Pet Peeves and Deal Breakers

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3367
Joined  26-03-2013

27 August 2019 08:42

We all have different views and that can be annoying.  I don’t mind being annoyed.  People are annoying.  It usually amounts to a minor irritation that passes quickly only to be replaced by another irritating annoyance, which is fine.  It’s all part of the learning process as we jockey for positions in a place we all must share.  Where courtesy is required and patience is paramount.  When these things are lacking it becomes a pet peeve of mine.  Values, of course, may vary. 

Like redundant and unnecessarily repetitious statements seemingly on replay as though we didn’t hear it somewhere within the first hundred times it played.  Self indulgent and self aggrandizing anecdotes, that go for miles, a nuisance fer sure but nothing to get hung about.  A bit worse are the assumptions that are made to further an agenda or a manipulator’s need to satisfy a feeling they belong.  That tends to fill the room and gets a tad sketchy when it agitates the bullshit metre.  And I’d rather people show each other more respect, in this capacity, by not placing each other in that position.  The position of calling bullshit on fellow patrons, that is.  We are on an honour system here.  Accept the different views and listen with more intensity than the posting would suggest.  Any frustration is temporary but losing someone’s trust may mean it’s gone forever.

I make easy distinctions.  There’s a host of rankle worthy fodder between minor pet peeves to frustrating parrots to in-the-way-fuck-offs I needn’t know at all.  The Trump supporter.  Religious nutters.  Peddlers of racism and misogyny.  And liars, most of all.  When deception is standard practice the parrots won’t stand out.  The trolls will go unnoticed and we’ll be left with only doubt.  There’s nowhere to go once honesty goes out the window.  And lying is a deal breaker.

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  480
Joined  03-08-2014

29 August 2019 19:52

LadyJane - 27 August 2019 08:42 AM

We all have different views and that can be annoying.  I don’t mind being annoyed.  People are annoying.  It usually amounts to a minor irritation that passes quickly only to be replaced by another irritating annoyance, which is fine.  It’s all part of the learning process as we jockey for positions in a place we all must share.  Where courtesy is required and patience is paramount.  When these things are lacking it becomes a pet peeve of mine.  Values, of course, may vary. 

Like redundant and unnecessarily repetitious statements seemingly on replay as though we didn’t hear it somewhere within the first hundred times it played.  Self indulgent and self aggrandizing anecdotes, that go for miles, a nuisance fer sure but nothing to get hung about.  A bit worse are the assumptions that are made to further an agenda or a manipulator’s need to satisfy a feeling they belong.  That tends to fill the room and gets a tad sketchy when it agitates the bullshit metre.  And I’d rather people show each other more respect, in this capacity, by not placing each other in that position.  The position of calling bullshit on fellow patrons, that is.  We are on an honour system here.  Accept the different views and listen with more intensity than the posting would suggest.  Any frustration is temporary but losing someone’s trust may mean it’s gone forever.

I make easy distinctions.  There’s a host of rankle worthy fodder between minor pet peeves to frustrating parrots to in-the-way-fuck-offs I needn’t know at all.  The Trump supporter.  Religious nutters.  Peddlers of racism and misogyny.  And liars, most of all.  When deception is standard practice the parrots won’t stand out.  The trolls will go unnoticed and we’ll be left with only doubt.  There’s nowhere to go once honesty goes out the window.  And lying is a deal breaker.

I plead guilty, sort of.  Except not to deception or dishonesty.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3367
Joined  26-03-2013

30 August 2019 05:27

Another pet peeve of mine is animals in people clothes.  Pretty sure they don’t like it.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

30 August 2019 08:17

LadyJane - 30 August 2019 05:27 AM

Another pet peeve of mine is animals in people clothes.  Pretty sure they don’t like it.

Haha ... yeah, pretty sure they don’t like it.

And yes, lying is a deal breaker.  Lying and bullshit.

In addition to what’s said in the OP, I’d add snobbery to my pet peeve list.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5200
Joined  28-05-2009

30 August 2019 12:47

For sure. I think I have a lot of latitude for different ideologies and views but I despise laziness. I’m frustrated when someone posts a thoughtful and considered topic only to be riposted with boilerplate rhetoric and pasted partisan cliches. I really appreciate the members of this forum who practice real time conversational intelligence and contribute in a fashion that shows respect for the time of other people. I love it when someone disagrees in a way that conveys reading comprehension and not merely compulsive contrariness. You know who you are. Please call me out when I fail in this regard.

People who have a strong grasp of the facts and a coherent argument will use them. With little exception. Folks employing other tactics are, I think betraying a weak hand. You also know who you are.