1 2 3 >  Last ›

The Children’s Crusade

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  01-11-2014

23 September 2019 11:56

Once in a great while, someone unexpected appears on the world stage. Someone you would never imagine, not in a million years. Someone who is the right person, at the right time, doing the right thing.

The person I’m referring to is Greta Thunberg, a 16 year-old Swedish girl, and now, internationally known environmental activist.

I am in awe of this girl.

This small, frail looking girl, who has been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, obsessive–compulsive disorder, and selective mutism, has risen above her personal limitations to take on the leaders of the world. She is shaming them with her eloquence.

Last Friday, she appeared before congress and told them not to pay attention to her words, but instead, to the findings of science in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s special report on global warming.

Today, she spoke to world leaders at the U.N. Climate Session.

There was fire in her words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJsdgTPJpU

This unlikely girl is a powerful threat to the status quo. The great and powerful fossil fuel industry has met it’s match.

The servants, sycophants, water-carriers and toadies to the fossil fuel industry are facing a dilemma: How do you attack a 16-year old girl?

Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, the Republican Senate, both Republicans and Democrats of congress, the Koch Brother’s PACs, Fox News and all right wing media must be beside themselves. The usual attack dog strategies won’t work in this case. The Great Rightwing Slime Machine is powerless before a skinny teenage girl.

Go Greta!

[ Edited: 23 September 2019 13:37 by Cheshire Cat]

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  716
Joined  20-07-2017

23 September 2019 13:32

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate
In 3,21…,

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

23 September 2019 15:56

Thanks for posting this link.

Greta Thunberg is indeed an impressive and inspirational young activist.

It is the young who are most likely to provide the spark and lead the drive to battle climate change.  Their passion and innocence will serve to make the apathetic and greedy appear even more so.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17735
Joined  15-02-2008

23 September 2019 20:59

Yawn. She really doesn’t know anything she is talking about, she is just over dramatically parroting bullet points. She is right, she should not be up there, but the hero crowd just loves exploiting kids for sympathy.

That is not hate, that is realty, and unless you can show me what she said that I haven’t heard from grown ups and scientists a 100 times then don’t bother replying with your own whining and hate about me not celebrating such exploitation’s.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2822
Joined  19-01-2015

24 September 2019 01:24

GAD - 23 September 2019 08:59 PM

Yawn. She really doesn’t know anything she is talking about, she is just over dramatically parroting bullet points. She is right, she should not be up there, but the hero crowd just loves exploiting kids for sympathy.

That is not hate, that is realty, and unless you can show me what she said that I haven’t heard from grown ups and scientists a 100 times then don’t bother replying with your own whining and hate about me not celebrating such exploitation’s.

why, you got someone better lined up?

Because I don’t see anyone else willing to be annoying on the International Stage to promote a coordinated response to Climate Change.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

24 September 2019 05:55

She doesn’t claim to understand all the science and has consistently asked the public to listen to the scientists.  But she does understand enough to justifiably worry about the future of her generation.  There is a natural inclination to want to reassure a child’s fears and tell them everything’s going to be alright, but how do we do that with climate change?

Young children are sometimes used by adults to parrot their politics, but 16-year-olds tend to have minds of their own if not the full maturity needed for perspective.  I don’t think she’s being exploited, but do feel some concern that she’s been elevated to a position that could be difficult for someone so young to handle, especially with how social media treats anyone speaking out about hot issues.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

24 September 2019 08:48

Twissel - 24 September 2019 01:24 AM

Because I don’t see anyone else willing to be annoying on the International Stage to promote a coordinated response to Climate Change.

So basically, no one is listening the the grownups are actually know something so lets throw up a kid to get the sympathy. Hey, if carried around a basket of puppies and kittens and cried over then you could get a few more people to cry over her.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7692
Joined  22-02-2014

24 September 2019 11:35

GAD - 24 September 2019 08:48 AM
Twissel - 24 September 2019 01:24 AM

So basically, no one is listening the the grownups are actually know something so lets throw up a kid to get the sympathy. Hey, if carried around a basket of puppies and kittens and cried over then you could get a few more people to cry over her.

So are we agreed that the-powers-that-be aren’t listening to the scientists?

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6801
Joined  08-12-2006

24 September 2019 13:47

That overwrought little drama queen isn’t going to convince anyone who doesn’t already agree with her.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  716
Joined  20-07-2017

24 September 2019 14:06

Ok, what strategy/strategies are more likely to be successful then?

