1 2 > 

Trump and the NRA

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8625
Joined  20-02-2006

25 June 2019 19:14

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

quote from this article:  “US President Donald Trump has already said the Pittsburgh shooting had “little to do” with US gun laws. “If they had protection inside, maybe it could have been a different situation,” he said.

About 40% of Americans say they own a gun or live in a household with one, according to a 2017 survey, and the rate of murder or manslaughter by firearm is the highest in the developed world. There were more than 11,000 deaths as a result of murder or manslaughter involving a firearm in 2016.”  (end quote)

Q:  What do you think of the idea of building a granite memorial outside the headquarters of the NRA in Fairfax, Virginia on which would be carved the names of all civilian victims of gun violence since the start of this century?  Every day about 30 new names would be added . . . about 11,000 additions every year.  New granite blocks would be added as needed. 

It would give family and friends of victims a place to visit, grieve, meet each other. 

[ Edited: 25 June 2019 19:19 by unsmoked]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

26 June 2019 12:39

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/06/26/parkland-survivor-david-hogg-says-hes-faced-7-assassination-attempts-this-past-year/23756999/

June 26, 2019

After the 2017 shooting massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, then-17-year-old survivor David Hogg and several of his young classmates forced the nation to sit up and have a tough — and different — conversation about gun violence. The teens marched for their lives, and challenged seasoned gun lobbyists and lawmakers on live television. They led protests and boycotts, and inspired young people across the country to register and vote for candidates who support more stringent gun control.

On Tuesday, Hogg, now 19, shared with The Washington Post the high cost that’s come with the teens’ activism. His and his family’s safety have been put at risk, he said. In the past year alone, “there have been seven assassination attempts” on his life, Hogg said.

Q:  Does Trump encourage these would-be assassins?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5134
Joined  28-05-2009

26 June 2019 18:15

unsmoked - 26 June 2019 12:39 PM

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/06/26/parkland-survivor-david-hogg-says-hes-faced-7-assassination-attempts-this-past-year/23756999/

June 26, 2019

After the 2017 shooting massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, then-17-year-old survivor David Hogg and several of his young classmates forced the nation to sit up and have a tough — and different — conversation about gun violence. The teens marched for their lives, and challenged seasoned gun lobbyists and lawmakers on live television. They led protests and boycotts, and inspired young people across the country to register and vote for candidates who support more stringent gun control.

On Tuesday, Hogg, now 19, shared with The Washington Post the high cost that’s come with the teens’ activism. His and his family’s safety have been put at risk, he said. In the past year alone, “there have been seven assassination attempts” on his life, Hogg said.

Q:  Does Trump encourage these would-be assassins?

I doubt he gives them direct support but he is complicit. He has stoked the fire of national chauvinism. He rationalizes and/or applauds hooligan violence against his rivals. He bends over for the NRA like most Republicans.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7654
Joined  22-02-2014

27 June 2019 08:09

I’ve never owned a firearm. I’m 99% with you when it comes to defanging the NRA, banning assault weapons, creating tougher gun registration laws, and so on.

But I also think we’re a few short steps away from a fascist state, and that it might be good if “the people” are able fight back.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5134
Joined  28-05-2009

27 June 2019 08:56

I don’t endorse a ban on firearms. I’m just disgusted with American gun culture. I think people die needlessly every day because we can’t have a rational conversation about the place of guns in a free society.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17602
Joined  15-02-2008

27 June 2019 09:07

icehorse - 27 June 2019 08:09 AM

I’ve never owned a firearm. I’m 99% with you when it comes to defanging the NRA, banning assault weapons, creating tougher gun registration laws, and so on.

But I also think we’re a few short steps away from a fascist state, and that it might be good if “the people” are able fight back.

We need guns to go to war with the government, cuz that will surly MAGA!  Where in the world has going to war with the government made things great? This is such a bullshit argument, the wet-dream of every gun nut, extremist and post apocalyptic want-a-be dictator.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2754
Joined  19-01-2015

27 June 2019 09:08

I’m for a Reverse-Purge experiment:
a week in which carrying or using any firearm is illegal.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

27 June 2019 09:24

GAD - 27 June 2019 09:07 AM

We need guns to go to war with the government, cuz that will surly MAGA!  Where in the world has going to war with the government made things great? This is such a bullshit argument, the wet-dream of every gun nut, extremist and post apocalyptic want-a-be dictator.

