The absolute impotence of Congress

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

18 September 2019 20:33

If there is anything I have learned throughout all the investigations of this administration that have taken place, it is that Congress has absolutely no power whatsoever.  A person can defy Congressional subpoenas, inquiries and demands, and face absolutely no consequences. And, of course, if anything is taken to the courts, ultimately the administration has a majority on the SC, so nothing will happen there.  Just claim “Executive Privilege” or “National Security Crisis”, and you can throw a warm, moist turd at the House, and pay nothing for it. The President is absolutely shielded from anything, except an election.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

19 September 2019 08:59

And yet, with every election that results in a ‘smaller-government’ corrupt or corporate controlled candidate, the power of congress will grow even less potent.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3832
Joined  20-11-2013

19 September 2019 10:29

You’re overstating the issue.  The minority party in the Senate is absolutely impotent.  The majority party in the Senate is all powerful.  The house majority holds the purse strings (for the most part), but that’s about it.  Bipartisan bills passed in the house won’t get to the floor of the Senate unless the majority party is in favor of the bill(s).

We have no more statesmen.  We have only a very large majority of political hacks (both parties) whose only interest is in getting re-elected.  Nothing else matters.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6801
Joined  08-12-2006

19 September 2019 15:23

bbearren - 19 September 2019 10:29 AM

We have no more statesmen.  We have only a very large majority of political hacks (both parties) whose only interest is in getting re-elected.  Nothing else matters.

Yep. And two political parties (and their cheerleaders in the media) that are perfectly happy sowing vicious division between us—thereby undermining the country’s strength—in order to stay in power.

No true patriot belongs to either party.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  227
Joined  14-09-2017

20 September 2019 06:20

Antisocialdarwinist - 19 September 2019 03:23 PM

Yep. And two political parties (and their cheerleaders in the media) that are perfectly happy sowing vicious division between us—thereby undermining the country’s strength—in order to stay in power.

Well said, but you don’t have a choice.  At least when you vote anyway, you have to pick one of the two people put before you.  I have never voted in a presidential election.  Some would say it’s my civic duty - get out and vote!  I think I can make a convincing argument against that.  It’s like the old Devo song

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

21 September 2019 09:18

DEGENERATEON - 20 September 2019 06:20 AM

Well said, but you don’t have a choice.  At least when you vote anyway, you have to pick one of the two people put before you.  I have never voted in a presidential election.  Some would say it’s my civic duty - get out and vote!  I think I can make a convincing argument against that.  It’s like the old Devo song

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

I’d like to hear your argument against voting. Also, belonging to a party isn’t the same as voting. Far be it for me to tell you who you should or shouldn’t vote for. We all have our preferences when it comes to the issues, and certain candidates stand for (or pay lip service to) certain issues.

But that doesn’t mean you have to belong to a party! At least, not in a general election. The only downside to “non-partysanship” is that in some states, the parties have “closed primaries,” which means that in order to vote in their primary you have to belong to their party.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  227
Joined  14-09-2017

21 September 2019 20:25

Antisocialdarwinist - 21 September 2019 09:18 AM

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

I’d like to hear your argument against voting. Also, belonging to a party isn’t the same as voting. Far be it for me to tell you who you should or shouldn’t vote for. We all have our preferences when it comes to the issues, and certain candidates stand for (or pay lip service to) certain issues.

But that doesn’t mean you have to belong to a party! At least, not in a general election. The only downside to “non-partysanship” is that in some states, the parties have “closed primaries,” which means that in order to vote in their primary you have to belong to their party.

I had a friend who voted for a 3rd party candidate- gary johnson or something.  That as useless as tits on a boar.  Hillary vs Trump.  Two terrible candidates, do you just vote based on the lesser of two evils?  In addition- if you live in a red/blue state the chance that your vote matters is equivalent to voting for a third party.  You got a wild amount of people that will just vote their party no matter the circumstance.  People will vote based on bullshit Facebook information (not even considering the russian propaganda).
Call me what you want, but where I sit voting for the president is a waste of time.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

22 September 2019 12:28

DEGENERATEON - 21 September 2019 08:25 PM
Antisocialdarwinist - 21 September 2019 09:18 AM

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

I had a friend who voted for a 3rd party candidate- gary johnson or something.  That as useless as tits on a boar.  Hillary vs Trump.  Two terrible candidates, do you just vote based on the lesser of two evils?  In addition- if you live in a red/blue state the chance that your vote matters is equivalent to voting for a third party.  You got a wild amount of people that will just vote their party no matter the circumstance.  People will vote based on bullshit Facebook information (not even considering the russian propaganda).
Call me what you want, but where I sit voting for the president is a waste of time.

That seems like an argument for why voting isn’t in your own self interest rather than an argument for why it isn’t a “civic duty.”

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

23 September 2019 07:04

Reasons why you should vote
https://www.civics-online.org/voting-rights/reasons-why-you-should-vote/

“We do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.”
— Thomas Jefferson

“Elections belong to the people. It’s their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.”
— Abraham Lincoln

“Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting.”
— Franklin D. Roosevelt

“Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn’t mean politics won’t take an interest in you.”
— Pericles

“Someone struggled for your right to vote. Use it.”
— Susan B. Anthony

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  20-02-2006

23 September 2019 12:05

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/money-and-elections-a-complicated-love-story/

The candidate who spends the most money usually wins.
How strong is the association between campaign spending and political success? For House seats, more than 90 percent of candidates who spend the most win. From 2000 through 2016, there was only one election cycle where that wasn’t true: 2010. “In that election, 86 percent of the top spenders won,” said Sheila Krumholz, executive director of the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan research group that tracks campaign fundraising and spending.

Are we talking about why Congress isn’t going to bite the hand that feeds it?