1 2 3 > 

What’s with all the white people downtown?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9669
Joined  20-10-2006

21 September 2019 11:53

From 2000-2004 I worked for a company whose office was in downtown Oakland, and those were the dark ages for the city.  I saw the potential for a renaissance and hoped for it, but now I’m not so sure.  I don’t go downtown very often anymore except to Chinatown to get tea, and the changes have slowly been coming, as hoped, but now the place is crawling with white people.  Young white women walking little dogs and wearing yoga pants, middle aged white men in running shoes, dowdy white women browsing boutique (say what!?!?!) shops, and metrosexual men with hip glasses and ponytails.

This is not my Oakland.

I honestly was a little bit nervous when I was waiting at the light on the edge of the ghetto near my home when I saw a pretty, young, blonde woman walking her little dog in the crosswalk in front of me.  (wtf. . . ?)  The times, they are ‘a changin’!

I never thought white people would make me nervous, but now I am when there are too many for my taste.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17735
Joined  15-02-2008

21 September 2019 12:56

That seems like a really extreme phobia.

[ Edited: 21 September 2019 15:38 by GAD]

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

21 September 2019 13:43

In Austin, it’s “what’s with all the young people downtown.”  I was there a few weeks ago on business and of the thousands of people there, nobody looked within 10 years of me.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

21 September 2019 19:09

GAD - 21 September 2019 12:56 PM

It’s better than the days of the brothers shooting up the place, but white, right, and up tight is not my style either.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

21 September 2019 19:15

Skipshot - 21 September 2019 07:09 PM

It’s better than the days of the brothers shooting up the place, but white, right, and up tight is not my style either.

Yup, variety is the spice of life.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

21 September 2019 19:25

EN - 21 September 2019 01:43 PM

In Austin, it’s “what’s with all the young people downtown.”  I was there a few weeks ago on business and of the thousands of people there, nobody looked within 10 years of me.

At your age, not a lot of people are within 10 years of you.  I’m beginning to feel the same.  Such is the way.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 September 2019 23:17

What were you expecting, legal prostitution, legal drug dealing and gangs turning to nice organized crime so that you could go down town and get your freak on but be safe?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 September 2019 23:21

Jan_CAN - 21 September 2019 07:15 PM

LOL, if it were all black etc would say that it needed some white, of course not. Really what you are saying is white is bad and needs to be diluted so the good non-whites can has a chance. You are so goddam racist.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 September 2019 23:34

GAD - 21 September 2019 11:21 PM

LOL, if it were all black etc would say that it needed some white, of course not. Really what you are saying is white is bad and needs to be diluted so the good non-whites can has a chance. You are so goddam racist.

Only you could find fault with such an innocuous statement.
I remember on another thread you saying that you don’t like pot, but I strongly suggest you give it another try.  You really need to mellow out a bit.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 September 2019 23:52

Jan_CAN - 21 September 2019 11:34 PM

I remember on another thread you saying that you don’t like pot, but I strongly suggest you give it another try.  You really need to mellow out a bit.

Yet I’m not the one saying white people are bad.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 September 2019 23:56

GAD - 21 September 2019 11:52 PM

Are you hallucinating ... without the use of drugs?  Or can caffeine overdose cause delusions?  Something must be going on because you’re seeing things that aren’t there.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

22 September 2019 00:31

Jan_CAN - 21 September 2019 11:56 PM

Are you hallucinating ... without the use of drugs?  Or can caffeine overdose cause delusions?  Something must be going on because you’re seeing things that aren’t there.

Look at the quote string, you are really saying that too many white people are a bad thing, would you ever say to many black people are a bad thing, of course not. If I said I didn’t like going to Oakland because there are to many blacks there for my liking’s you would call me racist (again), yet you make the same statement for whites but I must be on drugs for pointing out your hypocrisy.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

22 September 2019 00:55

GAD - 22 September 2019 12:31 AM

Look at the quote string, you are really saying that too many white people are a bad thing, would you ever say to many black people are a bad thing, of course not. If I said I didn’t like going to Oakland because there are to many blacks there for my liking’s you would call me racist (again), yet you make the same statement for whites but I must be on drugs for pointing out your hypocrisy.

What I was clearly saying is that a varied community is more interesting and vital.  But you won’t hear that because you have blinders on.  There is little point in trying to have any kind of conversation with you.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

22 September 2019 01:00

Jan_CAN - 22 September 2019 12:55 AM
GAD - 22 September 2019 12:31 AM

What I was clearly saying is that a varied community is more interesting and vital.  But you won’t hear that because you have blinders on.  There is little point in trying to have any kind of conversation with you.

And you clearly would not have said that if the comment was someone didn’t like all the blacks somewhere.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

22 September 2019 09:28

My nervousness of seeing more white people in my town probably comes from the recent outings of white people calling the cops on blacks for picayune issues, like BBQ Becky did.  I do not know where that woman was from, but the response to her calling the cops was all Oakland:

The event — called “BBQing While Black” — was residents’ response to a video that went viral in late April after a white woman called police to report a few black men using a charcoal grill at the lake. Although they were in a designated barbecuing area, charcoal grills are not allowed in that section of the lake.

On Sunday, firefighters smiled and waved at the attendees, who were grilling racks of ribs, sausage links and seasoned chicken, among other meats and veggie patties. Police officers drove by and stopped to facilitate traffic.

Source

My concern is of the classic kind which is a wariness of change upsetting balance.  The different people of Oakland are not holding hands and singing Kumbaya, but instead we keep to our own and stay out of others’ business, which may be difficult for newcomers to understand, particularly white people, who have a strong record of hassling everyone who is not white.  My favorite taco place has one person who speaks English, the woman who sells wonderful tea has not improved her English in the 16 years I’ve been going to her, the angry Black woman who cuts my hair is the only one allowed to do it because she’s good at it, the Koreans who run the breakfast cafe don’t have the best service or decor, but their food is good, plentiful, and cheap, the hands-down best Thai restaurant in town is also one of the cheapest and most inaccessible because it’s in a residential neighborhood with little parking, and there is a rumor that Michelin was considering giving it a star, I still take my boys to visit the illegally placed 11th Ave. Buddha, and the Iranian who keeps my car running is the nicest guy I have ever met. 

Oakland’s diversity frightened away white people, which made the town comparatively affordable, but those days are fading fast as housing prices have gone through the roof here, and the diversity is being displaced by. . . people who I fear would see the diversity as a threat rather than an asset.  And on the flip-side, I also fear the locals will see the newcomers as a threat, too, and make unwarranted assumptions also, like me.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6801
Joined  08-12-2006

22 September 2019 12:44

Skipshot - 21 September 2019 11:53 AM

I never thought white people would make me nervous, but now I am when there are too many for my taste.

Blatant virtue signaling. All you need to do now is apologize for being white and male, then you’ll show you’re as woke as Beto.

1 2 3 >