Bernie Sanders Happy for Linda Sarsour’s support?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7692
Joined  22-02-2014

17 September 2019 17:52

Seems like quite a misstep to me Bernie:

Image Attachments

sanders-sarsour4.jpg

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  01-11-2014

17 September 2019 18:29

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

17 September 2019 18:33

Cheshire Cat - 17 September 2019 06:29 PM

Or, maybe not…

https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/01/25/womens-march-organizer-linda-sarsour/

Wait, are you saying Linda’s okay after all?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17735
Joined  15-02-2008

17 September 2019 21:09

Judaism and Islam are not compatible, in the end there can be only one.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5181
Joined  28-05-2009

18 September 2019 01:10

I don’t think so. Sympathy for Muslims living in the U.S. is pretty strong among younger progressives. Sarsour isn’t my cup of tea but she certainly has her following.

I think her critics actually make a tactical error when they rely so heavily on out of context quotes. Anyone who follows politics with any acumen at all knows that cherry picking the phrases of an opponent to paint a scary picture is trivially easy.

I think there is plenty to criticize legitimately. I think she does represent a threat. But this approach of simply relying on the publics fear of buzzwords is lazy and, I think counter productive. It will provide affirmation for people who have already made a decision but will likely provoke some proportion of undecided persons to her side… which I think we’ve seen already.

All else aside, I do think public alliances between Jews and Arabs are useful. We could use more of them.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

18 September 2019 07:55

Brick Bungalow - 18 September 2019 01:10 AM

I don’t think so. Sympathy for Muslims living in the U.S. is pretty strong among younger progressives. Sarsour isn’t my cup of tea but she certainly has her following.

I think her critics actually make a tactical error when they rely so heavily on out of context quotes. Anyone who follows politics with any acumen at all knows that cherry picking the phrases of an opponent to paint a scary picture is trivially easy.

I think there is plenty to criticize legitimately. I think she does represent a threat. But this approach of simply relying on the publics fear of buzzwords is lazy and, I think counter productive. It will provide affirmation for people who have already made a decision but will likely provoke some proportion of undecided persons to her side… which I think we’ve seen already.

All else aside, I do think public alliances between Jews and Arabs are useful. We could use more of them.

Yours is a useful perspective. But given the history, I think such alliances have to be built on transparency and honesty, and I don’t see that coming from Sarsour.