Looking for a little input

Timothy S.

Timothy S.
Total Posts:  2
Joined  10-06-2019

10 June 2019 09:17

Hello

There is something that bothers me. I have this idea that if the holocaust did not happen, I would not exist.

Would the events that took place in reality not be totally different had X or J or E not happened.. meaning that I would not exist?

This is a thought that troubles me a lot. I have tried to ignore it but I just want to get support for it.. is this how reality works?

If yes, how do you deal with it and feel okay about life? Like.. if my neighbour did not die in a car crash then my daughter would not exist. I might have a different daughter but this one that I love would not exist…. ??

I am confused.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  31-10-2015

10 June 2019 10:38

I’ve had similar kinds of thoughts involving the self. But I also realize that what we refer to as a self, on a molecular level, is nothing at all like what a self seems to be. I sometimes wonder about new selves that will be produced in the future—is it possible that “I” will someday once again be born, live and die? I’m enjoying my life as much as the next guy, but I hate to think “I’ll” come back, even once. Once I’m out of here, I don’t want to come back.

By the way, I fully realize I’m insane.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

10 June 2019 11:16

@ Timothy S
Your birth is a random event. The holocaust happened for a number of reasons none of which had anything to do with your birth. You bear no guilt.

@ nonverbal
I concur.

@ proximacentauri, et al
Try not to take yourself so seriously. Relax and enjoy your moment in the sun. Try not to hurt anyone (including yourself), and help someone when you can.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  15-02-2007

10 June 2019 16:14

proximacentauri - 10 June 2019 11:16 AM

@ proximacentauri, et al
Try not to take yourself so seriously. Relax and enjoy your moment in the sun. Try not to hurt anyone (including yourself), and help someone when you can.

Don’t be a dick. —W. Wheaton.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

10 June 2019 18:38

Jefe - 10 June 2019 04:14 PM

@ proximacentauri, et al

Don’t be a dick. —W. Wheaton.

The spousal unit tells me the same.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9560
Joined  20-10-2006

11 June 2019 07:45

@ Timothy S
Your birth is a random event. The holocaust happened for a number of reasons none of which had anything to do with your birth. You bear no guilt.

Yeah, that.  There is no grand plan for this existence, and the best odds of having control of your life is 50/50.

Don’t worry yourself over things which are beyond your control.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

15 June 2019 19:06

Timothy S. - 10 June 2019 09:17 AM

Hello

There is something that bothers me. I have this idea that if the holocaust did not happen, I would not exist.

Would the events that took place in reality not be totally different had X or J or E not happened.. meaning that I would not exist?

This is a thought that troubles me a lot. I have tried to ignore it but I just want to get support for it.. is this how reality works?

If yes, how do you deal with it and feel okay about life? Like.. if my neighbour did not die in a car crash then my daughter would not exist. I might have a different daughter but this one that I love would not exist…. ??

I am confused.

You don’t even know. Everyday you wake up, there’s twenty six identical yous in different but similar dimensions doing you.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8584
Joined  20-02-2006

16 June 2019 12:01

Jb8989 - 15 June 2019 07:06 PM
Timothy S. - 10 June 2019 09:17 AM

Hello

I am confused.

You don’t even know. Everyday you wake up, there’s twenty six identical yous in different but similar dimensions doing you.

Let’s not forget our doppelgangers in similar dimensions who are like us, but instead of making smoke rings - they make bubble rings.

Image Attachments

Bubblering-sole.JPG