Time for a Third Party?

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15890
Joined  17-12-2006

25 September 2019 08:45

Looking to the intermediate future, I’ve seen demographic projections indicating that by 2040 and perhaps earlier, 70% of the US population will be living in ten states. That points to a strong rural/urban divide and in particular there will be 40 mostly rural states containing 30% or less of the population but controlling 80 seats in the senate. At the same time, there will be 10 states controlling the majority of the house. Because of the electoral college, the rural states will have an edge in electing the president. At present the Republicans control most of the rural states and the Democrats control most of the urban states (exceptions: New Mexico, Florida, etc.). These demographics seem to point to some serious problems and expecting them to be resolved by a constitutional amendment or such doesn’t seem realistic. So perhaps it’s time for a third party that initially, at least, focuses attention on the majority of the rural states so as to either control, or at least have the balance of power in the senate, without falling into the far right position of the Trump Republicans.

Any suggestions as to what sort of positions such a third party ought to take on issues (trying to appeal to rural voters without being radically right)?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

25 September 2019 09:50

The biggest exception is Texas.  It’s becoming more of an urban state, and will be one of the 70% states you mentioned.  It’s clearly GOP now, although we will see in 2020 if that’s going to change.  I have no idea how a 3rd party would deal with all this, except I think on is needed and it needs to be moderate down the line. If you get rid of the Electoral College, the presidential election issue you raise goes away, so I would make that one of the “planks” of the 3rd party platform.  Make it a straight majority election.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2822
Joined  19-01-2015

25 September 2019 10:03

a first-past-the-post election system doesn’t lend itself to more than two parties.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15890
Joined  17-12-2006

25 September 2019 13:34

Twissel - 25 September 2019 10:03 AM

a first-past-the-post election system doesn’t lend itself to more than two parties.

Although we do have one in Canada, and the third part, the NDP, controls some provinces but hasn’t ever been in power nationally although sometimes it has influence through minority governments (which might happen in the next few weeks with the next election).

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7692
Joined  22-02-2014

28 September 2019 08:38

My gut is that we’d be better off with a multi-party, coalition style approach. In theory, such an approach allows for a much, much broader array of assembled platforms.