‹ First  < 3 4 5

Voting

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3401
Joined  21-10-2016

25 August 2019 14:37

As BB said, “Changing a system as fundamentally corrupt as this one will involve breaking a lot of eggs”, and as CC said, “Corporations, billionaire oligarchs, lobbyists, and the politicians that have been bought and paid for by them, will fight like demons to prevent change”.  So, the first step could be to elect a candidate who hasn’t been bought and paid for, and there seem to be a few available.

Obviously what is needed is legislation/regulations and strict overseeing that these are enforced, a federal body, an ‘Elections America’.  Regulations that strictly control the amount and type of campaign contributions/spending and oversees all aspects of elections.

[ Edited: 25 August 2019 14:41 by Jan_CAN]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9599
Joined  20-10-2006

25 August 2019 14:57

Garret - 25 August 2019 01:47 PM

The Republicans are truly a minority in the country, and an ideological minority can’t represent the views of the majority.  It’s impossible by definition.  One interesting thing though is that the Republican coalition is largely made up of people who are resistant to change.  Saying no to change is an easy way to appease their coalition and remain fairly consistent.

The Democratic coalition contains a lot of variety though, and sometimes appealing to one group within the coalition either is contradictory to the goals of another group, or can feel like other groups are being ignored.  Democratic leadership then defaults to watered down compromises that do very little to help anyone, or end up as “centrist-business-friendly” versions.

Well put.  When I was in sales, the most difficult part of the job was getting a “yes” to a change, unless someone specifically wanted or needed or was forced into a change. 

The easiest answer for anyone to give to just about anything is “no.”

We mostly do not like change because of the uncertainty of the possible benefits, the risk of being on the losing end, and the amount of extra work we must do to adapt.  Also, the easiest way for me to do something is the way I did it yesterday, so laziness is a factor.

With the Republicans being the Party Of No, and the Democrats mostly being the Party Of Yes, the choice for many people is clear and easy.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17605
Joined  15-02-2008

25 August 2019 15:39

Cheshire Cat - 25 August 2019 01:44 PM
GAD - 25 August 2019 01:28 PM

And yet the “PEOPLE” voted for Trump. If the criteria of who the “PEOPLE” vote for is who manipulates them the most then Trump simply beat the the Dems.

Not so fast.

A foreign nation, Russia, for the first time ever, used illegal means to pick Trump as our president. That’s a huge difference.

And Cambridge Analytica goes far beyond using the usual run-of-mill advertising bombardment we have become used to; it takes us into a shadowy underworld of psychological manipulation and spy-like deceit.

But, hey, I do get your point.

But Trump might win again because the Dems are all extremist leftest nuts, no trickery there. The only one who might have a chance is Biden, but he is a zombie extra off The Walking Dead and how can a zombie beat a guy who can survive the zombie apocalypse because he has no brain.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9599
Joined  20-10-2006

25 August 2019 18:10

GAD - 25 August 2019 03:39 PM

But Trump might win again because the Dems are all extremist leftest nuts, no trickery there. The only one who might have a chance is Biden, but he is a zombie extra off The Walking Dead and how can a zombie beat a guy who can survive the zombie apocalypse because he has no brain.

And Trump isn’t an extremist nut?

According to the Republicans and Fox News, anyone who disagrees with their opinion is an extremist leftist nut.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

25 August 2019 18:32

Skipshot - 25 August 2019 06:10 PM

According to the Republicans and Fox News, anyone who disagrees with their opinion is an extremist leftist nut.

Trump is a despicable human being, and while the Dems running against him may be better human beings their agendas are so extreme that even me, someone who despises Trump, is nauseated by the thought of supporting any of them.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7107
Joined  15-02-2007

26 August 2019 08:06

GAD - 25 August 2019 06:32 PM
Skipshot - 25 August 2019 06:10 PM

Trump is a despicable human being, and while the Dems running against him may be better human beings their agendas are so extreme that even me, someone who despises Trump, is nauseated by the thought of supporting any of them.

And that is how elections are won and lost.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21577
Joined  11-03-2007

26 August 2019 08:10

Take some Alka-Seltzer before you vote Dem.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

26 August 2019 08:22

EN - 26 August 2019 08:10 AM

I think I’ll need something stronger, like heroin.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21577
Joined  11-03-2007

26 August 2019 09:07

GAD - 26 August 2019 08:22 AM

Whatever it takes.  Trump’s gotta go.  I hope it’s Biden on the other side - I don’t think he’s quite dead yet.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2756
Joined  19-01-2015

26 August 2019 10:51

Take legal weed, available thanks to the Dems.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

26 August 2019 10:59

Twissel - 26 August 2019 10:51 AM

Take legal weed, available thanks to the Dems.

Actually thanks to the voters, it’s still illegal at the fed level where no Dem lead government has ever bothered to change it. And I don’t like pot.

‹ First  < 3 4 5