Riots in Memphis

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  199
Joined  14-09-2017

14 June 2019 10:09

A young black man was shot by police.  Riots the same night injuring several dozen police as they were subject to rock/brick throwing and spat upon.  Why were there riots?  Was it a call against the unjust and entrenched system that doesn’t value black lives?  Or perhaps there’s a justified reason?  From what I’ve read, it appears to be justified.  But there were people there that saw it, some of the same people rioting and destroying property and attacking officers.  They must have a reason for this course of action.  We need to get to the bottom of this latest publicized police shooting.

Vociferous Fuckweasel

Vociferous Fuckweasel
Total Posts:  4
Joined  21-06-2019

21 June 2019 06:30

This is from The Independent

“Chaos erupted in a neighbourhood in Memphis, Tennessee after US Marshals shot and killed a young black man.

Brandon Webber, 20, was getting into his car when US marshals approached and attempted to take him into custody. Webber was wanted on several felony warrants.
When the marshals tried to make their arrest, “he reportedly rammed his vehicle into the officers’ vehicles multiple times before exiting with a weapon,” says the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.”

If this is true, the shooting seems justified to me.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

25 June 2019 08:43

Yeah he was wanted on multiple felony warrants, he stole a guy’s car about a week earlier and shot him 5 times.  Another riot for another bs narrative.  Say his name!

Anyway I’m going to keep my eyes out for the next one.  There’s a definite bias in the media, but it backfires at a very high rate for anyone paying attention.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5142
Joined  28-05-2009

25 June 2019 21:47

It’s a quagmire. There seem to be fairly regular incidents of unjustified police killings. Often versus minors. Often caught on video. The outrage over this spills over creating polarized factions that tend to view any police shooting as unjustified. Laws of physics mandate an opposite and equally irrational faction that defends all police activity no matter what. The ability to evaluate a single incident with objective clarity is lost in the noise because most people have made up their mind already without even a cursory survey of the facts.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

26 June 2019 07:13

Brick Bungalow - 25 June 2019 09:47 PM

It’s a quagmire. There seem to be fairly regular incidents of unjustified police killings. Often versus minors. Often caught on video. The outrage over this spills over creating polarized factions that tend to view any police shooting as unjustified. Laws of physics mandate an opposite and equally irrational faction that defends all police activity no matter what. The ability to evaluate a single incident with objective clarity is lost in the noise because most people have made up their mind already without even a cursory survey of the facts.

It’s true that there are biases on both sides.  But the laws of physics don’t seem to apply here.  I try to view these incidents objectively - I want to find out what happened.  I don’t see evidence of this equally irrational faction - where are the cops rioting and looting?  Or their supporters? 
If you listen to Sam’s comments on BLM, I think that is a nearly perfect representation of my view.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21592
Joined  11-03-2007

26 June 2019 07:22

DEGENERATEON - 26 June 2019 07:13 AM

[
It’s true that there are biases on both sides.  But the laws of physics don’t seem to apply here.  I try to view these incidents objectively - I want to find out what happened.  I don’t see evidence of this equally irrational faction - where are the cops rioting and looting?  Or their supporters? 

The cops and their supporters have the power.  The black community does not. They are frustrated, and don’t think the cops are going to change.  I am not excusing any of their behavior, just trying to explain the reason why they riot and cops don’t.  We rioted against the English when they shot us for no or little reason.  That’s why we are a nation.  It’s the American way.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17622
Joined  15-02-2008

26 June 2019 07:38

It’s interesting that if the rioters are black that people try and justify it simply because they are black, which actually helps keep/drive the divisions that they used for justification.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

26 June 2019 07:38

EN - 26 June 2019 07:22 AM

[

The cops and their supporters have the power.  The black community does not. They are frustrated, and don’t think the cops are going to change.  I am not excusing any of their behavior, just trying to explain the reason why they riot and cops don’t.  We rioted against the English when they shot us for no or little reason.  That’s why we are a nation.  It’s the American way.

