Seeing the one who is seeing

Cindercharlie

Cindercharlie
Total Posts:  1
Joined  12-09-2019

12 September 2019 16:23

I’ve listened to the Waking Up meditations for some time. I struggle with “seeing the one who is seeing”. Any thoughts?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6611
Joined  22-02-2005

17 September 2019 22:23

Greeting Mr. Charlie.

There are few on the forum who follow the app. I guess yer not allowed to use a mirror. It might be a pitch to convince you of the illusion of self.

SittingBullShit

SittingBullShit
Total Posts:  12
Joined  11-10-2010

17 October 2019 05:46

Hi cindercharlie,

It’s been a month since you posted. Any progress on “seeing the one who is seeing”?

Best,
Steve

Gandalf

Gandalf
Total Posts:  6
Joined  21-02-2019

20 June 2020 05:29

I had a lot of trouble with this. Seriously took me 6 months of trying almost every day to finally be confident that I had glimpses of the insight. Today, I took a very light dose of LSD and meditated. I didn’t just glimpse this nature, I could hold on to it. It was my first experience with LSD.

jro

jro
Total Posts:  108
Joined  27-10-2015

28 June 2020 07:28

Gandalf - 20 June 2020 05:29 AM

I had a lot of trouble with this. Seriously took me 6 months of trying almost every day to finally be confident that I had glimpses of the insight. Today, I took a very light dose of LSD and meditated. I didn’t just glimpse this nature, I could hold on to it. It was my first experience with LSD.

Yeah, I suspect that it works much better with psychodelical drugs. In the waking up app, Sam constantly instructs to “simply turn attention upon itself”. But even though this is supposedly simple, I have absolututely no idea what I am supposed to to. I wonder if there can be any more specific instructions on what to actually do or whether it just doesn’t work without psychodelic experience.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16131
Joined  17-12-2006

28 June 2020 08:55

Who is the one who is seeing the one who is seeing?

Who is the one who is seeing the one who is seeing the one who is seeing?

Need I say more?

There are three stages involved in “Being There.”

1. Experiencing a state
2. Learning how to return to that state
3. Learning how to remain in that state.

jro

jro
Joined  27-10-2015

29 June 2020 13:20

burt - 28 June 2020 08:55 AM

Need I say more?

Yes, because the question is: What is the method? How do I do this supposedly “simple” thing? Each time Sam says “just turn attention upon itself” or “simply look for the one who is looking” I just have no idea what I am supposed to do. So I fail at it every single time.

Since this is obviously not a physical “looking” or “turning”, it is something that has to be imagined, and for me, imagination mostly just doesn’t work, be it with Metta meditation, be it with all kinds of other methods where you are asked to imagine something and work with an inner image.

I wonder if, without psychodelics I simply have no chance of getting there, else my brain just isn’t capable of whatever that magic trick is.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

29 June 2020 19:36

jro - 29 June 2020 01:20 PM

Need I say more?

Yes, because the question is: What is the method? How do I do this supposedly “simple” thing? Each time Sam says “just turn attention upon itself” or “simply look for the one who is looking” I just have no idea what I am supposed to do. So I fail at it every single time.

Since this is obviously not a physical “looking” or “turning”, it is something that has to be imagined, and for me, imagination mostly just doesn’t work, be it with Metta meditation, be it with all kinds of other methods where you are asked to imagine something and work with an inner image.

I wonder if, without psychodelics I simply have no chance of getting there, else my brain just isn’t capable of whatever that magic trick is.

Tough to learn to quite the mind so that this is possible. Can take years if all one does is this sort of meditation. There are lots of other methods that help though.

jro

jro
Joined  27-10-2015

30 June 2020 00:49

burt - 29 June 2020 07:36 PM

Need I say more?

Tough to learn to quite the mind so that this is possible. Can take years if all one does is this sort of meditation. There are lots of other methods that help though.

I have a daily practice for 12 years now. I know that it is tough.  My question was concerning the method though. How do I “turn attention upon itself? Can you actually do it or does it just happen at a certain stage?

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

30 June 2020 09:52

jro - 30 June 2020 12:49 AM
burt - 29 June 2020 07:36 PM

Need I say more?

I have a daily practice for 12 years now. I know that it is tough.  My question was concerning the method though. How do I “turn attention upon itself? Can you actually do it or does it just happen at a certain stage?

The ancient skeptic philosophers claimed that complete self-knowledge was impossible because the self that knew would always be beyond the self that was known. To know something requires separation from it so that it can be known so no matter how many times one stepped back from their self in order to know it, the self that had “stepped back” remained unknown. I don’t know if you’re familiar with the Achilles and the Tortoise paradox, but that’s what their argument was based on. That goes back to around 450BC from Zeno of Elea. He claimed that if Achilles and a tortoise were to have a race, and the tortoise was given a head start, then Achilles could never catch up because by the time he reached the point where the tortoise had started, the tortoise would have moved ahead to a further point. And by the time Achilles reached that further point, the tortoise would again have moved ahead. And so on. It sounds crazy, we know that Achilles wins, but philosophers have argued ever since about this and the issues is still unsettled for some. One resolution was that with each step Achilles becomes more tenuous so that at the point where he would have caught the tortoise he has also vanished. Sorry for being longwinded, “turning attention on itself” is like Achilles reaching a point where the tortoise has just been, at least so long as there is anyone who is attempting to attend. You must have had at least brief flashes of “emptiness” so as far as method goes, it seems a question of learning how to reproduce those and then stabilize that state.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3623
Joined  26-03-2013

01 July 2020 07:23

I don’t follow the app but the question had me pondering while I was out cutting grass.  And it made me think of the F Stop on a camera.  The more time we spend controlling the settings the less focus we have on the things that continue to move.  And we have some expectation of what it is we wanna see but then get all hung up on the apparatus and it becomes the obstruction we’re looking to shed.  Instead of the thing that opens the lenses that lets the light in.  Like if you were to head out during a meteor shower and point the camera at the sky hoping to capture a shot of a shooting star you’d be taking a stab in the dark.  Setting the camera down leaves the sky wide open.  Suspending expectations mitigates disappointment and without the shudders in the way there’s nothing obstructing the view when the action starts.  And you can remain still enough to take it all in.