1 2 3 >  Last ›

In my Estimation the new Ideas and Strategies in this Writing will Greatly Improve the World if Understood and Applied

kevergar

kevergar
Total Posts:  32
Joined  21-06-2019

21 June 2019 19:11

Emotional Force Strategies

I’d like to begin with an analogy. Our minds can be similar to a surfer riding on a wave. The surfer must respond to the physical force of the wave she/he is riding on. Keeping that in mind, there is a similarity between the surfer and the wave and the flow in our mind of feelings. Every feeling in the mind has a basic force, flow, and even momentum behind it, which affects us in feeling and rationality. Our emotions have a force to them like a force in the physical world. It is unintuitive for us to strategically respond to the force of our feelings consciously and directly as a practice, but it would be unwise for the surfer to not adapt and respond to the physical wave he/she is riding on. It is possible to strategically respond to the force and momentum of our feelings in a positive and powerful way. And responding to and utilizing the momentum of our feelings with specific intentions can be a very effective and direct way to train the mind to lessen negative thoughts and to create more positive thoughts.

Now that you are thinking about the momentum and force of your feelings, what specifically is there to do about it? First, it makes sense for a sentient being to focus on improving rationality and improving mood, however finding a way to improve both of these directly can be ambiguous, but you may find a solution to this problem in this paper. It is important to realize that you can respond to the flow and force of your feelings directly in an analogous way that you can handle a physical force on the body outside of the mind. And if you use specific strategies of using the force in the mind combined with just the intention to feel better, whatever that may be for each individual from moment to moment, in immediate time, it can often knock out two birds with one stone, which are better mood(possible with the continuous intention to feel better) and better rationality(acquired by responding to the changing patterns of one’s own feelings using strategies of force in the mind to create more positive headspace). The reasoning is that it requires accuracy and responsiveness to be able to regulate one’s own mood to feel better by using force in your mind. .It is much more direct and less ambiguous to train the mind in this way of using the mood as the persons guide to direct the force and momentum of emotions than in other ways. If you consider another important analogy of a flowing stream, our minds have a continuous flow of feelings with a force to them. It is crucial to realize that this practice is a fluid process because feelings constantly change, and it is important to be responsive to feelings as they change to feel better, more balanced, and to train the mind. This practice stands out because it is a more direct way to handle feelings. There are many known ways to handle feelings in more ambiguous ways such as repeating a mantra, which uses words to handle the feeling, but it is more immediate and direct to handle force with force in the mind. Handling feelings directly by responding to the basic force of the emotion in a similar way that you would handle basic force on your body in the physical world is much more direct and less ambiguous for dealing with the emotion and is very effective.

Now, there are various strategies in this practice of handling negative emotions by guiding and using force in the mind that are not immediately evident, and those ways will be expanded upon next. Considering the stream analogy again, a stream is a power source that flows downhill and usually creates its path randomly by running into the surrounding obstacles. Keeping this in mind, it can be very effective to handle emotions by actually guiding the flow and continuous force of one’s own emotions using the intention to feel better/balance ones feelings in immediate time, in that sense you are using your mind to guide the force and momentum of the stream of emotions in a more positive way, thus it is like directing the constant stream of feelings and thoughts in a way that is not random, and increases more positive feelings in the mind while also training the mind. The practice trains the mind because it requires focus to keep the intention to direct the flow and momentum of your emotions in a way that causes you to feel better. You can also think of this practice in other ways instead of a stream. It is possible to direct the force and momentum of an emotion as if the force were a kind of wrecking ball or a bulldozer to create more positive headspace. This is the first way to use the force of your own thoughts to your own advantage.
The second strategy is slightly different from the first strategy that I mentioned. Instead of directing the flow of emotions that you are experiencing, it can also be effective to set your mind to just go with the flow of your emotions with the same goal to feel better while you are doing the practice. An analogy in the physical world would be something like sitting on an inflatable raft and nicely going through a stream. This method can be useful if the first strategy requires too much energy and becomes uncomfortable. It is important to note that setting your mind to going with the flow of your feelings can also be quite an effective training method for the mind. It still requires focus and responsiveness to go with the flow of your emotions and remember the goal is to feel better while you are doing the practice.

The third strategy is useful if you feel like putting up more of a direct resistance to your negative feelings. It does require some practice. Imagine in the physical world if someone happened to throw a baseball sized rock right at you. If there was no way to avoid the rock or you are not worried about the rocks velocity and size, you can try and stop it directly. In a similar way you can create a force in the mind to stop and contend with negative feelings. Essentially the third practice is just pushing away a negative feeling with the mind. The reason why this method is more direct to handle negative feelings is because a negative feeling is a kind of force. If you simply try to conjure words to handle the negative feeling it is not as direct as conjuring an actual force against the force of the negative feeling to block it. “sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me”. It is not the word itself that is hurting you it is the feeling that comes along with it. This is another example of why we should think of negative feelings as a force and deal with them in that way on that level..  .