I think you’re discounting the ability of the black community.  They don’t have the power to not commit crimes?  Why are they frustrated when a murderous criminal is shot and killed while armed and dangerous?
I was just looking at the Washington Post statistics on police killings.  994 people shot dead by police in 2015.  952 were male.  What is it with these cops shooting men?  Over 95% of the people they kill are male, but men are only 50% of the population?  What explains this anomaly?

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

26 June 2019 08:45

Here’s an article I found that makes sense to me and might suggest why men are killed by police at an alarming rate:

http://nautil.us/blog/nurture-alone-cant-explain-male-aggression

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

26 June 2019 09:22

DEGENERATEON - 26 June 2019 07:38 AM

[

I think you’re discounting the ability of the black community.  They don’t have the power to not commit crimes?  Why are they frustrated when a murderous criminal is shot and killed while armed and dangerous?
I was just looking at the Washington Post statistics on police killings.  994 people shot dead by police in 2015.  952 were male.  What is it with these cops shooting men?  Over 95% of the people they kill are male, but men are only 50% of the population?  What explains this anomaly?

As I said, I’m not trying to excuse their behavior.  But standing on the outside and pretending not to understand why blacks feel frustrated is a bit disingenuous. Look at our history.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

26 June 2019 10:38

EN - 26 June 2019 09:22 AM
DEGENERATEON - 26 June 2019 07:38 AM

[

As I said, I’m not trying to excuse their behavior.  But standing on the outside and pretending not to understand why blacks feel frustrated is a bit disingenuous. Look at our history.

I argue that our history is irrelevant.  Even if I grant that the injustices of our past are 100% responsible for the poverty and high crime rates in the black community, it has no relevance to a police officer encountering a threat.  That officer had nothing to do with the injustices, he/she is simply trying to do their job.  White people are shot by the police also, more than any minority.  Some of the shootings are unjustified.  There are some racist cops of every ethnicity.  But there is no evidence that the police kill blacks with no regard for their life. 

So lets think about why cops shoot men 95% of the time.  Is it because of sexism?  Is that the conclusion we jump to?  How could it not be sexism?  Unless there’s some other difference that may explain it. 

Am I a sexist for thinking about this?  Is thinking that men are biologically different from women sexist?

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

28 June 2019 11:11

Learned of another shooting the other night during the debate.  I didn’t know about the controversy around Pete Buttigieg and the police shooting in South Bend.  I guess it’s so visible because he’s running for president and it was a white cop shooting a black man.  But I’m not sure what all the uproar is - they want him to fire the police chief and they accuse him of failing to control racism.  Why should he have to issue a verdict before an investigation is complete?  The officer didn’t have his body cam on, which doesn’t help.  I really don’t know a lot about this case, but wanted to bring it up because it’s another example of people rushing to conclusions and wanting answers NOW.  I mean is the cop a racist simply because he is white and the victim is black?  Or because the victim’s family stated that “he wouldn’t attack an officer”? 

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

28 June 2019 13:27

Men are more violent.  No a cop is not automatically racist because he shoots a black man.  Circumstances matter.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

28 June 2019 13:47

EN - 28 June 2019 01:27 PM

Men are more violent.  No a cop is not automatically racist because he shoots a black man.  Circumstances matter.

Well I’m glad we agree on that.  I’m not sure this would be an issue if the victim was white. 

I’m interested in the circumstances of this case.  The officer was called to a parking lot because there was a report of someone with a flashlight breaking into vehicles.  He sees a guys legs sticking out of a car and asks if it’s his car.  The suspect gets out and has a knife.  Apparently the knife was stolen from one of the other cars, also a purse he has stuffed in his clothing.  Not having the body cam going hurts the officer’s account, but there should be plenty of evidence to see if his account is plausible.  There was the person who called the police.  There is a question as to what the victim was doing around that area at 3:30 am.  If someone had a knife in their car and it was broken into, they could corroborate that.  Maybe the person who called or someone else witnessed some of the activity.  If the officer’s account doesn’t line up with the evidence, then that should be evident.