1 2 3 >  Last ›

Sleeping with an elephant

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

15 September 2019 09:01

“Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant.  No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.”
— Pierre Trudeau, in speech given in Washington DC, 1969

This is truer than ever, with the twitching and grunting becoming increasingly bothersome.

America’s ignorance and apathy towards us has long been a source of annoyance, amusement and humour.  Lots of humour.  Sure, it’s understandable that we know more about you than vice versa – you’re bigger (population-wise) and flashier and we’re inundated with your entertainment and media.

And we often quite enjoy feeling smug with our own sense of superiority.  Sorry about that.  But if you did pay a little more attention to Canada (and other countries), you might just learn some things that would work to your own benefit:  universal health care can be affordable; regulating pharmaceutical company profits prevents price gouging of necessities for life; strictly regulating and monitoring election contributions by individuals and disallowing those from corporations and special interest groups keeps the oligarchy in line; federal legalization of cannabis makes for a happier population, etc. etc. etc.

And every American with at least a high school education should be able to answer the following questions (no googling!) about their nearest neighbour and closest ally:

How many provinces and/or territories are there?  Name three.
Name five Canadian cities.
Which is the country’s capital city?
What is the title given to Canada’s top political position, and who currently holds that position?
What is the approximate population?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17735
Joined  15-02-2008

15 September 2019 12:55

Sorry but Canada hasn’t ever done anything that would make allocating brain cells to it have any return value. If you ever do anything interesting, innovative or provocative maybe the world will notice you. Until then just go back and stand quietly in your lines to get your free healthcare.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

15 September 2019 13:34

GAD - 15 September 2019 12:55 PM

Sorry but Canada hasn’t ever done anything that would make allocating brain cells to it have any return value. If you ever do anything interesting, innovative or provocative maybe the world will notice you. Until then just go back and stand quietly in your lines to get your free healthcare.

How would you know?
We’ve done plenty of interesting and important stuff, way too long to list, some of which you could learn from.  Hell, even Captain Kirk is ours.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

15 September 2019 13:40

Jan_CAN - 15 September 2019 01:34 PM

How would you know?
We’ve done plenty of interesting and important stuff, way too long to list, some of which you could learn from.  Hell, even Captain Kirk is ours.

Not ringing any bells. Maybe you could draw me a map so I can find it.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

15 September 2019 14:02

GAD - 15 September 2019 01:40 PM

How would you know?

Nah, you don’t need a map.  It’s that 10 million square-km landmass just north of you, no matter where you are.

And that’s another thing – the whole world’s gone metric except the U.S.A. – what’s up with that?

This thread wasn’t intended to compare accomplishments or brag about our own countries, but to encourage Americans to look outside of their country a little more often.

And I was a little curious how many of the educated people around here could get all five of what-should-be-easy questions correct.

no_profundia

no_profundia
Total Posts:  541
Joined  14-07-2016

15 September 2019 15:24

I will volunteer to be the first to shame myself by publicly displaying my ignorance smile

How many provinces and/or territories are there?  Name three. Nine provinces. Alberta, Quebec, British Columbia.
Name five Canadian cities. Victoria, Vancouver BC, Toronto, Montreal, Churchill.
Which is the country’s capital city? I plead the fifth to avoid embarrassing myself.
What is the title given to Canada’s top political position, and who currently holds that position? Prime Minister. Justin Trudeau.
What is the approximate population? I’m afraid I am going to have to invoke my right not to incriminate myself again on this one.

The temptation to cheat was overwhelming but I resisted. The only thing I looked up was: I made sure I was right about Churchill. I had to land there once because someone on my flight back from Amsterdam got rowdy so the plane turned around and dropped him off in Churchill. I thought it would be acceptable to include it because my guess before looking it up was correct.

Sorry for the rest Jan. I will do better.

P.S. Looks like I was off on the number of provinces but I wasn’t too far off. Can I get partial credit?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

15 September 2019 15:30

Jan_CAN - 15 September 2019 02:02 PM

How would you know?

Nah, you don’t need a map.  It’s that 10 million square-km landmass just north of you, no matter where you are.

