06 June 2019 09:47

GAD - 06 June 2019 09:31 AM
Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 09:08 AM
GAD - 06 June 2019 08:33 AM
Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 08:19 AM
GAD - 06 June 2019 08:05 AM
Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 07:48 AM
GAD - 06 June 2019 06:36 AM

Up next feminist politicians debate whether to fund male only bathrooms.

Not really a concern for these creepy Bohemian Grove guys though – as per the article nonverbal posted, they just “pee wherever they like”.

You know you are inside the Bohemian Grove when you come down a trail in the woods and hear piano music from amid a group of tents and then round a bend to see a man with a beer in one hand ... urinating into the bushes. This is the most gloried-in ritual of the encampment, the freedom of powerful men to pee wherever they like, a right the club has invoked when trying to fight government anti-sex discrimination efforts and one curtailed only when it comes to a few popular redwoods just outside the Dining Circle.

They are only “creepy” because you want them to be and read an article that confirmed what you already wanted to believe. I know this because you knew nothing about them until yesterday and have never met any of them.

We can’t all be as open-minded and unbiased as you are.

True!

Ask yourself, if this were a women only event would you be saying they are creepy? No, you would be justifying why it is OK, why poor poor women need a place to get away from bad men etc etc.

They are creepy because these types of secretive men’s groups are about power and control.  And they don’t just exclude women, but most other men too.

But if it were a secretive women’s group about power and control you would cheer it on and say how wonderful it is (even if they peed in the woods).

As women as yet don’t even hold equality in regards to wealth and power it’s rather a moot point.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  706
Joined  20-07-2017

06 June 2019 10:06

FWIW the peeing in the woods comes up in the documentary I linked to.

What do you all think are the similarities and differences between Bohemian Grove and Burning Man?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1807
Joined  31-10-2015

06 June 2019 10:17

mapadofu - 06 June 2019 10:06 AM

FWIW the peeing in the woods comes up in the documentary I linked to.

What do you all think are the similarities and differences between Bohemian Grove and Burning Man?

One difference is that nuclear weapon-use kinds of decisions get made at Bohemian Grove while decisions made at Burning Man are probably more tentative.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17622
Joined  15-02-2008

06 June 2019 14:46

Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 09:47 AM
GAD - 06 June 2019 09:31 AM
Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 09:08 AM
GAD - 06 June 2019 08:33 AM
Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 08:19 AM
GAD - 06 June 2019 08:05 AM
Jan_CAN - 06 June 2019 07:48 AM
GAD - 06 June 2019 06:36 AM

Up next feminist politicians debate whether to fund male only bathrooms.

Not really a concern for these creepy Bohemian Grove guys though – as per the article nonverbal posted, they just “pee wherever they like”.

You know you are inside the Bohemian Grove when you come down a trail in the woods and hear piano music from amid a group of tents and then round a bend to see a man with a beer in one hand ... urinating into the bushes. This is the most gloried-in ritual of the encampment, the freedom of powerful men to pee wherever they like, a right the club has invoked when trying to fight government anti-sex discrimination efforts and one curtailed only when it comes to a few popular redwoods just outside the Dining Circle.

They are only “creepy” because you want them to be and read an article that confirmed what you already wanted to believe. I know this because you knew nothing about them until yesterday and have never met any of them.

We can’t all be as open-minded and unbiased as you are.

True!

Ask yourself, if this were a women only event would you be saying they are creepy? No, you would be justifying why it is OK, why poor poor women need a place to get away from bad men etc etc.

They are creepy because these types of secretive men’s groups are about power and control.  And they don’t just exclude women, but most other men too.

But if it were a secretive women’s group about power and control you would cheer it on and say how wonderful it is (even if they peed in the woods).

As women as yet don’t even hold equality in regards to wealth and power it’s rather a moot point.

Sure they do, just not you, that is why you play the poor poor victim, cause if the world were fair you (every women) would be rich and powerful, but your not and it can’t be your fault, so you must be a victim, and victims need a villain to blame.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9608
Joined  20-10-2006

07 June 2019 21:11

DEGENERATEON - 05 June 2019 10:05 AM

So am I getting this correct - they want to review a contract that pays the county $150k and just foot the bill themselves because it may be illegal?  Why not go after the source - sounds like service is provided no matter what.

