‹ First  < 2 3 4

Your Boy, Jesus Christ

Garret

Garret
Total Posts:  491
Joined  16-01-2019

12 August 2019 00:08

Jb8989 - 11 August 2019 08:29 PM

Could paul have lied about the crusifixion?

Could he have?  Sure.
That isn’t where I would hang my hat though.

Rather I’d point at Paul came along 10-20 years after Jesus death.  Galatians is probably the first written thing in the New Testament and would be roughly 20 years after Jesus.  Which means that the Gospel of Mark came 15-20 years after Paul’s influence on the religion.

It is in a lot of ways Paul’s religion.  The combination of central tenets that really sits at the core of most Christian teaching are all modifications of Paul’s interpretation of the new religion. We could argue that perhaps he was influenced by someone else and writing their interpretation, but since we don’t have any evidence of who that would be, I think we’re safe in assigning it to Paul.

I think it’s okay to assume the sincerity of Paul.  I don’t think that means that the religion is true, just that he was sincere in his belief.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3411
Joined  21-10-2016

12 August 2019 06:25

Jb8989 - 11 August 2019 08:29 PM

Could paul have lied about the crusifixion?

I think it unlikely that the crucifixion was invented as it is an ignoble end for their savior.  If the first writings were only 15-20 or so years later, Paul (and others?) wouldn’t be able to rewrite his end because it would be common oral knowledge, but they could reframe it – as Garret said (post #37), making it into an intentional sacrifice for humanity.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5137
Joined  28-05-2009

23 August 2019 15:10

Jb8989 - 07 August 2019 10:48 AM

It’s probably the case that he was knowingly deceiving people, right? I don’t think that there is a good case for him being 100% delusional schizophrenic. I think that the more plausible explanation is that he was a pathological liar in search of cult status. Then do you guys think that his powers of persuasion were ahead of their time - as in he was a gifted deceiver? Or was everyone just freaking retarded back then? I’m assuming it was a bit of both, but Jesus the Sociopath is my favorite christ figure. Maybe it’s because the irony when meeting an ardent Christian is worth its weight in gold.

I don’t think so. I think people who have that degree of charismatic influence generally believe their own brand. And I doubt that credulity was any greater then than it is now. I think human weakness is pretty consistent. Even if we take the bible for granted as historical record we can notice that there were skeptics and cynics and unbelievers in all times and all places. And that the shell game of demonizing healthy critique hasn’t fundamentally changed either. Now, as to whether Jesus Christ was authentic and consistent… probably not. No more than any other self appointed prophet. The writings we have paint him in a flattering light but they have to. Just as the propaganda of any televangelist working today.

‹ First  < 2 3 4