1 2 3 >  Last ›

Is your religion mythology?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8627
Joined  20-02-2006

26 June 2019 11:54

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2019/02/you-need-to-consider-the-possibility-your-religion-is-mythology/

. . . This means at least over 6 billion people alive today believe in a religion that was written 100% by human beings and 0% dictated by the creator of the universe. A belief system written by human beings that has no bearing on the factual nature of reality is mythology. The cold, hard truth of reality is that the vast majority of the people alive today believe in mythology and dogmatically refuse to even consider the possibility that’s true. So if you believe in religion, there’s automatically a 99% chance you believe in mythology. If you refuse to question your beliefs, there’s no way for you to know if they’re true, which increases the chance that you believe in mythology to 99.9%. This number is increased to 99.99% if your religion contains any of the following:

1: Human sacrifices

2: Moral values that reflect the needs and wants of a specific primitive culture

3: Instructions to hurt, kill or look down on other people

4: Reasons to look down on yourself

5: A pyramid-shaped authority structure

6: Scientifically inaccurate statements

7: Magical beings, powers or events that no longer exist

(scroll down in article to see Schulz ‘Peanuts’ comic on this subject)

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2019/06/how-the-prosperity-gospel-convinces-poor-people-to-give-everything-to-grifty-millionaire-preachers/

“How the “prosperity gospel” convinces poor people to give everything to grifty millionaire preachers.”

quote:  “Royalties from Osteen’s book sales, radio show, public speaking fees, and church collection reportedly generate $55 million per year. He and his wife, co-pastor Victoria Osteen, live with their two kids in a $10.5 million mansion in the Houston suburbs. Osteen’s net worth is reported as $40 million.Jan 31, 2019”

And convinces gullible ‘making-ends-meet’ people to give world power to grifty millionaire con men -  https://www.travelandleisure.com/culture-design/architecture-design/trump-tower-donald-trump-penthouse

[ Edited: 26 June 2019 12:08 by unsmoked]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2757
Joined  19-01-2015

26 June 2019 12:38

As an Old Time Theist, I strongly object to

7: Magical beings, powers or events that no longer exist

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7107
Joined  15-02-2007

26 June 2019 20:39

All religion is mythology….

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17606
Joined  15-02-2008

26 June 2019 21:06

Jefe - 26 June 2019 08:39 PM

All religion is mythology….

Exactly what I thought when I read the thread title.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9599
Joined  20-10-2006

26 June 2019 22:19

I suspect many believers hold to religion out of fear of a void if they were to leave it.  A fear of not having a guiding principle/ethic/morality to keep themselves, or others, in check from chaos.  I was without religion for nine years before finding something which offered a suitable explanation for how society operates, but I was not looking for something to fill the hole caused by atheism.  Most Westerners do not like empty places in their lives and quickly fill it with something, anything, to fill what is believed to be an empty space. 

Will someone help me tell them that empty space in their lives is not to be feared, or necessarily filled?  Sometimes empty space is a good thing; just let it be empty and appreciate the silence.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6356
Joined  22-02-2005

27 June 2019 01:47

How about,… when the ground turns out to be groundless, falling into the emptiness will become, in time, just weightlessness.

Floating in an abyss is way cool. Our ancestors have been doing it for millions of years.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

27 June 2019 13:50

Skipshot - 26 June 2019 10:19 PM

I suspect many believers hold to religion out of fear of a void if they were to leave it.  A fear of not having a guiding principle/ethic/morality to keep themselves, or others, in check from chaos.  I was without religion for nine years before finding something which offered a suitable explanation for how society operates, but I was not looking for something to fill the hole caused by atheism.  Most Westerners do not like empty places in their lives and quickly fill it with something, anything, to fill what is believed to be an empty space. 

Will someone help me tell them that empty space in their lives is not to be feared, or necessarily filled?  Sometimes empty space is a good thing; just let it be empty and appreciate the silence.

