< 1 2

what will the myths be in 500 years?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7657
Joined  22-02-2014

12 July 2019 08:22

LadyJane - 11 July 2019 02:04 PM

Palestine has never wanted to become a Theocracy.  Israel officially declared itself a Jewish Nation State about a year ago.  Laying the groundwork for the story they wish to perpetuate.  The Zionists seem to be the ones inching closer to a Fundamentalist Theocracy.

ok, wow..

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  477
Joined  03-08-2014

13 July 2019 11:02

LadyJane - 11 July 2019 07:02 AM

There’s no question what we are witnessing is genocide.  And as long as we allow corrupt leaders to exploit fictitious religious claims and circumvent the laws the mission to slaughter will continue.  The need to establish a homeland was understandable and necessary after WWII.  This is not that as the tables have turned.  Things have changed but attitudes are stuck in 1945.  The campaign to distort the past seventy years has been wildly successful as people shy away from uncomfortable topics, especially relating to religion, parroting every outdated argument they’ve ever heard to justify what they already believe.  These attempts to rewrite the history are happening in real time.  The evidence tells another story.  The history will reflect that.  I suspect in 500 years people will care about it as much as they do now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=megzzpTWajg

In Gaza, Israeli armed forces have been shooting children and unarmed protesters (see https://www.un.org/unispal/document/un-independent-commission-of-inquiry-on-protests-in-gaza-presents-its-findings-press-release/).  Gaza is said to become unlivable next year - the children are being poisoned by there not being sufficient clean water, it cholera or some other water-borne illness breaks out and wide scale deaths result, I suppose Israeli officials will claim its not their fault, despite these are imminent dangers thanks to Israel destroying sewage-treatment plants and preventing reconstruction.  In the West Bank Israel destroys schools, homes and prevents access to land, and dumps its waste water on Palestinian land and in general tries to force Palestinians out (see https://www.btselem.org/publications).  That’s the short list.

Do many acts of genocide, many murders with genocidal intent by Israeli armed forces or other armed Israelis constitute a genocide?  I tend to think so - but I can see the argument that it’s not (yet, I guess) a full-blown genocide.  Also sympathize with the need for Jews to find a homeland after WWII (they really needed refuge before WWII - but that’s a whole other story).

There’s a little more on the cover-up story here: https://mondoweiss.net/2019/07/reveals-israeli-conspiracy/.  In 1969-1970, Benny Morris’s father was one of the people making up false history for Israel - that the Deir Yassin massacre didn’t happen. 

On thinking about it, the truth is already out.  Israel won’t be able to cover it up.  But, I notice in wikipedia it says the reason for the Palestinian exodus is “controversial”.  Really?  With dozens of mass murders like at Sufsaf, threats of mass murders by Zionist forces, orders to leave at gunpoint by Israeli armed forces, and the reason for the exodus is “controversial?”  What about the dozens of law in various states making it illegal to boycott, and kind of illegal to criticize Israel?  I think in 500 years, there will still be a lot of believers of false myths.

Thank you for your response.

Edit: here is more with respect to genocide: https://ccrjustice.org/genocide-palestinian-people-international-law-and-human-rights-perspective

[ Edited: 20 July 2019 08:03 by lynmc]

lynmc

lynmc
Joined  03-08-2014

13 July 2019 11:12

icehorse - 11 July 2019 08:16 AM
LadyJane - 11 July 2019 07:02 AM

There’s no question what we are witnessing is genocide.  And as long as we allow corrupt leaders to exploit fictitious religious claims and circumvent the laws the mission to slaughter will continue.  The need to establish a homeland was understandable and necessary after WWII.  This is not that as the tables have turned.  Things have changed but attitudes are stuck in 1945.  The campaign to distort the past seventy years has been wildly successful as people shy away from uncomfortable topics, especially relating to religion, parroting every outdated argument they’ve ever heard to justify what they already believe.  These attempts to rewrite the history are happening in real time.  The evidence tells another story.  The history will reflect that.  I suspect in 500 years people will care about it as much as they do now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=megzzpTWajg

Really? Can you provide any stats for that? Hamas declared war on Israel decades ago. I might agree if you said that Israel has committed war-time atrocities, but genocide? In wartime?

Are you saying that war-time atrocities are never genocide, or this isn’t a genocides because it’s happening during war, or what?

FYI, Germany was at war when it committed genocide against Jews and Roma.  As Jews were probably among the leaders of the resistance to German conquest, do you think that would have been a justification for rounding them up and sending them to concentration camps even if that had been all they did?