Get real dude. The last thing I want is to live in a fascist state or to have to go to war with the government. I also don’t want Greenland’s ice and snow to melt and for sea levels to rise by 10 or 20 feet. But s#it like that might happen.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

27 June 2019 09:40

icehorse - 27 June 2019 09:24 AM

Get real dude. The last thing I want is to live in a fascist state or to have to go to war with the government. I also don’t want Greenland’s ice and snow to melt and for sea levels to rise by 10 or 20 feet. But s#it like that might happen.

I’m not the one advocating needs guns to fight the government, that would be you, so check yourself.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

27 June 2019 09:50

GAD - 27 June 2019 09:40 AM

I’m not the one advocating needs guns to fight the government, that would be you, so check yourself.

this idea requires some nuance to discuss. when you offer some, i’ll proceed.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

27 June 2019 10:30

icehorse - 27 June 2019 09:50 AM
GAD - 27 June 2019 09:40 AM

this idea requires some nuance to discuss. when you offer some, i’ll proceed.

IOW you have an agenda but you don’t want to clearly state your agenda because that would expose its cracks and pot, and you want to do what you always do and spend a 100 posts going in circles trying to be cleaver and sell your agenda without saying what you are selling and then blame me for not understanding. No thanks.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21575
Joined  11-03-2007

27 June 2019 10:54

We need guns to go to war with the government, cuz that will surly MAGA!  Where in the world has going to war with the government made things great? .

The American Revolution.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2754
Joined  19-01-2015

27 June 2019 11:00

EN - 27 June 2019 10:54 AM

We need guns to go to war with the government, cuz that will surly MAGA!  Where in the world has going to war with the government made things great? .

The American Revolution.

you mean that time when France went to war with England, and had a little help from some colonists?

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

27 June 2019 11:01

gad:

IOW you have an agenda but you don’t want to clearly state your agenda because that would expose its cracks and pot, and you want to do what you always do and spend a 100 posts going in circles trying to be cleaver and sell your agenda without saying what you are selling and then blame me for not understanding. No thanks.

Bad guess, but go ahead and knock yourself out or not. As long as you’re reading with your blinders on, I’m happy to leave it here.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

27 June 2019 12:16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

Timothy James McVeigh (April 23, 1968 – June 11, 2001) was an American domestic terrorist who perpetrated the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, which killed 168 people and injured over 680 others.  The bombing was the deadliest act of terrorism within the United States prior to the September 11 attacks, and remains the deadliest act of domestic terrorism in United States history.

A Gulf War veteran, McVeigh sought revenge against the federal government for the 1993 Waco siege, which ended in the deaths of 86 people—many of whom were children—exactly two years before the bombing; the 1992 Ruby Ridge incident; and the United States’ foreign policy. He hoped to inspire a revolt against the federal government, and defended the bombing as a legitimate tactic against what he saw as a tyrannical federal government.

[ Edited: 27 June 2019 12:32 by unsmoked]

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

27 June 2019 12:31

unsmoked - 27 June 2019 12:16 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

Timothy James McVeigh (April 23, 1968 – June 11, 2001) was an American domestic terrorist who perpetrated the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, which killed 168 people and injured over 680 others.[4][5] The bombing was the deadliest act of terrorism within the United States prior to the September 11 attacks, and remains the deadliest act of domestic terrorism in United States history.

A Gulf War veteran, McVeigh sought revenge against the federal government for the 1993 Waco siege, which ended in the deaths of 86 people—many of whom were children—exactly two years before the bombing; the 1992 Ruby Ridge incident; and the United States’ foreign policy. He hoped to inspire a revolt against the federal government, and defended the bombing as a legitimate tactic against what he saw as a tyrannical federal government.

To be clear, I’m not advocating doing anything unconstitutional.

And it’s also the case that the definition of a “tyrannical government” is quite subjective. But we could probably cook up an extreme example of a government gone wrong and agree that at some point a government can cross over to being tyrannical, and no longer serving the best interests of the people.

A huge step towards tyranny has been coming not from the government directly but from “the corporation”, that is putting its (corporate), interests ahead of the people’s, and that is also making alarming progress in gaining control of the government.

I sincerely hope that we have time to legally and non-violently defang corporations. This is nothing like McVeigh.

1 2 >