How did Sam Harris explain a magic trick?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8637
Joined  20-02-2006

27 August 2019 11:09

Last night on a TV magic program (Penn & Teller - FOOL US) a magician/contestant performed this trick:  Using, or pretending to use a kind of meditation, he had a woman from the audience think of any color, then think of any animal, then think of something else . . . she thought of a train. I can’t remember the details, but let’s say she randomly thought of red, a pig, and a train.  Then the magician uncovered a large illustration that had been on the stage beside them.  It pictured a pig riding on a red train.

Penn and Teller were not fooled.  Not giving away the secret, they told the magician that Sam Harris had discussed this trick in his meditation book.  The magician/mentalist then admitted that they knew how he had done it.  Anyone here know what Sam was writing about in this case?

Image Attachments

132_3219.JPG

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1807
Joined  31-10-2015

27 August 2019 11:20

I watched that show too, unsmoked, and wondered about the strangely repeated “Sam Harris” mentions from Penn, who seemed to be attempting to hypnotize America by repeating Harris’s name as though he were plugging a product. I certainly hope he succeeded at least to some degree.

Did you notice how the magician had flipped on the heat switch inside the cap of the teapot just before introducing it to the volunteer on stage? It escaped the notice of Penn and perhaps his reticent friend, as well.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6362
Joined  22-02-2005

27 August 2019 11:47

Maybe this accounts for the visitor numbers. But why this forum? The main site is not sluggish today.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

27 August 2019 11:51

nonverbal - 27 August 2019 11:20 AM

I watched that show too, unsmoked, and wondered about the strangely repeated “Sam Harris” mentions from Penn, who seemed to be attempting to hypnotize America by repeating Harris’s name as though he were plugging a product. I certainly hope he succeeded at least to some degree.

Did you notice how the magician had flipped on the heat switch inside the cap of the teapot just before introducing it to the volunteer on stage? It escaped the notice of Penn and perhaps his reticent friend, as well.

It did seem like Penn was plugging Sam’s book.  There must have been a distraction or I tuned in late - I missed the teapot.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1807
Joined  31-10-2015

27 August 2019 12:14

Nhoj Morley - 27 August 2019 11:47 AM

Maybe this accounts for the visitor numbers. But why this forum? The main site is not sluggish today.

Nhoj, the sluggishness here today seems unrelated to that fairly obscure show. Actually, I can’t load anything quickly today, so I’m just going to assume some kind of global problem. Sometimes, it’s best to assume the worst. Tomorrow, I’ll do my best not to use the f-word with Comcast reps on the phone.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  199
Joined  14-09-2017

27 August 2019 20:13

unsmoked - 27 August 2019 11:09 AM

Last night on a TV magic program (Penn & Teller - FOOL US) a magician/contestant performed this trick:  Using, or pretending to use a kind of meditation, he had a woman from the audience think of any color, then think of any animal, then think of something else . . . she thought of a train. I can’t remember the details, but let’s say she randomly thought of red, a pig, and a train.  Then the magician uncovered a large illustration that had been on the stage beside them.  It pictured a pig riding on a red train.

Penn and Teller were not fooled.  Not giving away the secret, they told the magician that Sam Harris had discussed this trick in his meditation book.  The magician/mentalist then admitted that they knew how he had done it.  Anyone here know what Sam was writing about in this case?

Unsmoked- who is the pic of in your attachment?

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1316
Joined  01-11-2014

02 September 2019 12:36

Well, Unsmoked, I got out my copy of “Waking Up” and looked for any mention of Penn & Teller or magic tricks. I first looked in the index, then thumbed through the chapters which seemed like they would be relevant.

I came up empty.

I can tell you how the magic trick was done, however. The person in the audience was a “plant”; someone in cahoots with the magician. Magicians, (and televangelists) do this kind of thing all the time. Little wonder Penn & Teller were unimpressed.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3808
Joined  20-11-2013

02 September 2019 17:45

The reference Penn was making was not to the book, but to the name “Harris”.  The reference was to Paul Harris.

Nollat

Nollat
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-09-2019

02 September 2019 20:59

Cheshire Cat - 02 September 2019 12:36 PM

Well, Unsmoked, I got out my copy of “Waking Up” and looked for any mention of Penn & Teller or magic tricks. I first looked in the index, then thumbed through the chapters which seemed like they would be relevant.

I came up empty.

I can tell you how the magic trick was done, however. The person in the audience was a “plant”; someone in cahoots with the magician. Magicians, (and televangelists) do this kind of thing all the time. Little wonder Penn & Teller were unimpressed.

Why comment on something you know very little about? It’s annoying when someone thinks they’re so smart they have everything figured out when it couldn’t be further from reality. Penn and Teller do not allow “plants” and every trick has a real method. Just because you cannot figure it out does not mean they cheated on some way.

[ Edited: 02 September 2019 21:02 by Nollat]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

03 September 2019 11:57

bbearren - 02 September 2019 05:45 PM

The reference Penn was making was not to the book, but to the name “Harris”.  The reference was to Paul Harris.

Clever.  Like me, most people wouldn’t pick up on the reference to Paul Harris.  At the same time, since Penn is an atheist that would explain why he didn’t refer to ‘Ed Harris’ or another famous Harris as an oblique way of letting the magician know he and Teller knew about this trick.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utxlrbLSd_w

oblique  -  adjective
If you describe a statement as oblique, you mean that is not expressed directly or openly, making it difficult to understand.

[ Edited: 03 September 2019 12:02 by unsmoked]