Yeah, that is a real head scratcher.  Deny payment for service on principle, yet provide the service for free despite the very same principle.  I get the feeling we are not getting the whole story.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  706
Joined  20-07-2017

08 June 2019 05:14

My thoughts too.  If the event is on private property then why are they on the hook to provide security?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 June 2019 06:20

mapadofu - 08 June 2019 05:14 AM

My thoughts too.  If the event is on private property then why are they on the hook to provide security?

Because the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Department provides the only law enforcement they have there. If the sheriff fails in some major way to provide security to a high-profile organization, he might not get re-elected when the time comes. I can’t imagine the county refusing to accept payment from the wealthy, pissing, alpha males because members of the Board of Supervisors also worry about being re-elected.

I posted the story link only to point to an example of sexist behavior that’s embedded in American culture. No sensible answer can be found because the pissing billionaire boys are not acting sensibly by refusing to admit women.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 June 2019 06:42

mapadofu - 08 June 2019 05:14 AM

Keep in mind that officers on the scene won’t actually enter the property unless something unusual happens. They’re needed for security just outside the property, if I understand it right.

[ Edited: 08 June 2019 06:48 by nonverbal]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 June 2019 10:24

Skipshot - 07 June 2019 09:11 PM

So am I getting this correct - they want to review a contract that pays the county $150k and just foot the bill themselves because it may be illegal?  Why not go after the source - sounds like service is provided no matter what.

Yeah, that is a real head scratcher.  Deny payment for service on principle, yet provide the service for free despite the very same principle.  I get the feeling we are not getting the whole story.

The Press Democrat published an editorial this morning that summarizes the situation. Here’s its final paragraph:

The Bohemian Club’s membership policy may be outdated, but it isn’t outlawed. And the bottom line is the bottom line: If the club pays the full cost for law enforcement, taxpayers, whatever their views on the subject, aren’t subsidizing its all-male campout.
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion/9679968-181/pd-editorial-the-bottom-line

I can’t help but assume that if annual meetings of the supposedly most powerful political players in the world align so strongly in their opinion that females are inferior, far more aggressive protests are in order. Maybe my property taxes will go up a quarter to cover the cost of breaking up a much needed riot.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

08 June 2019 14:17

nonverbal - 08 June 2019 10:24 AM

The Press Democrat published an editorial this morning that summarizes the situation. Here’s its final paragraph:

The Bohemian Club’s membership policy may be outdated, but it isn’t outlawed. And the bottom line is the bottom line: If the club pays the full cost for law enforcement, taxpayers, whatever their views on the subject, aren’t subsidizing its all-male campout.

I can’t help but assume that if annual meetings of the supposedly most powerful political players in the world align so strongly in their opinion that females are inferior, far more aggressive protests are in order. Maybe my property taxes will go up a quarter to cover the cost of breaking up a much needed riot.

Right.  If the cost of security is paid by the Bohemian Club, then what’s the problem?  I think the problem is resentment of an all-male club of rich and powerful existing and trying to make them feel uncomfortable just because you can.

It the report is accurate, then the question to the supervisors is, do the supes want the taxpayers to pay for security or do the supes want the Bohemian Club to pay for security?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 June 2019 14:24

Skipshot - 08 June 2019 02:17 PM
nonverbal - 08 June 2019 10:24 AM

Right.  If the cost of security is paid by the Bohemian Club, then what’s the problem?  I think the problem is resentment of an all-male club of rich and powerful existing and trying to make them feel uncomfortable just because you can.

It the report is accurate, then the question to the supervisors is, do the supes want the taxpayers to pay for security or do the supes want the Bohemian Club to pay for security?

It’s politics, of course. Some of the board members are stirring things up. The supes can’t refuse the money without a ton of risk. A ton.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

11 June 2019 17:31

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

12 June 2019 00:28

What frosts me the most about this whole thing is that our very own jb will be at this clambake in the Redwoods, and, as one who lives about an hour drive away and for how much he professes to love me, I did not get an invitation. How about you, nv?  I think you’re his favorite and even closer to the campground.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

12 June 2019 08:08

He’ll be at Bohemian Grove? Whew—he’s more powerful than I knew!

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

12 June 2019 09:06

nonverbal - 12 June 2019 08:08 AM

He’ll be at Bohemian Grove? Whew—he’s more powerful than I knew!

I heard* the US government pays him “protection” money.

*Total fabrication

< 1 2