< 1 2 3

Seeing the one who is seeing

sclondon1972

sclondon1972
Total Posts:  1
Joined  07-03-2021

07 March 2021 11:32

Cindercharlie - 12 September 2019 04:23 PM

I’ve listened to the Waking Up meditations for some time. I struggle with “seeing the one who is seeing”. Any thoughts?

Hello,  yes I struggle with this also.  I think it’s because the language of instruction is in some way conceptual.  I’ve come to the conclusion that SH is trying to help the sitter to see that seeing is just seeing.  I’ve had some insight in the past where looking is more like feeling,  the object can be sensual instead of solid or the group of human names, concepts and functions that describe it.  It seemed to me that the cup was not it’s name or it’s use but a thing seen anew.  For me it was a definite a perceptual shift.  I remember that after 4 days of sitting and walking meditation that things began to take on a a sort of sacredness.  For me when I’m in a state of non-mindfulness the world contains all of the normal objects that just seem functional and kind of flat, there is a state beyond this where the world and it’s content takes on a magical hue.  I don’t know if this is exactly what Sam Harris is getting with the excercise but when I’ve experienced this, pre-conception fades away.  Perhaps then there is no one who sees and this is when open awareness is experienced?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9944
Joined  20-02-2006

08 March 2021 10:33

unsmoked - 20 July 2020 04:34 PM
Nhoj Morley - 17 September 2019 10:23 PM

Greeting Mr. Charlie.

There are few on the forum who follow the app. I guess yer not allowed to use a mirror. It might be a pitch to convince you of the illusion of self.

What if the universe or reality is just one thing?  (uni-verse, not duo-verse)  Can the eye see itself?

From a review of Alan Watts - The Book

“At the root of human conflict is our fundamental misunderstanding of who we are. The illusion that we are isolated beings, unconnected to the rest of the universe, has led us to view the “outside” world with hostility, and has fueled our misuse of technology and our violent and hostile subjugation of the natural world. To help us understand that the self is in fact the root and ground of the universe, Watts has crafted a revelatory primer on what it means to be human—and a mind-opening manual of initiation into the central mystery of existence.”

Vociferous Fuckweasel

Vociferous Fuckweasel
Total Posts:  59
Joined  21-06-2019

13 March 2021 15:56

There’s an illusory quality to our experience. The question is posed to reconsider the state of affairs we take for granted.
Darwinian algorithms don’t concern themselves with what’s actually going on, unless it interferes with the objectives of selfish genes.
Sam is channeling Morpheus, and you be Neo in the pod.

Ground

Ground
Total Posts:  90
Joined  16-07-2017

27 March 2021 01:55

I’ve listened to the Waking Up meditations for some time. I struggle with “seeing the one who is seeing”. Any thoughts?

Don’t be bothered. It’s just nonsense. The trouble begins when you get drawn into such nonsense.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

27 March 2021 10:33

Ground - 27 March 2021 01:55 AM

Don’t be bothered. It’s just nonsense. The trouble begins when you get drawn into such nonsense.

taciturn  -  adjective
(of a person) reserved or uncommunicative in speech; saying little.

eg.  On the Sam Harris Forum, Ground is known for his taciturn responses.

[ Edited: 27 March 2021 10:40 by unsmoked]

Ground

Ground
Total Posts:  90
Joined  16-07-2017

27 March 2021 14:43

unsmoked - 27 March 2021 10:33 AM

taciturn  -  adjective

Who cares?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

28 March 2021 14:21

Ground - 27 March 2021 02:43 PM
unsmoked - 27 March 2021 10:33 AM

taciturn  -  adjective

Who cares?

How about just Who?  Even more enigmatic.

enigmatic  adjective
difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious.

< 1 2 3