Trump’s July 4 speech

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3209
Joined  21-10-2016

06 July 2019 08:39

History lessons for Donald Trump after his Fourth of July speech
https://www.macleans.ca/news/history-lessons-for-donald-trump-after-his-fourth-of-july-speech/

Trump called Alexander Graham Bell an American – wait, wasn’t he Canadian?
https://globalnews.ca/news/5462699/donald-trump-alexander-graham-bell/

“For Americans, nothing is impossible.”  [Trump]

An examination of Bell’s life confirms that he was, indeed, an American citizen — but not when the phone was invented.

Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and moved with his family to Brantford, Ont. in August 1870, as recounted by Historica Canada.

So, the U.K. (Scotland), Canada and the U.S. all have a claim on Alexander Graham Bell.

One thing is clear – for one American (Trump) and his minions, claims to greatness need not be based on accurate historical fact and detail.  But what is most disheartening is, that after over two years of such speeches from this POTUS, it comes as no surprise at all.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6999
Joined  15-02-2007

06 July 2019 08:51

His is the ‘useful idiot’ at the head of the current gop/evangelical machine.
It doesn’t matter to them, or the single-issue-voter, that he is not the sharpest tack in the shed.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

06 July 2019 09:38

Jefe - 06 July 2019 08:51 AM

His is the ‘useful idiot’ at the head of the current gop/evangelical machine.
It doesn’t matter to them, or the single-issue-voter, that he is not the sharpest tack in the shed.

Sad but true.  You’d think though that he’d care that he sounds like an idiot to the rest of his country and the world.  That he’d use the services of a competent speech writer to express his views, at least for formal speeches.  But no, his narcissism has taken him to a whole other level.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21394
Joined  11-03-2007

06 July 2019 11:24

I learned that we had airports in 1776.  Wow!

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  310
Joined  07-02-2017

06 July 2019 11:43

When asked if he considered himself a German or a Jew…
“I look upon myself as a man. Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.”
— To The Saturday Evening Post, October 1929

Borrowing from Einstein, I strive to look at myself as a human being first, and an American second realizing that I had absolutely nothing to do with my place of birth.

There’s a mindset that’s always been present here that Trump has capitalized on. A toxic brew of American ‘exceptionalism’ mixed with white nationalism and fundamentalist style Christianity. It’s very concerning to me, and I hope to most Americans.

I watched zero coverage Trump’s hijacking of the 4th and plan to keep it that way.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

06 July 2019 12:16

proximacentauri - 06 July 2019 11:43 AM

When asked if he considered himself a German or a Jew…
“I look upon myself as a man. Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.”
— To The Saturday Evening Post, October 1929

Borrowing from Einstein, I strive to look at myself as a human being first, and an American second realizing that I had absolutely nothing to do with my place of birth.

There’s a mindset that’s always been present here that Trump has capitalized on. A toxic brew of American ‘exceptionalism’ mixed with white nationalism and fundamentalist style Christianity. It’s very concerning to me, and I hope to most Americans.

I watched zero coverage Trump’s hijacking of the 4th and plan to keep it that way.

Yes, a human being first.  We could all do with more of that.

And yes, Trump managed to capitalize on the baser qualities of American culture, but I predict he will be ousted by its virtues, some of which have lain dormant until his unintentional inspiration for their reawakening.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1807
Joined  14-08-2008

06 July 2019 13:41

EN - 06 July 2019 11:24 AM

I learned that we had airports in 1776.  Wow!

The Dotard blamed the teleprompter for that gaffe. But why was he using a teleprompter in the first place? The right demonized Obama relentlessly for his use of teleprompters. Why is it all of a sudden OK for Trump to use them???

Ron

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3118
Joined  07-08-2011

07 July 2019 13:20

Jan_CAN - 06 July 2019 08:39 AM

https://www.macleans.ca/news/history-lessons-for-donald-trump-after-his-fourth-of-july-speech/

An examination of Bell’s life confirms that he was, indeed, an American citizen — but not when the phone was invented.

Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and moved with his family to Brantford, Ont. in August 1870, as recounted by Historica Canada.

So, the U.K. (Scotland), Canada and the U.S. all have a claim on Alexander Graham Bell.

One thing is clear – for one American (Trump) and his minions, claims to greatness need not be based on accurate historical fact and detail.  But what is most disheartening is, that after over two years of such speeches from this POTUS, it comes as no surprise at all.

He lived in Canada.  As most people who immigrate into Canada, they desire to move to the USA.  He considered himself an American long before he become citizen.

“Bell was rudely awakened to his alien status when he tried to file a caveat (notice of intention to file a patent) with the United States Patent Office to establish priority as the inventor of the telephone. Told that, although aliens were eligible to apply for patents, only citizens could file caveats, Bell began the process of naturalization. He took out his first papers in 1874, which granted him most rights of citizens, except the right to vote.”  This was two years before the telephone was invented.

Bell was proud of his American citizenship, specifically rejecting in 1915 the notion that he was a hyphenated American and flying the American flag at his summer home in Nova Scotia. At his instructions, the plaque marking his burial place at his Canadian summer home bears the inscription: “Died a Citizen of the United States.”

