The Unknown Poster

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

16 July 2019 05:59

I have an idea that I’d be open to facilitating if patrons are willing to participate.

I am noticing more and more that responses are reflecting our feelings about the posters rather than the messages being conveyed.  The problem of separating the poster from the post.  The heights to which this has reached makes me wonder how much weight we are placing in the perceived reputations of our veteran members over the posts submitted by newbies.  Are we relying on our memory of past posts more than the words we are reading in the present?  Are we pouncing on strangers while giving regulars a free ride?  Are we holding grudges unnecessarily or failing to address the topics adequately by making everything personal?  Kinda seems like it from what I’ve observed.  I’d like to conduct an experiment to test my suspicions. 

Here is my proposal:

If you find yourself holding back and resisting starting or responding to a thread, and would post anonymously if you could, please send it to me privately and I will post it here in an unmarked quote box.  This is mainly for patrons who are not posting in order to avoid the unceremonious off topic blowback that ensues as a result of misperception.  The avatars and monikers are often unwitting obstructionists standing in the way of conversation.  The goal is to focus on the dialogues instead of the personas.  Loosely reminiscent of The Unknown Comic from The Gong Show.  It may inspire honesty.  It may allow members to voice an opinion they’d otherwise keep inside.  It may invite more members to join in the shenanigans.  It may totally backfire.

I also, optimistically, suspect that raising the issue itself may be enough to render the idea unnecessary.

[ Edited: 17 July 2019 15:31 by LadyJane]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9564
Joined  20-10-2006

17 July 2019 14:47

How about making this proposal a Sticky, if it can be done?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

17 July 2019 15:36

Thanks for the suggestion.  This is a place for members in good standing.  I want to ensure all patrons that at no time will I post anything submitted by the Jar Monkey.  That falls outside of any previously made arrangements as a completely separate experiment.  I’m hoping this one will be far less horrifying.  Responses to insults are fine.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

18 July 2019 11:33

LadyJane - 17 July 2019 03:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  This is a place for members in good standing.  I want to ensure all patrons that at no time will I post anything submitted by the Jar Monkey.  That falls outside of any previously made arrangements as a completely separate experiment.  I’m hoping this one will be far less horrifying.  Responses to insults are fine.

Thank you
Concerning the difference between BM and a monkey: some observers hold there isn’t any. But this wrongs the monkey.
Borrowed from Twain but I don’t think he’ll mind.
Cheers!

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  31-10-2015

18 July 2019 12:56

LadyJane - 16 July 2019 05:59 AM

. . .

Here is my proposal:

If you find yourself holding back and resisting starting or responding to a thread, and would post anonymously if you could, please send it to me privately and I will post it here in an unmarked quote box. . . .

I’ll tell you about whatever occurs to me if you’ll agree to rephrase it into a poem.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

18 July 2019 14:36

nonverbal - 18 July 2019 12:56 PM

I’ll tell you about whatever occurs to me if you’ll agree to rephrase it into a poem.

You know that I’d be happy to but then they’d know it’s me not you.