The next strategy is especially helpful for those of us who are dealing with Depression. If you do not feel well enough to put up resistance against your negative feelings directly, then this next practice is for you. What if in your mind you chose to not put up any resistance at all for a time against your negative feelings? For people who have to constantly fight against their negative feelings to do simple things like taking a shower, this practice could help. Few of us realize we can let go in this way of not resisting in any way, and the effects of doing this practice might surprise you. If you begin to practice not resisting and it feels better, then that can be quite powerful. If you begin to feel better consistently while doing this practice you will find a reason to do the practice. Remember it also requires focus to actually set your mind to do the practice of letting go of resistance for a time. So, the theory is that it is possible to also grow the mind at the same time that you are getting your rest from negative feelings and resulting in untangling the mind from depression at the same time. 

The final strategy is more advanced and is relevant if you are feeling mostly fine, yet still wish to train the mind in a productive way for the purpose of making yourself feel even better, and also gain intelligence. The goal is to create a positive feeling in the mind and sustain that feeling over a period of time. If you become unsatisfied with the feeling and still wish to do the practice, then you can create another positive feeling in the mind. Simply create a new satisfying feeling and create new feelings as necessary to sustain positivity. It is important to realize that putting a good but not excessive effort into doing the practice will yield the best results to train your brain to exercise the brain.

The different strategies are meant to be switched depending on the users changing feelings. Learning the different strategies will give the user more tools to handle his/her emotions. The practice as a whole is meant to train the mind to learn how to feel better more regularly. Pattern recognition is a very large component of this practice so do not underestimate its ability to train the mind to become more intelligent. This practice is a powerful combination of gaining better rationality and better mood and the both combined are a force to be reckoned with. Also, the practice is designed to reduce a person’s dependency on the physical world. The reasoning is that if you are able to regulate your own internal emotions better and gain intelligence in the mind you can create more positive feelings inside the mind without the need of the external world. For example, if you can make yourself feel well more regularly in the mind you may not feel the need to drink a cup of coffee in time. Finally, you may be wondering what the difference is between the mind’s feelings and the physical bodies feelings. As mentioned, both of these feelings have a force to them. However, the main difference is that the mind is much more malleable than the body. It is possible to grow the mind using the strategies above to much greater and more reliable heights than the body which has its rigid limits. And a powerful mind can take greater control of the physical body.

[ Edited: 21 June 2019 19:47 by kevergar]

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15839
Joined  17-12-2006

21 June 2019 20:47

Once upon a time a young fellow believed that he had discovered the secrets of a happy life and resolved to communicate these to one and all. He arranged to have broadsheets with his expositions of the secrets distributed to all and sundry. He was not pleased, however, to find that nobody seemed to follow his advice. He circulated more written instructions exhorting people to follow his advice, with no success. For you see, he had neglected to discover one vital fact—that none of the population where he lived knew how to read.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

21 June 2019 20:50

It will take some time to make my writing more concise and perhaps simplified. I’m not exactly sure what you mean though, but I appreciate your reply.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15839
Joined  17-12-2006

21 June 2019 22:16

kevergar - 21 June 2019 08:50 PM

It will take some time to make my writing more concise and perhaps simplified. I’m not exactly sure what you mean though, but I appreciate your reply.

It doesn’t do much good to tell somebody that they can press 250 lbs unless one can also provide them the initial training that enables them to do this.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

21 June 2019 22:47

Okay, from my understanding the strategies vary in difficulty quite nicely. Really the first two paragraphs are trying to get across the knowledge needed to actually try the strategies. Essentially it is beginning to see that emotions are caused by a force. Like internal emotions. Without a doubt we feel different kinds of internal emotions all the time. Those feelings that we have internally are caused by a force. Just as if you were having a feeling on the physical body like pressure on the skin. There is a force behind why you are feeling pressure on the skin. For example, someone is pressing their finger on your skin with the use of force. You will feel a pressure. We consider force very intuitively with the body, and respond to feelings naturally like moving your hand if something is hot. But feelings also occur in the mind and I am saying there are strategies to respond in the mind to those feelings by using the force in our mind to our advantage. I hope that helps clarify how feelings on the physical body and in the mind relate to each other.

I am very willing to try and work this out with anyone.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1310
Joined  01-11-2014

21 June 2019 23:20

Kevergar, you seem to be advocating “pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps” as a method for personal fulfillment.

Trying to use force of will or rational intent to change oneself is simply not possible. Wishing or willing yourself to change is the ego trying to transcend itself, which is pure futility. The ego cannot transcend itself. Transcendence is the process of realizing that you are not your thoughts, opinions, judgements or imaginary willpower. Transcendence comes from a totally different place. It comes from recognizing and inhabiting the space between the thoughts. It exists in the silence of conscious itself.