And that’s another thing – the whole world’s gone metric except the U.S.A. – what’s up with that?

This thread wasn’t intended to compare accomplishments or brag about our own countries, but to encourage Americans to look outside of their country a little more often.

And I was a little curious how many of the educated people around here could get all five of what-should-be-easy questions correct.

I thought that land was set aside for after global warming and it became habitable, then it can be stripped mined to build our SUV’s and the rest turned into a parking lot.  As for metric, the US is so badass we can do what we want.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

15 September 2019 16:23

no_profundia - 15 September 2019 03:24 PM

I will volunteer to be the first to shame myself by publicly displaying my ignorance :)

How many provinces and/or territories are there?  Name three. Nine provinces. Alberta, Quebec, British Columbia.
Name five Canadian cities. Victoria, Vancouver BC, Toronto, Montreal, Churchill.
Which is the country’s capital city? I plead the fifth to avoid embarrassing myself.
What is the title given to Canada’s top political position, and who currently holds that position? Prime Minister. Justin Trudeau.
What is the approximate population? I’m afraid I am going to have to invoke my right not to incriminate myself again on this one.

The temptation to cheat was overwhelming but I resisted. The only thing I looked up was: I made sure I was right about Churchill. I had to land there once because someone on my flight back from Amsterdam got rowdy so the plane turned around and dropped him off in Churchill. I thought it would be acceptable to include it because my guess before looking it up was correct.

P.S. Looks like I was off on the number of provinces but I wasn’t too far off. Can I get partial credit?

Thanks for playing along, no_profundia.  ;-)

This is funny because I’da thought YOU would have done a little better, although you do get a passing grade (barely), with extra credit for honesty and humility (nope, no extra credit for ‘almost right’, sorry).

Marking scheme:  Q1 (a)-10, (b)-10;  Q2-20;  Q3-20;  Q4 (a)-10, (b)-10;  Q5-20

So, that adds up to 50% + 10% extra credit = your final grade 60%.

(Correct answers will be posted when all students have completed the exam.)

P.S.  Perhaps later I’ll post a supplemental test so you can bring up your grade.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

15 September 2019 16:31

GAD - 15 September 2019 03:30 PM

How would you know?

I thought that land was set aside for after global warming and it became habitable, then it can be stripped mined to build our SUV’s and the rest turned into a parking lot.  As for metric, the US is so badass we can do what we want.

Nope, just before the south becomes uninhabitable, we’re going to let in all the Mexicans and South Americans.  So, we’ll be full-up.  Then we’ll close the border and build a really high wall to keep out the undesirables, y’know those Americans who thought we were boring.

no_profundia

no_profundia
Total Posts:  541
Joined  14-07-2016

15 September 2019 16:48

Jan_CAN - 15 September 2019 04:23 PM
no_profundia - 15 September 2019 03:24 PM

I will volunteer to be the first to shame myself by publicly displaying my ignorance smile

Thanks for playing along, no_profundia.  wink

This is funny because I’da thought YOU would have done a little better, although you do get a passing grade (barely), with extra credit for honesty and humility (nope, no extra credit for ‘almost right’, sorry).

Marking scheme:  Q1 (a)-10, (b)-10;  Q2-20;  Q3-20;  Q4 (a)-10, (b)-10;  Q5-20

So, that adds up to 50% + 10% extra credit = your final grade 60%.

(Correct answers will be posted when all students have completed the exam.)

P.S.  Perhaps later I’ll post a supplemental test so you can bring up your grade.

Phew! Thank you for the extra credit Jan. I can’t afford to fail this class.

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  479
Joined  03-08-2014

15 September 2019 17:05

Jan_CAN - 15 September 2019 09:01 AM

“Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant.  No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.”
— Pierre Trudeau, in speech given in Washington DC, 1969

This is truer than ever, with the twitching and grunting becoming increasingly bothersome.

America’s ignorance and apathy towards us has long been a source of annoyance, amusement and humour.  Lots of humour.  Sure, it’s understandable that we know more about you than vice versa – you’re bigger (population-wise) and flashier and we’re inundated with your entertainment and media.

