Partisan Loyalty and Idealism

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5181
Joined  28-05-2009

21 September 2019 01:44

Pro:

Two parties is better than one party… at least from my limited historical survey.

Con:

I find it almost entirely devoid of content or principle. It rewards bad behavior. It teaches poor reasoning. It validates human vice and weakness. It produces incompetent leaders. It inspires dishonest and manipulative behavior in competent leaders. It sabotages collaboration between people who have urgent common interests. It provides shelter and shade for parasites and predators. It prevents and delays all sorts of projects that can and would benefit everyone. It obscures, distorts and profits from threats to public health and safety rather than addressing them.

I am not quite willing to disavow partisan membership formally as it is integral to our election process and doing so compromises what small amount of leverage an individual voter still has but my heart rejects the whole idea. I think its a sport for poor people invented by rich people who appreciate the danger of a united uprising. I think it’s very close to the exact opposite of real citizenship and patriotism.

To be clear, I’m not making any equivalencies or suggesting that peoples social priorities aren’t important. There are important differences between what the parties purport to represent. Sometimes the issues that resonate with people are addressed by the leadership in good faith. Other times they are employed duplicitously as leverage and ammunition. I believe that the former case is frequently a result of overcoming and bridging partisan rivalry while the latter is frequently inspired by a need to score points for the party.

I want to encourage those with whom I have common values and goals to dispense with political parties as beacons of identity or value. At best they are a blunt instrument for the realization of short term goals. They are not loyal to us and we have no rational reason to be loyal to them. Similarly, we have no rational reason to sacrifice the contribution of a neighbor on that basis.

I appreciate your time and attention.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6391
Joined  22-02-2005

21 September 2019 02:05

I cannot help but relocate this. Threads like this are why we built the Hall.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

21 September 2019 08:35

Oops. My mistake. Thank you.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7692
Joined  22-02-2014

21 September 2019 09:03

Does that mean “vote for the candidate, not the party”? If so, I’ve been on board for decades.

If not, what actions would the OP recommend?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

21 September 2019 10:09

icehorse - 21 September 2019 09:03 AM

Does that mean “vote for the candidate, not the party”? If so, I’ve been on board for decades.

If not, what actions would the OP recommend?

Probably not even that. Rather, vote for the specific utility of the candidate. Divorce the voting process from personality as much as possible. Have loyalty only to principle. Reciprocate loyalty to groups and individuals but do not volunteer allegiance prior to results. Take the concept of ‘public service’ fully to heart. They are public employees and not masters and therefore need to be subject to the same progressive discipline as any other employee. Put common material interests ahead of ideology. Recognize that we have more in common with our neighbors who may vote differently than we do with career politicians who validate our opinions.