proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

01 July 2019 15:37

EN - 01 July 2019 02:31 PM
bbearren - 30 June 2019 10:23 AM
EN - 29 June 2019 01:43 PM

A person paints a picture of a sunset.  Another person see it and sees an image of God’s glory. Another person sees the beauty of the laws of nature. Still another sees a favorite vacation spot.  All is interpretation, irrespective of what synapses were involved.  The brain creates its own narrative, and does not depend on any concept of self.  The brain interprets automatically depending on its own wiring.

Four different people; four different genomes; four different lifetimes of experiential existence; four different histories of visual pattern memories; four different patterns of recognition.

No interpretation needed.  The pattern recognition may well trigger a cascade of memories and musings for each of the four individuals, but those are secondary, and a result of, the initial pattern recognition.

Yes, I understand that this is your interpretation.

What a Hoot!

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

01 July 2019 15:56

bbearren - 01 July 2019 03:18 PM

A person paints a picture of a sunset.  Another person see it and sees an image of God’s glory. Another person sees the beauty of the laws of nature. Still another sees a favorite vacation spot.  All is interpretation, irrespective of what synapses were involved.  The brain creates its own narrative, and does not depend on any concept of self.  The brain interprets automatically depending on its own wiring.

Four different people; four different genomes; four different lifetimes of experiential existence; four different histories of visual pattern memories; four different patterns of recognition.

No interpretation needed.  The pattern recognition may well trigger a cascade of memories and musings for each of the four individuals, but those are secondary, and a result of, the initial pattern recognition.

I’m kinda siding with evolution.  We’re still animals, after all.

Yup, we’re still animals at our core cognitive functions, but you’re ignoring higher human cognitive function. Show an owl the Mona LIsa and it’s only capable of rudimentary pattern recognition. A human will contemplate what’s behind that enigmatic smile and utilize their higher cognitive functions to formulate their own personal interpretation.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

01 July 2019 16:31

proximacentauri - 01 July 2019 03:56 PM
bbearren - 01 July 2019 03:18 PM

I’m kinda siding with evolution.  We’re still animals, after all.

Yup, we’re still animals at our core cognitive functions, but you’re ignoring higher human cognitive function. Show an owl the Mona LIsa and it’s only capable of rudimentary pattern recognition. A human will contemplate what’s behind that enigmatic smile and utilize their higher cognitive functions to formulate their own personal interpretation.

The frame of reference is not cogitation.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  31-10-2015

01 July 2019 18:28

bbearren - 01 July 2019 03:03 PM
nonverbal - 01 July 2019 01:39 PM
bbearren - 30 June 2019 11:09 AM

I could be wrong, but it seems you have inverted your analogy.  Would the automobile be functional with the computers removed?

Sorry, bb. I just now noticed your post.

Yes, the automobile would be perfectly fine on its own. Remember the 20th century?

I only wish I knew what I’m arguing about.

You’re mixing your metaphors.  The analogy would be for a current model automobile (2019) having its computers removed.  Would that automobile still be functional?

Remove a wheel from a car and what do you have?

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

01 July 2019 22:24

nonverbal - 01 July 2019 06:28 PM

I only wish I knew what I’m arguing about.

Indeed.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21492
Joined  11-03-2007

02 July 2019 07:49

I think the issue may be whether the automatic processing of stimuli qualifies as interpretation, or whether it must be an intentional act. For me, it’s all interpretation. The brain is taking in information and assigning meaning to it.  Brain 1 senses a shadow and thinks it’s a wild animal.  Brain 2 senses a shadow and thinks it’s a ghost.  Both are interpretation - the brain processing stimuli and assigning meaning.  Doesn’t have to be intentional.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21492
Joined  11-03-2007

02 July 2019 08:07

Another example: an “interpreter” hears another language and automatically understands it.  A non- fluent person hears gibberish.  The interpreter has interpreted, even though it was an automatic function of the brain. The non-fluent person’s interpretation is limited to “that’s another language.” The brain does the interpretation, following the laws of nature that have set its wiring in place.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

02 July 2019 15:19

EN - 02 July 2019 08:07 AM

Another example: an “interpreter” hears another language and automatically understands it.  A non- fluent person hears gibberish.  The interpreter has interpreted, even though it was an automatic function of the brain. The non-fluent person’s interpretation is limited to “that’s another language.” The brain does the interpretation, following the laws of nature that have set its wiring in place.

Been there, done that, was rated “native speaker”.  Learning a language requires two-way interpretation.  Interpret the new language into one’s native language, understand the meaning, then interpret one’s native language into the new language to respond.  With practice, the processes get easier, but one is still hearing the new language, interpreting, formulating a response in one’s native language, interpreting into the new language, and responding in the new language.

There is quite an epiphany when one no longer hears the new language, hearing instead only the phonemes and morphemes and responding in kind.  The “new” language becomes another native language; bi-lingual.  That isn’t interpretation, it’s recognition.  Such a one can be an interpreter for a third party, but does not need to interpret for himself.

nivanyameha

nivanyameha
Total Posts:  1
Joined  14-08-2019

14 August 2019 19:36

Critical thinking means making reasoned judgments that are logical and well-thought out. It is a way of thinking in which you don’t simply accept all arguments and conclusions you are exposed to but rather have an attitude involving questioning such arguments and conclusions

‹ First  < 11 12 13