#163- Ricky Gervais

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6337
Joined  22-02-2005

12 July 2019 14:03

In this episode of the Making Sense podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Ricky Gervais. They discuss fame, the effect of social media, the changing state of comedy, offensive jokes, Louis CK, political hypocrisy, Brexit and Trump, the state of journalism, and other topics.

#163- Ricky Gervais

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious
Total Posts:  7
Joined  23-11-2017

13 July 2019 06:18

I enjoyed that.  Shame, though, that Ricky seems to have fallen for the “Political Correctness is just civility” canard. I’ll stick with George Carlin, who said “Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.”

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3306
Joined  21-10-2016

13 July 2019 08:22

Ron Obvious - 13 July 2019 06:18 AM

I enjoyed that.  Shame, though, that Ricky seems to have fallen for the “Political Correctness is just civility” canard. I’ll stick with George Carlin, who said “Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.”

I also enjoyed it.  I don’t think Mr. Gervais fell into any canard – it’s just that different things are meant by ‘political correctness’, especially when considering word/term use in different countries, which he also mentioned.

I really enjoy Ricky Gervais’ humour – he doesn’t set out to offend, but will not be controlled by social media as to what he says.  And his intelligence and emphasis on actually being funny, IMO humour being such an effective way of highlighting the perverse.  He might not be as edgy as George Carlin, but different strokes for different folks, eh?