< 1 2 3 4 > 

In my Estimation the new Ideas and Strategies in this Writing will Greatly Improve the World if Understood and Applied

kevergar

kevergar
Total Posts:  32
Joined  21-06-2019

22 June 2019 15:28

nonverbal, now the overarching goal is while doing this practice to keep the intention to feel emotionally satisfied. That is the goal, and that is the continuous guide for how to direct the force of the emotion.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15809
Joined  17-12-2006

22 June 2019 18:58

kevergar - 22 June 2019 11:15 AM

Jb8989 So I partially agree with you. The practice is internal in the mind, and it is a training method. It’s not going to teach you how to do the dishes or something else external that is occurring, but I strongly believe it can train the mind in a way that makes learning in the physical world less challenging. 

Also, different kinds of forces/emotions in the mind vary in how complicated they are. In my last paragraph I said don’t underestimate how effective responding to your emotions in this practice can be for pattern recognition training.

I like what your getting at with ‘forcing yourself to feel a certain way’, but on the contrary if you are feeling actual negative emotions those feelings can be extremely debilitating. Learning how to make yourself feel reasonably better is a very valuable skill.

Lastly, I really think it is important to realize that the practice knocks out two birds with one stone in my second paragraph because that is what makes the practice very powerful. 

I’m not quite sure what kind of flow you’re referring to though.

First off, a person needs to have the ability to actually direct their emotions. Second, this seems an equivalent of the practice known as “affirmations.” A person can affirm all they want (e.g., repeating continually I am going to be rich) but that and a buck won’t get them a cup of coffee.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

22 June 2019 19:09

burt, I’m not getting across to you. I also believe it is especially important for people to have the ability to direct their own emotions to their own liking.

And this really is not even close to affirmations, you’ll have to add more detail to why you have come to that conclusion based off what I have written.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

22 June 2019 20:26

kevergar - 22 June 2019 07:09 PM

burt, I’m not getting across to you. I also believe it is especially important for people to have the ability to direct their own emotions to their own liking.

And this really is not even close to affirmations, you’ll have to add more detail to why you have come to that conclusion based off what I have written.

But most people, most of the time don’t have the ability to direct their emotions, and telling them they should do so is very different from showing them (perhaps through an extended training program). Cat’s meditation work, for example, helps as a means for learning this ability.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

22 June 2019 20:32

burt - 22 June 2019 08:26 PM

But most people, most of the time don’t have the ability to direct their emotions, and telling them they should do so is very different from showing them (perhaps through an extended training program). Cat’s meditation work, for example, helps as a means for learning this ability.

All of the strategies that I wrote about in my writing were specifically designed to help train people to direct their emotions more effectively. So that they can feel better also.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

22 June 2019 21:56

kevergar - 22 June 2019 08:32 PM

All of the strategies that I wrote about in my writing were specifically designed to help train people to direct their emotions more effectively. So that they can feel better also.

That’s the difference between describing the taste of vanilla ice cream and teaching somebody how to make it so they can enjoy the taste as well. In legitimate schools devoted to this sort of thing there are set curricula involving not only intellectual instructions, but physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual exercises that produce the capacities to actually produce experiences, not just hear somebody tell about them.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

23 June 2019 12:09

burt - 22 June 2019 09:56 PM

That’s the difference between describing the taste of vanilla ice cream and teaching somebody how to make it so they can enjoy the taste as well. In legitimate schools devoted to this sort of thing there are set curricula involving not only intellectual instructions, but physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual exercises that produce the capacities to actually produce experiences, not just hear somebody tell about them.

The paper that I wrote covers all of the components needed to do the practice. It is an instruction that covers the needed ideas to participate. Please read my paper more comprehensively or be more descriptive based on what I have written to prove your point.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

23 June 2019 13:18

nonverbal - 22 June 2019 01:53 PM

Jb8989 So I partially agree with you. The practice is internal in the mind, and it is a training method. It’s not going to teach you how to do the dishes or something else external that is occurring, but I strongly believe it can train the mind in a way that makes learning in the physical world less challenging. 

