1 2 3 >  Last ›

When?

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3832
Joined  20-11-2013

06 June 2019 21:11

Critical thinking is the analysis of facts to form a judgment.  The subject is complex, and several different definitions exist, which generally include the rational, skeptical, unbiased analysis, or evaluation of factual evidence.  Critical thinking is self-directed, self-disciplined, self-monitored, and self-corrective thinking.  It presupposes assent to rigorous standards of excellence and mindful command of their use. It entails effective communication and problem-solving abilities as well as a commitment to overcome native egocentrism and sociocentrism.”

I’m still waiting to see some evidence of this stuff here on these forums.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6394
Joined  22-02-2005

06 June 2019 21:40

I’m guessing that you just see Monsters from the Ego, right?

That’s handy.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

07 June 2019 08:33

Nhoj Morley - 06 June 2019 09:40 PM

That’s handy.

You and I have shared a couple of my simple thought processes and conclusions.  Did you see Frood peeking out from behind any of that?

I don’t do Frood.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

07 June 2019 10:50

But at least you managed to be casually dismissive toward all 12-15? regular members here…

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1840
Joined  31-10-2015

07 June 2019 11:14

bbearren, to Nhoj - 07 June 2019 08:33 AM

.. .

I don’t do Frood.

Has someone accused you of doing Frood? Also—if you actually were or are doing Frood, how might your forum co-contributors here be informed of such activity? You do seem to have certain things settled, to say the least.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

07 June 2019 11:32

Jefe - 07 June 2019 10:50 AM

But at least you managed to be casually dismissive toward all 12-15? regular members here…

Consider the source, which should be, for the regulars here, easily dismissible, should it not?

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

07 June 2019 11:51

nonverbal - 07 June 2019 11:14 AM

.. .

I don’t do Frood.

Has someone accused you of doing Frood?

Ego (Freudian), one of the three constructs in Sigmund Freud’s structural model of the psyche.”

Nhoj Morley - 06 June 2019 09:40 PM

Also—if you actually were or are doing Frood, how might your forum co-contributors here be informed of such activity?

This thread posted: 22 November 2014.

You do seem to have certain things settled, to say the least.

Only a few, but yes.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

07 June 2019 12:05

bbearren - 07 June 2019 11:32 AM
Jefe - 07 June 2019 10:50 AM

Consider the source, which should be, for the regulars here, easily dismissible, should it not?

Right.  Just ignore the pot-shots, because the kettle fired them off.  wink

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1840
Joined  31-10-2015

07 June 2019 12:31

bbearren - 07 June 2019 11:51 AM
nonverbal - 07 June 2019 11:14 AM

.. .

I don’t do Frood.

Has someone accused you of doing Frood?

Ego (Freudian), one of the three constructs in Sigmund Freud’s structural model of the psyche.”

. . .

Sorry, bbearren—I’m only trying to understand you. Was “Frood” an Internet correction of “Freud”? If so, I learned a cool new word this morning. I can be cool, right?

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

07 June 2019 12:51

nonverbal - 07 June 2019 12:31 PM

Sorry, bbearren—I’m only trying to understand you. Was “Frood” an Internet correction of “Freud”? If so, I learned a cool new word this morning. I can be cool, right?

It dates from my teens.  One of my classmates (not having heard the name pronounced by anyone) quoted something from “Sigmund Frood”  It has been the default pronunciation for a handful of us since that day.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6394
Joined  22-02-2005

07 June 2019 13:16

In order for a witty response to have some bite, it must have some sense of the ongoing context in an unfolding conversation. It does not look like you know where the towel is. But it wasn’t a reference to a hoopy frood anyway. Hard to tell.

I don’t do Freud either but like millions of folks who never read his stuff, I used the popular vernacular meaning of ego. Oh, and monsters is a vernacular too, just in case you are looking at wiki again.

You are a friendly and kind-heart-ed guy but no one seems more consumed with their own reputation than yourself, which is saying a lot ‘round here. The stardust thing is cute but hard to take as humility.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

07 June 2019 15:02

Nhoj Morley - 07 June 2019 01:16 PM

In order for a witty response to have some bite, it must have some sense of the ongoing context in an unfolding conversation. It does not look like you know where the towel is. But it wasn’t a reference to a hoopy frood anyway. Hard to tell.

