be a pretty good article about Bohemian Grove, though it’s a few years old:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/bohemian-grove-where-the-rich-and-powerful-go-to-misbehave/2011/06/15/AGPV1sVH_blog.html?utm_term=.93e6370aa991

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5057
Joined  28-05-2009

05 June 2019 22:22

The photo album on the google maps page for Bohemian Grove is quite chilling. I’m starting to believe some of the conspiracy theories. Just ew.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  631
Joined  20-07-2017

06 June 2019 04:09

I had heard about it from this Jon Ronson documentary (feat. Alex Jones)

https://youtu.be/dahQCEzjkfM

(He also discussed Alex on a recent podcast https://www.thisamericanlife.org/670/beware-the-jabberwock/act-two-4 )

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17419
Joined  15-02-2008

06 June 2019 06:36

Up next feminist politicians debate whether to fund male only bathrooms.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  21-10-2016

06 June 2019 07:48

GAD - 06 June 2019 06:36 AM

Not really a concern for these creepy Bohemian Grove guys though – as per the article nonverbal posted, they just “pee wherever they like”.

You know you are inside the Bohemian Grove when you come down a trail in the woods and hear piano music from amid a group of tents and then round a bend to see a man with a beer in one hand ... urinating into the bushes. This is the most gloried-in ritual of the encampment, the freedom of powerful men to pee wherever they like, a right the club has invoked when trying to fight government anti-sex discrimination efforts and one curtailed only when it comes to a few popular redwoods just outside the Dining Circle.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

06 June 2019 08:05

Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 07:48 AM

Not really a concern for these creepy Bohemian Grove guys though – as per the article nonverbal posted, they just “pee wherever they like”.

You know you are inside the Bohemian Grove when you come down a trail in the woods and hear piano music from amid a group of tents and then round a bend to see a man with a beer in one hand ... urinating into the bushes. This is the most gloried-in ritual of the encampment, the freedom of powerful men to pee wherever they like, a right the club has invoked when trying to fight government anti-sex discrimination efforts and one curtailed only when it comes to a few popular redwoods just outside the Dining Circle.

They are only “creepy” because you want them to be and read an article that confirmed what you already wanted to believe. I know this because you knew nothing about them until yesterday and have never met any of them.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

06 June 2019 08:19

GAD - 06 June 2019 08:05 AM

They are only “creepy” because you want them to be and read an article that confirmed what you already wanted to believe. I know this because you knew nothing about them until yesterday and have never met any of them.

We can’t all be as open-minded and unbiased as you are.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

06 June 2019 08:33

Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 08:19 AM

True!

Ask yourself, if this were a women only event would you be saying they are creepy? No, you would be justifying why it is OK, why poor poor women need a place to get away from bad men etc etc.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

06 June 2019 08:46

Keep in mind that Spy magazine writer Philip Weiss, who posed as a guest at B.G. for seven days in 1989, is only one person. For all I know, no one else holds the same opinion about the importance of providing trees with testosterone-soaked urine.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

06 June 2019 08:53

nonverbal - 06 June 2019 08:46 AM

Keep in mind that Spy magazine writer Philip Weiss, who posed as a guest at B.G. for seven days in 1989, is only one person. For all I know, no one else holds the same opinion about the importance of providing trees with testosterone-soaked urine.

You know how many people go camping every year? Millions, 10’s of millions? Where do you think they piss and shit?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

06 June 2019 08:56

GAD - 06 June 2019 08:53 AM
nonverbal - 06 June 2019 08:46 AM

You know how many people go camping every year? Millions, 10’s of millions? Where do you think they piss and shit?

I wasn’t disagreeing, GAD. Weiss reports a great deal of importance behind the pissing, but he could have just invented/imagined the significance. At any rate, I doubt if thousand-year-old trees are bothered by it.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

06 June 2019 09:08

GAD - 06 June 2019 08:33 AM

True!

Ask yourself, if this were a women only event would you be saying they are creepy? No, you would be justifying why it is OK, why poor poor women need a place to get away from bad men etc etc.

They are creepy because these types of secretive men’s groups are about power and control.  And they don’t just exclude women, but most other men too.

[ Edited: 06 June 2019 09:21 by Jan_CAN]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

06 June 2019 09:31

Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 09:08 AM
GAD - 06 June 2019 08:33 AM

True!

They are creepy because these types of secretive men’s groups are about power and control.  And they don’t just exclude women, but most other men too.

But if it were a secretive women’s group about power and control you would cheer it on and say how wonderful it is (even if they peed in the woods).

1 2 >