Also, different kinds of forces/emotions in the mind vary in how complicated they are. In my last paragraph I said don’t underestimate how effective responding to your emotions in this practice can be for pattern recognition training.

I like what your getting at with ‘forcing yourself to feel a certain way’, but on the contrary if you are feeling actual negative emotions those feelings can be extremely debilitating. Learning how to make yourself feel reasonably better is a very valuable skill.

Lastly, I really think it is important to realize that the practice knocks out two birds with one stone in my second paragraph because that is what makes the practice very powerful. 

Kev, I apologize for only skimming your paragraphs, and I’ll read them when I get a chance.

If you’re presenting a training method, what specifically does it actually train? That is—does it potentially train people to understand which emotions need to be encouraged and which need to be denied in order to promote our best interests? Or does it perhaps allow people to change or encourage emotional experience, as per personal preference moment by moment? Something else?

Actually, I want to get more into this. I think initially when you begin the practice and the mind is conflicted the kinds of emotions that a person prefers and can create are not always totally positive right? But I think when you are continuously using the feelings as a guide with the intention to feel better(emotionally satisfied) and using the strategies to help with responding better to complicated emotions things start to straighten out. So I think overall the practice can really help people be more reasonable and happy.

Also, I am writing a much more concise step by step version of the practice that I think will help a lot with clarity.

The other part of my answer is on page 1

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

23 June 2019 13:25

kevergar - 23 June 2019 12:09 PM

The paper that I wrote covers all of the components needed to do the practice. It is an instruction that covers the needed ideas to participate. Please read my paper more comprehensively or be more descriptive based on what I have written to prove your point.

You can tell people to “use the force of their mind to guide the stream of emotions, with the intention of feeling well,” but how do you get them to actually develop the capacity to do this, other than telling them it takes effort so go ahead and fake it until you make it. For example, there is an exercise routine that was prescribed for me about 40 years ago, which I carried out over a 3 week period, and periodically repeat, that involves developing the ability to separate the mind into five different but simultaneous focuses of attention. One effect of this exercise is precisely the opposite of “using force,” it opens the mind to recognition of content to the point that no force at all is required, rather one simply recognizes attractions and aversions and selects a point of attention. The point being that this wasn’t a matter of me being told to control my mind in a certain way, rather there was a prescribed set of exercises (physical, emotional, mental) to carry out that had little to do directly with controlling the mind but which built the underlying capacities required.

On the other hand, you might want to explore the work of Antonio Damasio on emotion, and the relationship between emotions and feelings.

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

23 June 2019 13:40

burt - 23 June 2019 01:25 PM

You can tell people to “use the force of their mind to guide the stream of emotions, with the intention of feeling well,” but how do you get them to actually develop the capacity to do this, other than telling them it takes effort so go ahead and fake it until you make it. For example, there is an exercise routine that was prescribed for me about 40 years ago, which I carried out over a 3 week period, and periodically repeat, that involves developing the ability to separate the mind into five different but simultaneous focuses of attention. One effect of this exercise is precisely the opposite of “using force,” it opens the mind to recognition of content to the point that no force at all is required, rather one simply recognizes attractions and aversions and selects a point of attention. The point being that this wasn’t a matter of me being told to control my mind in a certain way, rather there was a prescribed set of exercises (physical, emotional, mental) to carry out that had little to do directly with controlling the mind but which built the underlying capacities required.

On the other hand, you might want to explore the work of Antonio Damasio on emotion, and the relationship between emotions and feelings.

Okay I think it is important to keep in mind Jordan Peterson’s advice on incremental training. The different strategies vary in difficulty, but perhaps it is not so complicated as you are imagining. So there are really two issues that I see that can inhibit someone from doing the practices. The first is just not quite understanding how to do the practices in the mind which I am working on clarifying. And the other issue is more of once you learn the basics of the strategies on how to do them just having enough skill of mind and power of mind to do the exercise effectively. So for example, the strategy that I said helps people with depression requires the least amount of power of the mind. That practice is ‘non-resistance’. The way that I would describe the ‘non-resistance’ practice is that often times when someone is depressed it can be extraordinarily tiring to constantly resist ones negative emotions. So I quite like the practice because instead of constantly providing more resistance to no avail, you can actually practice not putting up a resistance and that can actually train the mind and untangle the user from depression.

also, I am working on a concise step by step guide now for the practice

thanks for your question.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

23 June 2019 13:57

Hypothetically, if there was a pill with no side effects but would make you feel happy all the time, would you take it? Let’s say that it would also up your intelligence?