As an immigrant I understand Bell’s pride of being an American. He understood the American ideals. Only the loony lefties will look for technical loop holes devoid of any sense of moral purpose or principles to rebut Men’s life.

Google the man’s head stone and see what it says per his own wish and if you still think there is any room to dispute how he identified, you are hopelessly lost. If you don’t even respect man’s last wish engraved on his headstone, you respect nothing.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

07 July 2019 15:18

Celal - 07 July 2019 01:20 PM
Jan_CAN - 06 July 2019 08:39 AM

He lived in Canada.  As most people who immigrate into Canada, they desire to move to the USA.  He considered himself an American long before he become citizen.

“Bell was rudely awakened to his alien status when he tried to file a caveat (notice of intention to file a patent) with the United States Patent Office to establish priority as the inventor of the telephone. Told that, although aliens were eligible to apply for patents, only citizens could file caveats, Bell began the process of naturalization. He took out his first papers in 1874, which granted him most rights of citizens, except the right to vote.”  This was two years before the telephone was invented.

Bell was proud of his American citizenship, specifically rejecting in 1915 the notion that he was a hyphenated American and flying the American flag at his summer home in Nova Scotia. At his instructions, the plaque marking his burial place at his Canadian summer home bears the inscription: “Died a Citizen of the United States.”

As an immigrant I understand Bell’s pride of being an American. He understood the American ideals. Only the loony lefties will look for technical loop holes devoid of any sense of moral purpose or principles to rebut Men’s life.

Google the man’s head stone and see what it says per his own wish and if you still think there is any room to dispute how he identified, you are hopelessly lost. If you don’t even respect man’s last wish engraved on his headstone, you respect nothing.

Bell immigrated to Canada, lived much of his life in Canada, retired to Canada, and was buried in Canada.  He was not an American when the phone was invented.  As I said, more than one country claims him, and it is possible for a person to love more than one country.

And since the Trump phenomenon, the U.S. is becoming less attractive every day.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3118
Joined  07-08-2011

07 July 2019 16:31

Jan_CAN - 07 July 2019 03:18 PM

As I said, more than one country claims him, and it is possible for a person to love more than one country.

But he obviously wanted to be remembered as the citizen of only ONE country. Stop embarrassing yourself!

[ Edited: 07 July 2019 16:33 by Celal]
Image Attachments

bell.jpg

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

07 July 2019 17:15

Celal - 07 July 2019 04:31 PM
Jan_CAN - 07 July 2019 03:18 PM

As I said, more than one country claims him, and it is possible for a person to love more than one country.

But he obviously wanted to be remembered as the citizen of only ONE country. Stop embarrassing yourself!

I did not contradict your assertion that he valued his American citizenship.  His birthplace is also noted on the monument, and his chosen resting place and this gravestone are located in Nova Scotia.

And I’m not the least bit embarrassed at being able to see things through a broader scope.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5079
Joined  28-05-2009

08 July 2019 00:25

I don’t have the wind to dice the minutiae of Trumps speeches. The factual mistakes would not bother me in isolation. It’s the larger theme that sticks out and to which the mistakes are, I think almost a strategy. Trump knows his base will defend him as an emotional reflex. I think he says inflammatory and false and contradictory things to fan the flames of partisan hostility. Some of his supporters even brag about how he ‘trolls the libtards’. He may only be slightly aware of this tendency but I’ve dealt with a lot of passive aggressive people over the years. I’ve seen many variations of gas lighting, back handed compliments, subversive provocation and manipulation. Look at his face when he’s pretending to be interested or pretending to pray. There is a void behind those eyes. He gets no points from me for the incidentally factual things he says because it’s obvious that truth is not a priority. Facts and lies are of equal merit and are mixed together in whatever proportion serves his needs.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

08 July 2019 07:54

Brick Bungalow - 08 July 2019 12:25 AM

I don’t have the wind to dice the minutiae of Trumps speeches. The factual mistakes would not bother me in isolation. It’s the larger theme that sticks out and to which the mistakes are, I think almost a strategy. Trump knows his base will defend him as an emotional reflex. I think he says inflammatory and false and contradictory things to fan the flames of partisan hostility. Some of his supporters even brag about how he ‘trolls the libtards’. He may only be slightly aware of this tendency but I’ve dealt with a lot of passive aggressive people over the years. I’ve seen many variations of gas lighting, back handed compliments, subversive provocation and manipulation. Look at his face when he’s pretending to be interested or pretending to pray. There is a void behind those eyes. He gets no points from me for the incidentally factual things he says because it’s obvious that truth is not a priority. Facts and lies are of equal merit and are mixed together in whatever proportion serves his needs.

Yes, honest mistakes could be forgiven, but with Trump it is a symptom of his disregard for knowledge and truth, and the narcissism that leads him to believe that he knows all that is necessary.  His intuitive ability to manipulate the negative side of so many people is rather frightening.  The “void behind those eyes” is a good way to describe what can too often be seen – I might’ve said that he’s without a soul, but that sounds too religious.