And we often quite enjoy feeling smug with our own sense of superiority.  Sorry about that.  But if you did pay a little more attention to Canada (and other countries), you might just learn some things that would work to your own benefit:  universal health care can be affordable; regulating pharmaceutical company profits prevents price gouging of necessities for life; strictly regulating and monitoring election contributions by individuals and disallowing those from corporations and special interest groups keeps the oligarchy in line; federal legalization of cannabis makes for a happier population, etc. etc. etc.

And every American with at least a high school education should be able to answer the following questions (no googling!) about their nearest neighbour and closest ally:

What is the title given to Canada’s top political position, and who currently holds that position?

1. Nova Scotia, P.E.I., Saskatchewan.  How many is a guess, 8 or 9.  There’s a territory too I think.
2. Sydney, Montreal, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver B.C.
3. Montreal
4. Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau
5. I don’t know, maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the US population or about 100 million

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

15 September 2019 17:24

Jan_CAN - 15 September 2019 04:31 PM
GAD - 15 September 2019 03:30 PM

How would you know?

Nope, just before the south becomes uninhabitable, we’re going to let in all the Mexicans and South Americans.  So, we’ll be full-up.  Then we’ll close the border and build a really high wall to keep out the undesirables, y’know those Americans who thought we were boring.

That sounds very American to me!

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

15 September 2019 17:36

1. 13 total, I think.
2. The ones I’ve been to: Victoria, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City.
3. Ottawa.
5. 37 million???

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

15 September 2019 18:08

lynmc - 15 September 2019 05:05 PM

1. Nova Scotia, P.E.I., Saskatchewan.  How many is a guess, 8 or 9.  There’s a territory too I think.
2. Sydney, Montreal, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver B.C.
3. Montreal
5. I don’t know, maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the US population or about 100 million

Well, lynmc, I also commend you for not googling, so you deserve an honesty extra credit too, which you need because you only got half right.

1.  Correct for examples of three provinces.  Nadda for the (exact) number of provinces and territories.
2.  Correct for examples of cities (surprised you included the small town of Sydney – maybe you’ve been there).
3.  No.
4.  Correct on both title and name.
5.  Nope, too far off.

So your total is 50% + 10% extra credit = final grade of 60%.

Thanks for participating in my little experiment.  ;-)

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

15 September 2019 18:24

EN - 15 September 2019 05:36 PM

1. 13 total, I think.
2. The ones I’ve been to: Victoria, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City.
3. Ottawa.
5. 37 million???

Well, EN, that’s 100% for you!  Now, if I didn’t know how well travelled you are and a man of the world, I would’ve suspected some ‘cheating’.

I should’ve phrased the first question better to be more informative – i.e. how many provinces and how many territories are there?  You’re right, total of 13, that’s 10 provinces and 3 territories.  And I won’t ask you to name them (you didn’t give examples, but I think that was an oversight).  And your population answer is better than an estimate, it being 37.5 million, a little over one-tenth of the U.S. population.

Everyone from now on ... NO LOOKING AT EN’S ANSWERS!

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

15 September 2019 19:10

Jan_CAN - 15 September 2019 06:24 PM
EN - 15 September 2019 05:36 PM

1. 13 total, I think.
3. Ottawa.
5. 37 million???

Well, EN, that’s 100% for you!  Now, if I didn’t know how well travelled you are and a man of the world, I would’ve suspected some ‘cheating’.

I should’ve phrased the first question better to be more informative – i.e. how many provinces and how many territories are there?  You’re right, total of 13, that’s 10 provinces and 3 territories.  And I won’t ask you to name them (you didn’t give examples, but I think that was an oversight).  And your population answer is better than an estimate, it being 37.5 million, a little over one-tenth of the U.S. population.

Everyone from now on ... NO LOOKING AT EN’S ANSWERS!

I’ll give it a shot - no cheating.  Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Yukon Territory, Quebec, New Brunswick, Northwest Territories, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Labrador & Newfoundland, & that new one that was made out of the NWT - some Inuit name, but I can’t remember. Oh, well.

1 2 3 >  Last ›