< 1 2 3

Why do humans in general believe blatant lies?

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5783
Joined  27-09-2006

26 January 2020 00:02

pluka - 24 January 2020 11:35 AM

The important question is how big of a problem it is and how urgently we need to act.

Well, you point out (perhaps unintentionally) something that is not obvious if only a lay-person’s understanding is considered. I don’t know what you’re prepared to study in order to understand what I’m talking about or even if you care about more than whether somebody is talking down to the lay-person. If one can only think about a problem in linear terms, then the velocity is constant and the acceleration is zero. If you don’t understand that the mass of the ocean circulation is very large and difficult to change, and that it has evolved to its present condition over the course of decades, then you don’t. That’s just one example. To put it in homely terms, a freight train at top speed doesn’t stop on a dime. That’s one way in which humans in general don’t recognize they’re being fed blatant lies.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16155
Joined  17-12-2006

26 January 2020 09:19

pluka - 24 January 2020 06:47 AM

You have to distinguish between actually blatant lies and statements which are commonly called blatant lies as a dishonest way to argue against them or an insult to those who would make or believe them.

At this point I would argue that global warming being a hoax is the latter. There is now so much confusion around the topic that it is difficult for a layman to navigate, so I don’t think it can be called blatant by any reasonable definition.

Clearly you have not followed the science, perhaps because you don’t have the background to do so. The only confusion around the topic is that caused by denialist propaganda.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9362
Joined  20-02-2006

26 January 2020 12:36

burt - 26 January 2020 09:19 AM

You have to distinguish between actually blatant lies and statements which are commonly called blatant lies as a dishonest way to argue against them or an insult to those who would make or believe them.

At this point I would argue that global warming being a hoax is the latter. There is now so much confusion around the topic that it is difficult for a layman to navigate, so I don’t think it can be called blatant by any reasonable definition.

Clearly you have not followed the science, perhaps because you don’t have the background to do so. The only confusion around the topic is that caused by denialist propaganda.

[ Edited: 26 January 2020 12:40 by unsmoked]
Image Attachments

129_2981-a.JPG

pluka

pluka
Total Posts:  78
Joined  15-01-2020

06 February 2020 05:15

burt - 26 January 2020 09:19 AM

Well, again, no, it clearly is not only caused by denialist propaganda, it is also caused by hyperbolic propaganda, and when the expiration date on hyperbolic propaganda expires it turns into perhaps the best ammunition for denialists, and unfortunately there has been plenty of hyperbolic propaganda and from high profile people which makes it even more damaging.

Not sure how this isn’t common sense but if someone is caught in a lie that makes them less believable to most people, especially regarding the same topic.

[ Edited: 06 February 2020 05:48 by pluka]

pluka

pluka
Joined  15-01-2020

06 February 2020 05:26

Traces Elk - 26 January 2020 12:02 AM
pluka - 24 January 2020 11:35 AM

The important question is how big of a problem it is and how urgently we need to act.

Well, you point out (perhaps unintentionally) something that is not obvious if only a lay-person’s understanding is considered. I don’t know what you’re prepared to study in order to understand what I’m talking about or even if you care about more than whether somebody is talking down to the lay-person. If one can only think about a problem in linear terms, then the velocity is constant and the acceleration is zero. If you don’t understand that the mass of the ocean circulation is very large and difficult to change, and that it has evolved to its present condition over the course of decades, then you don’t. That’s just one example. To put it in homely terms, a freight train at top speed doesn’t stop on a dime. That’s one way in which humans in general don’t recognize they’re being fed blatant lies.

I’m not a denialist, nor denying that denialist propaganda is a problem (I shouldn’t need to say this to avoid being attacked on this straw man). I was attacking hypocrites for denouncing denialist propaganda while themselves spreading harmful hyperbolic propaganda and arguing against accusing any layman in doubt about climate change of believing blatant lies, which I think is not only a false accusation but harmful as well.

[ Edited: 06 February 2020 05:37 by pluka]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

06 February 2020 12:45

pluka,

Do you know anyone who believes blatant lies?

blatant - adjective

(of bad behavior) done openly and unashamedly.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/president-donald-trump-s-10-biggest-falsehoods-2018-n949121

pluka

pluka
Joined  15-01-2020

06 February 2020 23:50

unsmoked - 06 February 2020 12:45 PM

pluka,

blatant - adjective

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/president-donald-trump-s-10-biggest-falsehoods-2018-n949121

Children and some religious people, I guess. Why?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

07 February 2020 11:15

pluka - 06 February 2020 11:50 PM
unsmoked - 06 February 2020 12:45 PM

pluka,

blatant - adjective

Children and some religious people, I guess. Why?

So why do they believe blatant lies?

< 1 2 3