My favorite seizure

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  148
Joined  14-09-2017

13 June 2019 12:20

bbearren - 13 June 2019 12:07 PM
DEGENERATEON - 13 June 2019 11:35 AM

It appears that you (while not being certain) have reasoned that the best explanation for your experiences were a revelation from god.

Is that correct?

You said that you listened to the podcast.  Perhaps you were distracted or otherwise engaged at the time.  Nhoj and I went over that aspect in some detail.

I’ll have to listen again.  But to make it easy on me, is that a yes or no?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7618
Joined  22-02-2014

13 June 2019 13:28

Jan_CAN - 12 June 2019 06:08 AM

nv, I’m guessing you would probably have mentioned it, but as a 17-year-old in the early 70’s, I’m wondering if you’d ever taken drugs (e.g. LSD) at any time prior to these incidences.

Jan,

I’m wondering about your question here. The reason I ask is because I think it’s a mistake that society makes to lump things into the large “drugs” category. So - for example - we make a HUGE error if we lump LSD in with alcohol.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

13 June 2019 13:50

nonverbal - 11 June 2019 04:31 PM

DEGENERATEON has recently expressed interest in what it might be like to experience a religious vision. I’ll go first.

It took place shortly after my 17th birthday, in my upstairs bedroom in the depths of Wisconsin. At that point in my life having been a lapsed Catholic, I’d recently been born again into the Christianity of new people I was meeting as a result of my new faith which I’d adopted one night with a friend. He’s still a Christian, by the way, after all these years. I’m not.

As far as I can tell, I experienced two seizures within a couple of weeks of each other, but I no longer remember any of the details of the second one I had. The first one is still sort of in my head. I got tempted by Satan.

The details of the vision have gotten a bit foggy, but I remember that “it” happened around my normal bedtime. It felt completely different from a dream. That amazing quality and feeling of realness is perhaps typical with temporal-lobe epilepsy (TLE) seizures, and contributes to confidence in the supernatural validity of TLE visions. Not all TLE seizures are visions, though—far from it.

I suppose some of the bible verses I’d been reading pushed through into the vision. It featured both audio and visual, and it resembled a movie screen floating above my head off to one side. The guy on the screen offered me some reward if I were to do something or stop doing something. It might have been that I was being asked to break from my new faith, but I’m not sure. The reward that was presented was a delight to my senses, I remember. I guess that was supposed to tempt me, like a shot of heroin or something. I turned down the offer, came to for maybe a minute, and went to sleep.

Note: I’ve never been diagnosed with epilepsy, and in case the DMV is looking, I have no seizure history other than the two episodes that I have self-diagnosed. I’ve spoken to several neurologists about the ins and outs of seizure control and etiology as they relate to my employment over the years.

[edited to correct typos]

Has anyone ever suggested you might have POTS ? It can look a lot like epilepsy.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

13 June 2019 14:19

DEGENERATEON - 13 June 2019 12:20 PM

It appears that you (while not being certain) have reasoned that the best explanation for your experiences were a revelation from god.

Is that correct?

You said that you listened to the podcast.  Perhaps you were distracted or otherwise engaged at the time.  Nhoj and I went over that aspect in some detail.

Start at about the 29 minute mark.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3294
Joined  21-10-2016

13 June 2019 14:23

icehorse - 13 June 2019 01:28 PM
Jan_CAN - 12 June 2019 06:08 AM

nv, I’m guessing you would probably have mentioned it, but as a 17-year-old in the early 70’s, I’m wondering if you’d ever taken drugs (e.g. LSD) at any time prior to these incidences.

Jan,

I’m wondering about your question here. The reason I ask is because I think it’s a mistake that society makes to lump things into the large “drugs” category. So - for example - we make a HUGE error if we lump LSD in with alcohol.

I think nonverbal understood what I was asking – whether or not he had ever taken hallucinogenic drugs (his response indicated he hadn’t).  Many drugs can have especially profound effects on the immature (adolescent) brain and I was wondering if his ‘visions’ could have been related to some kind of flashback.  Although I made no mention of alcohol, alcohol is a drug, has effects on the brain, including for some physical addiction and withdrawal (DTs, which can include vivid hallucinations).

