1 2 3 >  Last ›

College students unclear about Free Speech - FIRE

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7659
Joined  22-02-2014

27 July 2019 08:12

According the to survey of 2225 U.S. college students linked to below:

- 96% think it’s important to have their rights and liberties (e.g. free speech) protected on campus.
- But 57% think that “offensive” or “intolerant” views should be restricted.

Apparently, many students are unclear on the concept of free speech.

free speech survey

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6760
Joined  08-12-2006

27 July 2019 08:23

icehorse - 27 July 2019 08:12 AM

- 96% think it’s important to have their rights and liberties (e.g. free speech) protected on campus.

free speech survey

I think the view that “offensive” or “intolerant” views should be restricted is itself offensive and intolerant, and should therefore be restricted.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

27 July 2019 08:26

Antisocialdarwinist - 27 July 2019 08:23 AM

free speech survey

I think the view that “offensive” or “intolerant” views should be restricted is itself offensive and intolerant, and should therefore be restricted.

Well I think your view should be restricted.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17627
Joined  15-02-2008

27 July 2019 09:34

Typical of the social justice crowd, they use equality like religion uses tolerance.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8635
Joined  20-02-2006

27 July 2019 12:24

icehorse - 27 July 2019 08:26 AM
Antisocialdarwinist - 27 July 2019 08:23 AM

free speech survey

Well I think your view should be restricted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Control_Act_of_1954  Enemies of the people?

Would Trump like to silence The Washington Post, The New York Times, CNN, The New Yorker, etc.?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_North_Korea

“The media of North Korea is amongst the most strictly controlled in the world. The constitution nominally provides for freedom of speech and the press. However, the government prohibits the exercise of these rights in practice, unless it is in praise of the country and its government and leader.”

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9609
Joined  20-10-2006

27 July 2019 17:08

GAD - 27 July 2019 09:34 AM

Typical of the social justice crowd, they use equality like religion uses tolerance.

Just like conservatives like to use “law and order” when they are in control to justify their bullshit, but switch to being victims of a nanny state when they are out of power.

Getting back to the OP, how is intolerance tolerated?  Freedom of speech is a widely misunderstood concept, but in general rights may be understood with, “Your rights end where mine begin.”

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  706
Joined  20-07-2017

28 July 2019 05:58

Here are what I believe to be the questions relevant to the OP:

Q19 Colleges and universities should be able to restrict student expression of political views that are hurtful or offensive to certain students.
Strongly agree Agree
Disagree Strongly disagree

Q30It is important that my civil liberties are protected.
Strongly agree Agree

I’m Q30 is the one that got a 96% “agree” rate, but I’m pretty sure Q19 is the one that relates to the 57% agree rate.

I also grabbed
Q18 Students should have the right to free speech on campus, even if what they are saying offends others.
Strongly agree Agree

Q18 responses
“Three-quarters of students (75 percent) think students should have the right to free speech on campus, even if what is being said offends others. Despite this, we also find that:” (ph. 7)

[ Edited: 28 July 2019 07:01 by mapadofu]

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

28 July 2019 07:00

I figure that the way that an individual responds to these kinds of questions mainly depends on what scenarios they envision when considering “offensive or hurtful speech” and what kind of restrictions that they imagine would be put in place.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

28 July 2019 08:29

mapadofu - 28 July 2019 07:00 AM

I figure that the way that an individual responds to these kinds of questions mainly depends on what scenarios they envision when considering “offensive or hurtful speech” and what kind of restrictions that they imagine would be put in place.

Hitchen’s asked: “Who is smart enough to tell YOU what YOU cannot hear?”  He proceeds to explain that he’s never met anyone smart enough to give that power to, and I agree.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

28 July 2019 09:01

What comes to mind to you when thinking about hurtful or offensive speech? 

What is the full range of behaviors that fall into that category?

Does a university have a justified basis to restrict any of the activities you thought of when considering the full range of potential speech acts?

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

28 July 2019 09:11

The standard question is: “Is this speech likely to incite IMMINENT violence?”

I’d say that if it’s not, it’s protected, no matter how vile.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

28 July 2019 09:13

But that is not what they asked.

Should that, only restrict imminent threat speech, be the policy everywhere? 

Are there kinds of speech that fall short of this threshold but that reduce a university’s ability to fulfill its mission?

[ Edited: 28 July 2019 09:15 by mapadofu]

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

28 July 2019 09:17

mapadofu - 28 July 2019 09:13 AM

But that is not what they asked.

Should that, only restrict imminent threat speech, be the policy everywhere?

To me that should be the default on campuses, as it is the default “in real life”. This is not to say that repugnant speech should not be criticized, it should. It’s just that - for many reasons - it should not be stifled.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

28 July 2019 09:23

Imagine you are a professor.  There is a student in one of your classes who repeatedly and disruptively rants about his/her favorite divisive political topic.  What recourse, if any, should the university have to address that situation?  Just criticism?

What were the range of speech acts you imagined in response to my earlier post?

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

28 July 2019 09:32

mapadofu - 28 July 2019 09:23 AM

Imagine you are a professor.  There is a student in one of your classes who repeatedly and disruptively rants about his/her favorite divisive political topic.  What recourse, if any, should the university have to address that situation?  Just criticism?

What were the range of speech acts you imagined in response to my earlier post?

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to disrupt other people’s speech. Freedom of speech does not guarantee a platform, although I think “the commons” is implied. IMO, the best professors would plan for controlled Q and A sessions. Offensive speech should be allowed as should criticisms. But in the lecture hall, only the professor’s speech is guaranteed, no student would be guaranteed speaking time in during class.

Recently the “heckler’s veto” has been cropping up on many campuses when unpopular speakers try to speak. Such disruption is not consistent with free speech.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

28 July 2019 09:40

So then do universities, and other private institutions, do have a justification for restricting some kinds of speech acts that fall short of the imminent threat threshold?

1 2 3 >  Last ›