I’ve been meditating regularly for twelve years, and I’m only now getting glimpses of liberation. This is a huge improvement compared to how I’ve lived the majority of my life. Even so, I’d say that the time when I am truly conscious is pathetically small. But I continue to persist. I have no other choice.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

21 June 2019 23:26

Sorry, ‘pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps’ is not at all what this practice is about. I really don’t know what else to tell you, but you’re way off track concerning this practice.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

22 June 2019 08:55

I think that one of the issue with your strategy is overcompensation - in the sense that let’s say that we take all the varying types of emotions humans generally exhibit and put them in two camps: (1) positive, and (2) negative. Now, setting an intention to “force” positive emotions when there are things going on in your mind and around you that associate more with, say, sadness of melancholy, then overtime we miss the chance to embrace the sadness, reflect on what caused it, and change the root of the problem. Nevertheless I do see merit in positivism. I just think that every once in a while you should pause for reflection or else risk avoidance. Which has it’s own drawbacks.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

22 June 2019 09:50

Sadness is not necessarily a ‘negative’ emotion. Like I said it is up to the individual person to delineate between what is a positive or negative emotion. It is more of an issue with the users interpretation of his/her own emotions than with the practice.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

22 June 2019 10:54

kevergar - 22 June 2019 09:50 AM

Sadness is not necessarily a ‘negative’ emotion. Like I said it is up to the individual person to delineate between what is a positive or negative emotion. It is more of an issue with the users interpretation of his/her own emotions than with the practice.

If you’re forcing yourself to feel a certain way, you’re not leaving much mental energy to interpret what’s really going on, is what I’m getting at. The same goes if you’re forcing yourself to repeat mantras. It seems to me that instead of creating a flow, it would disrupt it.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1310
Joined  01-11-2014

22 June 2019 11:10

kevergar - 21 June 2019 11:26 PM

Sorry, ‘pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps’ is not at all what this practice is about. I really don’t know what else to tell you, but you’re way off track concerning this practice.

I don’t see any “practice” here at all. All I see are instructions for how you “ought” to direct you mind and emotions, which is a completely abstract strategy.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

22 June 2019 11:15

Jb8989 So I partially agree with you. The practice is internal in the mind, and it is a training method. It’s not going to teach you how to do the dishes or something else external that is occurring, but I strongly believe it can train the mind in a way that makes learning in the physical world less challenging. 

Also, different kinds of forces/emotions in the mind vary in how complicated they are. In my last paragraph I said don’t underestimate how effective responding to your emotions in this practice can be for pattern recognition training.

I like what your getting at with ‘forcing yourself to feel a certain way’, but on the contrary if you are feeling actual negative emotions those feelings can be extremely debilitating. Learning how to make yourself feel reasonably better is a very valuable skill.

Lastly, I really think it is important to realize that the practice knocks out two birds with one stone in my second paragraph because that is what makes the practice very powerful. 

I’m not quite sure what kind of flow you’re referring to though.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

22 June 2019 11:17

Chesire Cat, It’s not so much how someone ‘ought’ to act. It is really up to the individual person to cultivate the feelings that they want in their life in this practice.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

22 June 2019 11:35

Chesire Cat, I agree with you that the practice is abstract because it is occurring in the mind. But if you mean like the practice is not concrete enough to actually train the mind consistently I think that’s definitely false.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  31-10-2015

22 June 2019 13:53

kevergar - 22 June 2019 11:15 AM

Jb8989 So I partially agree with you. The practice is internal in the mind, and it is a training method. It’s not going to teach you how to do the dishes or something else external that is occurring, but I strongly believe it can train the mind in a way that makes learning in the physical world less challenging. 

Also, different kinds of forces/emotions in the mind vary in how complicated they are. In my last paragraph I said don’t underestimate how effective responding to your emotions in this practice can be for pattern recognition training.

I like what your getting at with ‘forcing yourself to feel a certain way’, but on the contrary if you are feeling actual negative emotions those feelings can be extremely debilitating. Learning how to make yourself feel reasonably better is a very valuable skill.

Lastly, I really think it is important to realize that the practice knocks out two birds with one stone in my second paragraph because that is what makes the practice very powerful. 

I’m not quite sure what kind of flow you’re referring to though.

Kev, I apologize for only skimming your paragraphs, and I’ll read them when I get a chance.

If you’re presenting a training method, what specifically does it actually train? That is—does it potentially train people to understand which emotions need to be encouraged and which need to be denied in order to promote our best interests? Or does it perhaps allow people to change or encourage emotional experience, as per personal preference moment by moment? Something else?

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

22 June 2019 15:00

nonverbal, this is a good question. I’ll start by saying that there are many different kinds of emotions with different complexities. Also, i’m wondering if you are in agreement that an emotion in the mind is caused by a force essentially. If not you may want to look at my earlier responses. 

The short answer is that the potential for growing the mind in this practice is very large and broad including improvements in memory, responsiveness, clear vision, deep learning, anticipation, creativity and so on. The reason is that emotions are complex and responding to emotions directly and properly makes the mind smarter. The strategies are designed to give you an edge to do just that(respond to emotions better and grow the mind). The practice is really about cutting to the chase and dealing with emotions directly. This means using the force of the emotion to ones own advantage. Remember earlier I made the connection that emotions/feelings are caused by a force.

Thanks for your question. 

1 2 3 >  Last ›