Not only fear of a void.  Most religious people never forget the threats of terrible punishment if they start suspecting that the religion they were imbued with during childhood is a myth, not historical fact.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/myth

myth  noun

a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

any invented story, idea, or concept:
His account of the event is pure myth.
an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1859
Joined  14-08-2008

27 June 2019 13:52

Yes. When, as children, we stop believing in Santa Claus, we don’t fill it with anything else. We just grow up. That’s what humanity needs to do when it comes to religion… grow up

Ron

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

27 June 2019 15:07

MrRon - 27 June 2019 01:52 PM

Yes. When, as children, we stop believing in Santa Claus, we don’t fill it with anything else. We just grow up. That’s what humanity needs to do when it comes to religion… grow up

Ron

Good point.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

28 June 2019 11:36

Skipshot - 27 June 2019 03:07 PM
MrRon - 27 June 2019 01:52 PM

Ron

Good point.

http://bengtwendel.com/your-teacup-is-full-empty-your-cup/

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3333
Joined  26-01-2010

29 June 2019 16:21

My first reaction on seeing this question is, of course, all religions are mythologies. That’s because they contain explanations.

My second reaction is, every story is mythology, because each is in some sense an explanation.

My third reaction is, humans are really incapable of understanding anything except via mythology. Even the hard sciences use verbal explanations to supplement the mathematical descriptions. Humans are not natively capable of understanding the meaning of mathematical statements, but need to translate them into images that correlate with their subjective mental objects. I am sure many will disagree with this, but I find it to be the most accurate way to say what my own experience is.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  31-10-2015

29 June 2019 18:38

Poldano - 29 June 2019 04:21 PM

My first reaction on seeing this question is, of course, all religions are mythologies. That’s because they contain explanations.

My second reaction is, every story is mythology, because each is in some sense an explanation.

My third reaction is, humans are really incapable of understanding anything except via mythology. Even the hard sciences use verbal explanations to supplement the mathematical descriptions. Humans are not natively capable of understanding the meaning of mathematical statements, but need to translate them into images that correlate with their subjective mental objects. I am sure many will disagree with this, but I find it to be the most accurate way to say what my own experience is.

Only one person comes to mind who would likely disagree with your analysis, Poldano. But rather than refer to him directly, I’ll just suggest that he’s one of the many “bb"s around here.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21577
Joined  11-03-2007

29 June 2019 21:17

nonverbal - 29 June 2019 06:38 PM

My third reaction is, humans are really incapable of understanding anything except via mythology. Even the hard sciences use verbal explanations to supplement the mathematical descriptionsy. Humans are not natively capable of understanding the meaning of mathematical statements, but need to translate them into images that correlate with their subjective mental objects. I am sure many will disagree with this, but I find it to be the most accurate way to say what my own experience is.

Only one person comes to mind who would likely disagree with your analysis, Poldano. But rather than refer to him directly, I’ll just suggest that he’s one of the many “bb"s around here.

What are some prevalent atheist mythologies?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  31-10-2015

29 June 2019 21:38

EN - 29 June 2019 09:17 PM

My third reaction is, humans are really incapable of understanding anything except via mythology. Even the hard sciences use verbal explanations to supplement the mathematical descriptionsy. Humans are not natively capable of understanding the meaning of mathematical statements, but need to translate them into images that correlate with their subjective mental objects. I am sure many will disagree with this, but I find it to be the most accurate way to say what my own experience is.

Atheism mostly subtracts, but maybe I’m missing something.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

30 June 2019 14:05

Hmm, can’t think of anything except the projection that some theists may engage in when claiming that Science essentially is an Atheist’s ‘faith’.

Most atheists realize that science is in a continual state of refinement in its efforts to describe and model reality and try to avoid “absolute certainty” thinking in any realm, even though we often live our everyday lives as though some absolute certainties exist.

For me, I’ve always been a strong ‘believer’ in science, and I’ll concede this was a significant factor in my deconversion from religious belief. But I don’t think it was the devil that made me do it, although some of my family members may disagree wink

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

30 June 2019 18:47

nonverbal - 29 June 2019 09:38 PM

Atheism mostly subtracts, but maybe I’m missing something.

Good question, EN.  I think you are in a better position to identify atheist mythologies, since we atheists have our infidel blinders to our own mythologies.  I am certainly open to questioning my beliefs on occasion.

1 2 3 >  Last ›