Is the Christian God fickle?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8808
Joined  20-02-2006

05 August 2019 11:34

Sometimes the Christian God answers Benny Hinn’s prayers and directs Hinn’s supporters to buy him a new Bentley, or send him money for a new private jet.  ( Other times he ignores the prayers of a mother whose child is dying of malnutrition.  Is the Christian God fickle? 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fickle

Definition of fickle
: marked by lack of steadfastness, constancy, or stability : given to erratic changeableness

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21909
Joined  11-03-2007

05 August 2019 13:14

In order for him to be fickle he must exist. I’m glad you finally agree that he exists - welcome to the fold.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  337
Joined  07-02-2017

05 August 2019 13:38

Well unsmoked…that’s unfortunate. Hopefully you haven’t thrown away your Bible. And don’t forget to go out and purchase a gun if you don’t already own one, preferably an assault weapon.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

06 August 2019 12:28

EN - 05 August 2019 01:14 PM

In order for him to be fickle he must exist. I’m glad you finally agree that he exists - welcome to the fold.

This reminds me of the time I went to New York to meet some exchange students coming in by boat.  While waiting, walking along the sidewalk looking up at the skyscrapers, (I had never seen skyscrapers except in King Kong) I passed a banner at Madison Square Garden - some major event was free, so I walked in.  Ushers quickly guided me to a seat.  Far away on a stage a man was shouting passionately.  “Come forward and give yourself to Jesus!!”  People were getting up and moving toward the stage.  I got the picture and decided to get back out to daylight.  The ushers were blocking the aisle.  “Wrong way,” they said, pointing toward the stage.  “I’m leaving,” I explained.  They continued to block the aisle, pointing toward the stage.  I actually had to push past them to get out.  I was like a fly that had fallen into a pitcher plant.  Okay.  This is easy.  It’s just a jug.  All I have to do is crawl up the side and fly away.

Now, here, it has happened again!

Is the Christian God capricious? 

Synonyms & Antonyms for capricious

Synonyms

changeable, changeful, fickle, flickery, fluctuating, fluid, inconsistent, inconstant, mercurial, mutable, skittish, temperamental, uncertain, unpredictable, unsettled, unstable, unsteady, variable, volatile

Antonyms

certain, changeless, constant, immutable, invariable, predictable, settled, stable, stationary, steady, unchangeable, unchanging, unvarying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcher_plant

Image Attachments

134_3471.JPG

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21909
Joined  11-03-2007

06 August 2019 16:51

In order for him to be capricious, he must exist.  You have now proclaimed your faith twice. Surely you are on the path to salvation.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3864
Joined  20-11-2013

06 August 2019 19:47

Is the Christian God fickle?

To which christian god do you refer?

Balfizar1

Balfizar1
Total Posts:  26
Joined  11-07-2019

07 August 2019 06:11

“Man”  made God in his image so, definitely Yes! amongst other human foibles. Only existing in the minds of the superstitious.
Just like Zeus, Apollo etc.

[ Edited: 07 August 2019 06:17 by Balfizar1]

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5216
Joined  28-05-2009

07 August 2019 07:18

EN - 06 August 2019 04:51 PM

In order for him to be capricious, he must exist.  You have now proclaimed your faith twice. Surely you are on the path to salvation.

Seriously though, what would better? For the universe to be ruled by a malignant bully who endorses the agenda of neoconservatives while ignoring the plight of millions of children with communicable diseases OR for there to be no god at all? At least if there were no god we could console ourselves with the knowledge that a great deal of human misery is no ones fault. If there is a god we seem to have a bottomless moral paradox. Our basic intuitions of kindness and fairness seem to be, at best arbitrary and at worst a contradiction of gods true design.

Since it seems to be dealers choice I’ll take no god. The other proposition is too depressing.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1886
Joined  31-10-2015

07 August 2019 07:31

Let’s be blunt here—God’s a giant Asshole.

I wonder if I’ll make it into a Mario rant.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

07 August 2019 10:51

Brick Bungalow - 07 August 2019 07:18 AM
EN - 06 August 2019 04:51 PM

Seriously though, what would better? For the universe to be ruled by a malignant bully who endorses the agenda of neoconservatives while ignoring the plight of millions of children with communicable diseases OR for there to be no god at all? At least if there were no god we could console ourselves with the knowledge that a great deal of human misery is no ones fault. If there is a god we seem to have a bottomless moral paradox. Our basic intuitions of kindness and fairness seem to be, at best arbitrary and at worst a contradiction of gods true design.

Since it seems to be dealers choice I’ll take no god. The other proposition is too depressing.

Truth in Advertising  (a Christian virtue?)

If you have faith in Jesus, when you ask God for help, like if you are starving and your children are starving, then you might get help and you might not.

We notice that Santa is more likely to fulfill the wishes of rich little kids than poor kids, and God is more likely to answer the materialistic prayers of rich people.  That is why when a millionaire like the Rev. Joel Osteen prays for a new country estate God is likely to give it to him whereas if a starving Christian mother in Somalia prays for food for her child she probably will watch the baby die in her arms.  Ah . . .  but God works in mysterious ways.

Yesterday I mentioned wandering into a Billy Graham crusade at Madison Square Garden.  Years later, in 1969, this latter-day apostle of Jesus suggested to Nixon that he order the bombing of the dikes in North Vietnam.  https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/09/27/the-preacher-and-vietnam-when-billy-graham-urged-nixon-to-kill-one-million-people/