[ Edited: 13 June 2019 15:35 by Jan_CAN]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1276
Joined  01-11-2014

13 June 2019 16:59

Perhaps, instead of TLE, nv had a lucid dream instead?

I had one once. I dreamt that I was in bed laying on my back, seemingly awake, but that I now had the ability to look through my eyelids which were closed. This seemed a little unusual, but somehow not surprising. I could see everything around me in great detail; the morning light shining through the windows; the shape of my body under the covers; the familiar objects around me; sounds drifting in from outside. It felt exactly as if I was awake, except that I couldn’t move.

I saw a dark shape circling around inside the frosted-glass lamp cover on the ceiling above me. Eventually, it’s wanderings brought it to the rim. It crawled over the rim and partly onto the underside of the glass cover. It was a huge black spider.

The spider jumped or fell over the edge and onto my supine body.

I jolted awake and sat straight up in bed, alarmed.

The room looked exactly as it had in the dream, same lighting and time of day, but there was no spider and I hadn’t been looking through my eyelids — I had been lucid dreaming.

Perhaps nv fell asleep but dreamed that he was still awake while lucid dreaming. This would make sense, since he doesn’t seem to have epilepsy and wasn’t under the influence of drugs.

[ Edited: 13 June 2019 17:31 by Cheshire Cat]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  31-10-2015

14 June 2019 06:20

I’ve never been checked out neurologically, and enough time has passed that diagnosis can only be a guess. For quite a while, I didn’t see it as something diagnosable at all. It was a vision. Interestingly enough, Mario cast doubt on my story. I guess the tables are turned!

Also, I’ve briefly described my psychedelic experiences somewhere in the depths of this place. No need to return to that bit of hilarity.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  148
Joined  14-09-2017

14 June 2019 07:32

bbearren - 13 June 2019 02:19 PM
DEGENERATEON - 13 June 2019 12:20 PM

Is that correct?

Start at about the 29 minute mark.

I guess it’s just hard to pin down what you believe and why.  You had a personal revelation.  The revelation is not supernatural, it comes from nature (defining nature as everything that exists whether we can see it or not).  The universe is constructed of quantum fields, what we are aware of is just a small part of it.  You feel that your brain is functioning properly (evidenced by your security clearance and psychological testing). 
Let’s go ahead and describe your experience.  You don’t care about converting people or your ego.  There’s no reason not to explain it.  Unless the revelation told you not to talk about it.  Did that happen?

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

14 June 2019 09:06

DEGENERATEON - 14 June 2019 07:32 AM

I guess it’s just hard to pin down what you believe and why.  You had a personal revelation.

Plural.  It’s discussed somewhat in my thread, Post #60: They have been spread out over a period of months, sometimes years, actually; never had two back-to-back.

The revelation is not supernatural, it comes from nature (defining nature as everything that exists whether we can see it or not).  The universe is constructed of quantum fields, what we are aware of is just a small part of it.  You feel that your brain is functioning properly (evidenced by your security clearance and psychological testing).

The confluence of genetics and experience is also relevant, but for the most part, you appear to understand the above fairly accurately.

Let’s go ahead and describe your experience.  You don’t care about converting people or your ego.  There’s no reason not to explain it.

There is not any useful reason to explain on these forums.

Unless the revelation told you not to talk about it.  Did that happen?

No.  I have discussed some of them with some people with whom I have a personal relationship. But I haven’t discussed all of them with anyone, nor is there any need.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

14 June 2019 09:19

Public Service Announcement: It might be P.O.T.S.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  31-10-2015

14 June 2019 09:25

icehorse - 14 June 2019 09:19 AM

Public Service Announcement: It might be P.O.T.S.

Thanks, icy, but you’re about a half-century late!

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

14 June 2019 20:51

nonverbal - 11 June 2019 04:31 PM

. That amazing quality and feeling of realness is perhaps typical with temporal-lobe epilepsy (TLE) seizures, and contributes to confidence in the supernatural validity of TLE visions.

The convinced need some convincing.

< 1 2