1 2 3 >  Last ›

Impeachment Inquiry

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

24 September 2019 20:05

My fear is that the end result of this will be the re-election of Trump and the loss of the House to the GOP.  While I agree that Trump is corrupt and that he has committed impeachable offenses, I don’t believe anyone has an obligation to start a war he/she knows they will lose.  Trump will not be convicted by 2/3 of the Senate, and the impeachment inquiry will be a debacle of stonewalling and frustration. The impotence of theHouse will be on full display.  Trump wants to be impeached so he can cry “Witch hunt!!!” once again.  We will see, but I fear this ends badly.  Hope I’m wrong.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15890
Joined  17-12-2006

24 September 2019 20:11

EN - 24 September 2019 08:05 PM

My fear is that the end result of this will be the re-election of Trump and the loss of the House to the GOP.  While I agree that Trump is corrupt and that he has committed impeachable offenses, I don’t believe anyone has an obligation to start a war he/she knows they will lose.  Trump will not be convicted by 2/3 of the Senate, and the impeachment inquiry will be a debacle of stonewalling and frustration. The impotence of theHouse will be on full display.  Trump wants to be impeached so he can cry “Witch hunt!!!” once again.  We will see, but I fear this ends badly.  Hope I’m wrong.

I think the Republicans are playing this very cynically. If Trump wins re-election I suspect that they’d be perfectly willing to see him impeached because they’d still control the presidency. Before the election they’ll oppose it all out and try to gain advantage from it.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3164
Joined  07-08-2011

24 September 2019 20:28

I’m still waiting for you to improve the quality of your posts.

You started the thread. OK. Thank you. Now please tell us what the “impeachable offense” you believe he committed.  Is this like the Russian Collusion which you accused him of and thought he committed treason?  Turned out the actual offense was committed by his opponents. 

Tell us the impeachable offense.  Please!  Don’t look at Burt for any help. He blows more smoke than anyone else on this forum.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

24 September 2019 20:44

The impeachable offenses include obstruction of justice (clearly laid out by Mueller) and pressuring the Ukrainian President for his own political gain. I don’t expect you to agree with this, but that doesn’t matter to me.  I don’t want Trump to be President, but I would rather beat him at the ballot box than go the impeachment route. We will see what happens.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2822
Joined  19-01-2015

24 September 2019 22:15

The House decides what is an impeachable offense - doesn’t have to be a crime.

Asking a foreign government to interfere in US elections and obstructing efforts for this fact to get to the House Intelligence Committee is definitely an impeachable offense.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17735
Joined  15-02-2008

24 September 2019 22:50

I suspect you are right.

Twissel

Twissel
Joined  19-01-2015

25 September 2019 00:14

If voting to impeach costs the Dems the House, Senate and White House - so be it.
All that means is that Republicans will get wiped out for decades after 2024.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

25 September 2019 00:21

Twissel - 25 September 2019 12:14 AM

If voting to impeach costs the Dems the House, Senate and White House - so be it.

I always get a kick out of the “let’s destroy the world to save it”  cartoon villain mentality. Too bad we are not in a cartoon.

Twissel

Twissel
Joined  19-01-2015

25 September 2019 00:28

GAD - 25 September 2019 12:21 AM

I always get a kick out of the “let’s destroy the world to save it”  cartoon villain mentality. Too bad we are not in a cartoon.

you sure?
Trump has build is entire career on being cartoonish.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

25 September 2019 00:33

Twissel - 25 September 2019 12:28 AM
GAD - 25 September 2019 12:21 AM

you sure?
Trump has build is entire career on being cartoonish.

Drop an anvil on his head and find out.

PS video it and post it, I’m very curious to see what happens

Twissel

Twissel
Joined  19-01-2015

25 September 2019 00:38

When the leader of one political party cherishes being called “The Grim Reaper”, then it is safe to say that we have entered Villain Territory.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1883
Joined  14-08-2008

25 September 2019 03:55

EN - 24 September 2019 08:44 PM

I don’t want Trump to be President, but I would rather beat him at the ballot box than go the impeachment route. We will see what happens.

He has already been beaten at the ballot box (in the form of the popular vote). However, the mere distribution of his fewer votes (via the electoral college system) is what landed him in office. Let’s hope things fall into place in 2020 and we restore sanity and dignity to our highest level of government.

Ron

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 September 2019 04:53

MrRon - 25 September 2019 03:55 AM
EN - 24 September 2019 08:44 PM

I don’t want Trump to be President, but I would rather beat him at the ballot box than go the impeachment route. We will see what happens.

He has already been beaten at the ballot box (in the form of the popular vote). However, the mere distribution of his fewer votes (via the electoral college system) is what landed him in office. Let’s hope things fall into place in 2020 and we restore sanity and dignity to our highest level of government.

Ron

He is not beaten until he is out of office.  If a boxer wins most of the rounds, then gets knocked out, he loses.  Those are the rules. He has the Oval Office.  I don’t want him there another 4 years.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1838
Joined  31-10-2015

25 September 2019 05:55

To impeach or not to impeach? An answer to such a question needs to take into consideration some sort of goal. Is the goal of this impeachment to rid the nation of its disastrous decision, or is it instead to make a political statement? If Nancy feels certain that the Senate won’t follow suit with Trump’s impeachment, then what is her goal? Has she specified—or hinted at—something resembling a goal?

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 September 2019 07:31

nonverbal - 25 September 2019 05:55 AM

To impeach or not to impeach? An answer to such a question needs to take into consideration some sort of goal. Is the goal of this impeachment to rid the nation of its disastrous decision, or is it instead to make a political statement? If Nancy feels certain that the Senate won’t follow suit with Trump’s impeachment, then what is her goal? Has she specified—or hinted at—something resembling a goal?

I think she is basically being forced into this by her own party.  Most of them now want impeachment, even though most of the country does not. She would rather beat him in 2020 and maintain control of the House.  This puts both in jeopardy.  We’ll see.

Of course, this is just the beginning, and is just an inquiry.  She has not yet been forced to agree to an actual vote, but that is what is probably coming.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 September 2019 08:27

Here is the transcript of the call (which may not be word for word).

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/25/politics/donald-trump-ukraine-transcript-call/index.html

Trump specifically mentions Biden and his son, asks the Ukrainian President to do something about that with the US Attorney General, and mentions how good the USA has been to the Ukraine (as opposed to the rest of Europe).

1 2 3 >  Last ›