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  01-11-2014

13 July 2019 12:29

It’s funny, no one has mentioned any actual “myths” here — the unsaid assumptions, subconscious and archetypal stories behind this catastrophe in the middle east.

The first myth being that the Jews are “God’s chosen people” and that because of this, as recorded in the Old Testament, they have an undisputed right to this plot of land. Seen in this light, the Palestinians are merely interlopers and roadblocks to God’s plan.

And this myth dovetails into the American Evangelical Christian myth that the Jews returning to Israel is a crucial condition towards the battle of Armageddon, the End of the World, and the return of Jesus to earth to save the “righteous.”

The Republican extremist right wing and the fanatical Evangelicals Christians have recently become one and the same. They have combined to dominant one of the two American political parties. They are a big part of Trump’s precious “base.” In their view, Israel can do no wrong. God’s work is being done. The Bible is coming to fulfillment. The End Days are here.

Let the Palestinians be ground into the earth by the Israelis. Let the planet heat up. Let ecosystems fail. Let drought and famine happen. Let war consume the middle east. It’s all foretold in the “Book of Revelations.”

Let’s help make it happen. Let’s help make it come true. We righteous and godly Evangelicals and our Republicans enablers, will be saved by the fifty foot tall Jesus descending from the clouds during the Rapture.

In 500 years—if humans still exist and if we aren’t huddled in underground caves living like moles because life on the surface is untenable—they’ll look back at the myths I just spoke about and shake their heads in wonder and despair. They’ll ponder how humans could be so delusional, gullible, violent, crazy and in love with death. They’ll wonder why the rest of us put up with this insanity; why we let the crazies gain control.

lynmc

lynmc
Joined  03-08-2014

15 July 2019 15:24

Cheshire Cat - 13 July 2019 12:29 PM

It’s funny, no one has mentioned any actual “myths” here — the unsaid assumptions, subconscious and archetypal stories behind this catastrophe in the middle east.

The first myth being that the Jews are “God’s chosen people” and that because of this, as recorded in the Old Testament, they have an undisputed right to this plot of land. Seen in this light, the Palestinians are merely interlopers and roadblocks to God’s plan.

And this myth dovetails into the American Evangelical Christian myth that the Jews returning to Israel is a crucial condition towards the battle of Armageddon, the End of the World, and the return of Jesus to earth to save the “righteous.”

The Republican extremist right wing and the fanatical Evangelicals Christians have recently become one and the same. They have combined to dominant one of the two American political parties. They are a big part of Trump’s precious “base.” In their view, Israel can do no wrong. God’s work is being done. The Bible is coming to fulfillment. The End Days are here.

Let the Palestinians be ground into the earth by the Israelis. Let the planet heat up. Let ecosystems fail. Let drought and famine happen. Let war consume the middle east. It’s all foretold in the “Book of Revelations.”

Let’s help make it happen. Let’s help make it come true. We righteous and godly Evangelicals and our Republicans enablers, will be saved by the fifty foot tall Jesus descending from the clouds during the Rapture.

In 500 years—if humans still exist and if we aren’t huddled in underground caves living like moles because life on the surface is untenable—they’ll look back at the myths I just spoke about and shake their heads in wonder and despair. They’ll ponder how humans could be so delusional, gullible, violent, crazy and in love with death. They’ll wonder why the rest of us put up with this insanity; why we let the crazies gain control.

Fairly stated!

Of course, the state of things 500 years in the future is darned near impossible to predict, but future mythology is likely to be derived from today’s mythology.  Israel seems bent on bending that mythology, spreading it, to their advantage.  I hope people look back and shake their heads in wonder and despair, but I think you’re a bit more optimistic about human nature than I am.

Icehorse had speculated that there would be less of an issue with Israel/Palestine if the place weren’t considered “holy land”, but this seems like a pointless point (true or not) as the place was chosen as a destination for Jews expelled from Europe because of the allure to Jews based on the myth they’re returning to their original homeland (substantially false, most modern Jews owe the bulk of their heritage to peoples who converted to Judaism outside Palestine/Israel) and probably more important, the wacky Christian ideas you noted.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7657
Joined  22-02-2014

15 July 2019 17:01

isn’t it fair to say that some of the sites in Israel are also highly cherished in Islam?

lynmc

lynmc
Joined  03-08-2014

17 July 2019 15:10

icehorse - 15 July 2019 05:01 PM

isn’t it fair to say that some of the sites in Israel are also highly cherished in Islam?

So what?

< 1 2