#160- The Revenge of History A Conversation with Michael Weiss and Yascha Mounk

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6312
Joined  22-02-2005

17 June 2019 10:04

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Michael Weiss and Yascha Mounk about the state of global politics. They discuss the rise of right-wing populism in Europe, the prospect that democracy could fail in the US, Trump’s political instincts, the political liability of “wokeness,” the Left’s failure to re-think its support of Chavez, the dangers of political polarization, the attractions of extreme partisanship, cancel culture, and other topics.

#160- The Revenge of History A Conversation with Michael Weiss and Yascha Mounk

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

TheBardUnshaven

TheBardUnshaven
Total Posts:  4
Joined  03-07-2018

18 June 2019 01:33

Whenever Sam has a guest who makes sense about European politics (eg.: Mounk, Applebaum, Snyder, Kasparov), I always muse about what Douglas Murray would have to say about their views. His admiration and criticism are typically not aligned with those of these guests. He bashes the democrats of Europe and is rather apologetic and appeasing with the populists, as long as they are anti-immigration (which they usually are, that is the essence of their popularity in their countries).

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7486
Joined  22-02-2014

19 June 2019 08:50

From the OP:

They discuss the rise of right-wing populism in Europe

If they used this phrase in the conversation, I’d say they started from an inaccurate place. While I’d agree that prejudice exists in Europe (Doh!), I’d also say that a lot of folks in Europe are simply fighting to maintain their values against an immigrant culture whose values they find lacking.