I don’t do Freud either but like millions of folks who never read his stuff, I used the popular vernacular meaning of ego. Oh, and monsters is a vernacular too, just in case you are looking at wiki again.

You are a friendly and kind-heart-ed guy but no one seems more consumed with their own reputation than yourself, which is saying a lot ‘round here. The stardust thing is cute but hard to take as humility.

“The stardust thing” is born out in hard scientific evidence, as is the genetic thing; hard scientific evidence.  That I am the confluence of genetics and experience is as real as it gets, scientific evidence-wise.  That I embrace this fact-based reality is the only “reputation” to which I aspire.  As for “consumed”, allow me to quote LadyJane from this post in “The Tidal Wave Of Change” thread:

LadyJane - 29 May 2019 12:04 PM

... I’ve been down this hall before.  The one where you are immediately faced with ridiculous spin on what you wrote and asked define it.  To define things you didn’t say.  This means untangling a mess of someone else’s making while everyone is forced to wait.  Stuck in traffic until they manage to find the nearest exit.  All because someone couldn’t just take the time to read carefully and mask their seething contempt for the poster.  You can’t have conversations with people who are reacting to your presence alone.  One has to wonder why a patron who finds someone’s posts so “ambiguous” and “cowardly” or admittedly finds the person “insufferable” wouldn’t simply opt to steer clear and leave well enough alone.  Life is short.  I have no trouble at all ignoring people.  Even the ones following me around like lost puppies.  Flailing wildly, seemingly unaware of their projections, refusing to embark until they get their bearings by shoving people aside so they can show us all the way. ...

Not that I compare myself to LadyJane in any way, but she does explain that aspect quite well indeed.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  01-11-2014

07 June 2019 17:50

I don’t recall doing the Frood either.

I might have done the Strand in the 70s however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MJQxvX5WvA

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  335
Joined  07-02-2017

07 June 2019 18:32

Gotta love Roxy Music! And the 70s!

I recall doing the Food (if Fritos, Chips, and Packaged Cookies qualify) right after doing the Pot, in the 70s…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9wuaVV33I

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

07 June 2019 19:02

Cheshire Cat - 07 June 2019 05:50 PM

I don’t recall doing the Frood either.

proximacentauri - 07 June 2019 06:32 PM

Gotta love Roxy Music! And the 70s!

Kids…
The Stroll, and The Twist.

no_profundia

no_profundia
Total Posts:  541
Joined  14-07-2016

07 June 2019 21:59

“Critical thinking is the analysis of facts to form a judgment.  The subject is complex, and several different definitions exist, which generally include the rational, skeptical, unbiased analysis, or evaluation of factual evidence.  Critical thinking is self-directed, self-disciplined, self-monitored, and self-corrective thinking.  It presupposes assent to rigorous standards of excellence and mindful command of their use. It entails effective communication and problem-solving abilities as well as a commitment to overcome native egocentrism and sociocentrism.”

I’m still waiting to see some evidence of this stuff here on these forums.

This reminds me of the story of Roger Williams who was the founder of Rhode Island. I am basing this story off the summary that was provided in a Great Courses course on early American history. I have never confirmed how accurate the story as presented in the course was and I watched it years ago so my memory might be altering it a bit but this is how I remember it:

Roger Williams began as a strict Puritan who believed that one must be internally pure in order to engage in the rites of Puritan Christianity (I am not sure if they administered the sacraments in Puritanism?). So, Roger Williams would only preach to people that he considered pure which at first only included members of a particular sect. Eventually, he decided that even some members of that sect were not pure enough and he refused to preach to them. Then he decided that only him and his wife were pure enough so he started giving his sermons to only him and his wife. Then he decided that his wife was not pure enough either so he only preached to himself. And finally, he realized that he was not pure enough either and so he went back to preaching to everyone because he realized that everyone was equally impure and unworthy.

Like I said, I am not sure how accurate this really is (and it is obviously very simplified) but I have always loved this story. The dialectical reversal in it is quite profound I think. Roger Williams followed the notion of purity to its logical conclusion and by following it to its logical conclusion he eventually reversed his position from extreme exclusion and intolerance to extreme inclusion and tolerance.

Perhaps it would be good to follow the notion of critical thinking to its logical conclusion in a similar way?

1 2 3 >  Last ›