[ Edited: 24 September 2019 14:08 by mapadofu]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

24 September 2019 14:10

It’s easy for adults, who are busy with their day-to-day lives, not to pay attention to something that is slightly abstract, something that will have it’s worst impact in the future, like global warming.

It’s also easy for many adults, such as Trump’s base, to write the entire topic off as “fake news” or whatever else their cult leader and right wing propaganda outlet tells them.

It’s easy for Evangelicals to actually be happy that global warming is destroying the earth, because this is “proof” that we are in the “End Times,” and soon 50-foot tall Jesus will be descending through the clouds to sweep them up into heaven during the Rapture.

It’s easy for greedy people who are making a fortune from the fossil fuel industry, to support the spreading of outright lies about how global warming has nothing to do with human activity, and that it is just a natural cycle of nature that mankind can do nothing about.

It’s easy for adults to bury their heads in the sand or to delude themselves that everything if just fine.

What is not so easy for these same adults, is when their children — who are very aware that the animals they love are dying and going extinct, that the polar ice caps are melting, that global weather patterns are shifting and creating bizarre weather — look into their parent’s eyes and ask them if the planet is heating up and if they will be alright when they grow up.

Greta is a catalyst for children to ask their parents this very uncomfortable question.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

24 September 2019 17:38

Cheshire Cat - 24 September 2019 02:10 PM

It’s easy for adults, who are busy with their day-to-day lives, not to pay attention to something that is slightly abstract, something that will have it’s worst impact in the future, like global warming.

It’s also easy for many adults, such as Trump’s base, to write the entire topic off as “fake news” or whatever else their cult leader and right wing propaganda outlet tells them.

It’s easy for Evangelicals to actually be happy that global warming is destroying the earth, because this is “proof” that we are in the “End Times,” and soon 50-foot tall Jesus will be descending through the clouds to sweep them up into heaven during the Rapture.

It’s easy for greedy people who are making a fortune from the fossil fuel industry, to support the spreading of outright lies about how global warming has nothing to do with human activity, and that it is just a natural cycle of nature that mankind can do nothing about.

It’s easy for adults to bury their heads in the sand or to delude themselves that everything if just fine.

What is not so easy for these same adults, is when their children — who are very aware that the animals they love are dying and going extinct, that the polar ice caps are melting, that global weather patterns are shifting and creating bizarre weather — look into their parent’s eyes and ask them if the planet is heating up and if they will be alright when they grow up.

Greta is a catalyst for children to ask their parents this very uncomfortable question.

You live in another world. My kids ask, I tell them straight, they ask what to do, I ask them what are they willing to give up, the answer, they don’t want to give up anything. You can say my kids of pieces shit or that they have an asshole daddy to make yourself feel good, but the fact is that is the real life, that is the normal view of the vast majority of the 7 billion people on earth, and if you want proof just look at your window or turn on the tv.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15890
Joined  17-12-2006

24 September 2019 18:37

Cheshire Cat - 24 September 2019 02:10 PM

The other point is that she is a rallying point for other teens, who in a very short time will be voters.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

24 September 2019 19:53

GAD - 24 September 2019 05:38 PM

You live in another world. My kids ask, I tell them straight, they ask what to do, I ask them what are they willing to give up, the answer, they don’t want to give up anything. You can say my kids of pieces shit or that they have an asshole daddy to make yourself feel good, but the fact is that is the real life, that is the normal view of the vast majority of the 7 billion people on earth, and if you want proof just look at your window or turn on the tv.

No man, I’m not calling you an asshole. I’m curious though, aren’t you worried at all about the state of the world that we will be leaving your kids?

I think now is the time to put the politician’s feet to the fire and get something happening to solve this existential danger. Now or never.

Maybe you think it’s too late or doesn’t matter?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

24 September 2019 20:11

How many people here use a gasoline powered car?  Until we stop that, discussion is useless.  I still use one, so I don’t have a lot of moral strength.  So, fess up.  Who uses gasoline?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5181
Joined  28-05-2009

24 September 2019 20:29

I think she is a remarkable voice of conscience. I think many of our most profound public figures are near her age. I’m excited to support movements that will extinguish the current paradigm. The significant sub text can be found mainly in the statements of her detractors. Cynicism. Derision. Sarcasm. She uses none of that. That is why she will win more hearts.

1 2 3 >  Last ›