1 2 > 

In the Workshop

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7119
Joined  15-02-2007

07 July 2019 14:00

I dunno if this is of interest to anyone here, but I’m working on a furniture making side-gig from my workshop/garage.
Here is one of the projects I have recently made - walnut storage bench for our dining room.  It will have a mirror image twin right beside it to fill the empty wall-space.

Image Attachments

bench1.jpg

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

07 July 2019 14:02

Drawers open:

Natural oil finish.  Hairpin legs.  Full extension drawer glides.
Took me about a week of evenings to complete.  Most of the time was spent waiting for the trim-glue to dry.
(Walnut veneer plywood with solid walnut drawer fronts and trim.  Solid walnut is pretty pricey here in the prairies…)

Image Attachments

bench2.jpg

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

07 July 2019 14:04

Next up are matching end-tables for our living room that will have similar hardware.
They will be maple and purple heart (Nicole loves purple…). 
They will also incorporate some USB charging ports and whatnot. 
I’ll post pics when I get them done too.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3430
Joined  21-10-2016

07 July 2019 15:30

Very nice.  A creative and practical hobby.

When you’re done with these projects, I could use another cabinet for my craft supplies since my hope chest now barely closes; I like walnut and maple too.  wink

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17630
Joined  15-02-2008

07 July 2019 17:20

Very nice! Wish I had time to do more projects.

[ Edited: 07 July 2019 21:14 by GAD]

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

07 July 2019 21:10

Jan_CAN - 07 July 2019 03:30 PM

When you’re done with these projects, I could use another cabinet for my craft supplies since my hope chest now barely closes; I like walnut and maple too.  wink

I take commissions for pieces.  But delivery might be costly…
You’re a long way from alberta….

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3430
Joined  21-10-2016

08 July 2019 08:01

Jefe - 07 July 2019 09:10 PM
Jan_CAN - 07 July 2019 03:30 PM

I take commissions for pieces.  But delivery might be costly…
You’re a long way from alberta….

Haha.  My guess is that you may not run out of your own projects anyway; there is often an endless call for carpentry skills around the house.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7662
Joined  22-02-2014

08 July 2019 08:03

I’m impressed, I struggle to cut a 2x4 to the correct length smile

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

08 July 2019 09:00

The trick is to scribe to actual lengths and make more than one (too long) cut, thereby sneaking up on near-perfection.

Using tape measures is inherently prone to error, simply due to human physical limitations.

Tapes get you close, scribing and patience gets you beautiful joins.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1807
Joined  31-10-2015

08 July 2019 14:42

Jefe - 07 July 2019 02:00 PM

I dunno if this is of interest to anyone here, but I’m working on a furniture making side-gig from my workshop/garage.

. . .

Just to the right of me sits the corner connection of a big 90-degree bookshelf system made of light-colored wood that my grandfather built for my parents back in the early ‘50s. The enormous shelves themselves are by now long gone—lost due to too many long-distance moves. I find it comforting to have what now amounts to an oddly-shaped and obviously-worn little table for a lamp. Hand-crafted wedding gifts to those who matter to us can outlast us, even if in an eventual (non-functioning) different utility.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

08 July 2019 14:58

nonverbal - 08 July 2019 02:42 PM

. . .

Just to the right of me sits the corner connection of a big 90-degree bookshelf system made of light-colored wood that my grandfather built for my parents back in the early ‘50s. The enormous shelves themselves are by now long gone—lost due to too many long-distance moves. I find it comforting to have what now amounts to an oddly-shaped and obviously-worn little table for a lamp. Hand-crafted wedding gifts to those who matter to us can outlast us, even if in an eventual (non-functioning) different utility.

That is awesome.  I have 4 125 year old cane-seat & wood chairs that came out of my g-gramp’s barn on the east coast.  The cane is all intact, but the chairs are short-backed, small-seated and uncomfy by today’s standards…  so we keep them, but don’t use them as chairs.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1807
Joined  31-10-2015

08 July 2019 15:43

Jefe - 08 July 2019 02:58 PM
nonverbal - 08 July 2019 02:42 PM

. . .

That is awesome.  I have 4 125 year old cane-seat & wood chairs that came out of my g-gramp’s barn on the east coast.  The cane is all intact, but the chairs are short-backed, small-seated and uncomfy by today’s standards…  so we keep them, but don’t use them as chairs.

Those must be valuable things to you. I have very few things from my grandfather, and I have no idea who my great grandparents were on that side. I used to have several of my grandpa’s old hand tools in my toolbox—punches, chisels, screwdrivers and such—but made the mistake of living near the big campus in Chico, CA just long enough to have my stuff broken into and stolen, twice. Bastards!

[ Edited: 08 July 2019 15:47 by nonverbal]

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4911
Joined  19-08-2010

09 July 2019 00:21

I wish I had that kind of talent and the patience to create something that looks that good. I wish I could do anything that well.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9617
Joined  20-10-2006

09 July 2019 09:20

Well done, jefe.  I admire woodworking and wish I had the patience and desire to realize the skill.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7662
Joined  22-02-2014

09 July 2019 09:52

Skipshot - 09 July 2019 09:20 AM

Well done, jefe.  I admire woodworking and wish I had the patience and desire to realize the skill.

A bit of a tangent (maybe not), this is a really fascinating comment skip. it’s a sort of meta-motivation observation. A lot of people would say “I wish I was such a good woodworker.” The answer to that is “you probably don’t, because if you really did, you’d have paid your dues”. Your observation seems to recognize that common pitfall - very interesting.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

09 July 2019 10:48

icehorse - 09 July 2019 09:52 AM
Skipshot - 09 July 2019 09:20 AM

A bit of a tangent (maybe not), this is a really fascinating comment skip. it’s a sort of meta-motivation observation. A lot of people would say “I wish I was such a good woodworker.” The answer to that is “you probably don’t, because if you really did, you’d have paid your dues”. Your observation seems to recognize that common pitfall - very interesting.

Maybe if you tried it, Skip.  Start small and simple, and work your way up.
Most of woodworking is just building different kinds of boxes.  Once you master simple boxes you go on to more complicated or combined boxes.  Then when you get to the point where boxes are pretty easy, you start embellishing them to make them more interesting.  Add curves, or tapers or filigree…

If you are really interested, look up a youtube series called Woodworking for Mere Mortals.  It has some really good tips and starter projects for people interested in the hobby, and the guy lives in California.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBB7sYb14uBtk8UqSQYc9-w
He also has a guide to setting up your own woodworking shop for under $1000 which is a good start.
If you already have home-owner tools, you will probably be able to do it for less.

And remember, measure many times, write it down, and when cutting it’s easier to trim some off than to add some on…

[ Edited: 09 July 2019 10:51 by Jefe]

1 2 >