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

23 June 2019 15:06

Jb8989 - 23 June 2019 01:57 PM

Hypothetically, if there was a pill with no side effects but would make you feel happy all the time, would you take it? Let’s say that it would also up your intelligence?

So it really comes down to the consequences right, it’s hard to say whether that will be a good or bad idea. But I do believe in making certain sacrifices in the present for the future. It can be difficult to know if certain sacrifices will pay off, and also I am a very risk averse person really. I don’t believe in taking unnecessary risks even if it’s for ‘fun’ or whatever.

I like where I think you’re going with this though. When it comes to the practice, I think there is really so much more control, including long term effects, than people initially realize. Like for example when you progress at being able to control your own emotions, you can create a much more positive head space, and the increases in intelligence really helps people be more accurate in their judgement. I’m not saying it’s perfect because people still make mistakes, but I think it’s a big step in the right direction.

[ Edited: 23 June 2019 15:30 by kevergar]

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

23 June 2019 16:44

kevergar - 23 June 2019 01:40 PM

Okay I think it is important to keep in mind Jordan Peterson’s advice on incremental training. The different strategies vary in difficulty, but perhaps it is not so complicated as you are imagining. So there are really two issues that I see that can inhibit someone from doing the practices. The first is just not quite understanding how to do the practices in the mind which I am working on clarifying. And the other issue is more of once you learn the basics of the strategies on how to do them just having enough skill of mind and power of mind to do the exercise effectively. So for example, the strategy that I said helps people with depression requires the least amount of power of the mind. That practice is ‘non-resistance’. The way that I would describe the ‘non-resistance’ practice is that often times when someone is depressed it can be extraordinarily tiring to constantly resist ones negative emotions. So I quite like the practice because instead of constantly providing more resistance to no avail, you can actually practice not putting up a resistance and that can actually train the mind and untangle the user from depression.

I think you might be off base with depression, which is a condition that has biological roots. Ordinary depression (as in “feeling down”) is not the same. But clinical depression is a serious illness; it’s not a matter of non-resistance, to coin a phrase, resistance is futile. I have a cousin who experiences bouts of clinical depression and simply telling her not to resist it would be like telling somebody caught in a burning house not resist the flames. I get what you’re aiming at, but with things that have medical roots there is more to consider.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7082
Joined  15-02-2007

23 June 2019 16:50

burt - 23 June 2019 04:44 PM

I think you might be off base with depression, which is a condition that has biological roots. Ordinary depression (as in “feeling down”) is not the same. But clinical depression is a serious illness; it’s not a matter of non-resistance, to coin a phrase, resistance is futile. I have a cousin who experiences bouts of clinical depression and simply telling her not to resist it would be like telling somebody caught in a burning house not resist the flames. I get what you’re aiming at, but with things that have medical roots there is more to consider.

On a cautionary note, it should be stated clearly that this practice and methodology is not for everyone, and cannot be expected to mitigate or negate medical conditions that affect emotional stability.  It would be highly irresponsible, and possibly dangerous, to think that is possible or even probable.

...you can actually practice not putting up a resistance and that can actually train the mind and untangle the user from depression.

What background data do you have to support this statement? 

[ Edited: 23 June 2019 16:53 by Jefe]

kevergar

kevergar
Joined  21-06-2019

23 June 2019 16:52

burt - 23 June 2019 04:44 PM

I agree with you that depression is serious, and I’m not saying the strategy is a total cure but I am arguing that it could help. There are different kinds of depression also, not only sadness depression, but also depression that saps the motivation away and that type is mainly what I was referring too. And I think if the strategy is not working at the moment then don’t excessively force it onto yourself.

< 1 2 3 4 >