1 2 3 >  Last ›

The Second Most-Reasonable Person

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6391
Joined  22-02-2005

29 September 2019 12:54

We already know who the first is. It’s you the reader. Everyone gets a first place trophy just for participating. It is a small tin ear stuck on a stump of wood. The big prize is for the #2 spot. Who comes closest to your own unmatched and unsullied top-of-the-pile reasoning? That is a far more exciting competition.

There are some dis-qualifiers. Anyone who concedes that their reasoning is driven by emotions that compromise their rationality is not a contender. Anyone who admits that their hatreds drive every conclusion is out of the running. Any patron doing that must step aside and accept our game-board edition of the forum.

This contest is not about making anyone feel good about themselves. As many patrons have observed, other folks’ postings already achieve this goal.

This could be an opportunity to uncover the source of our diversity of opinion. We all agree that hate and emotion do not control our own conclusions, so it must be something else. If we cannot work out the issues rationally, maybe we can work out why we cannot work them out.

One possibility is differences in our duration of reasoning. We could hold a sack-race and see who can take the most steps but it is unlikely that the contestants would agree on the length of the track. Each lane would assume the track ends where their reasoning is satisfied and any further steps are into la-la-land.

Reasoning need only be perfect and emotion-free from its starting pointing to its point of conclusion. If we all start with the same assumptions, reasoning should take us on parallel paths, right? If emotions are involved, it is before the operation of reasoning. Emotions do not stop the act of reasoning. Emotions are a scapegoat for fatigue. Our capacity for reason is not unbounded. It stops when it has to.

Who’s reasoning reminds you the most of your own? Even if they don’t agree with you, where do you see your process of thinking most manifested in someone else?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17735
Joined  15-02-2008

29 September 2019 14:12

Interesting. I doubt I’ll make anyone’s list, but for me this is easy, EN.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6391
Joined  22-02-2005

30 September 2019 09:33

You’ve got the idea. EN takes the lead with his not-to-hot, not-to-cold reasoning. The big prize is loading onto the trucks. Shall a non-non-theist take it?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

30 September 2019 10:13

For me, BRF always seemed to follow the evidence.  Something I aspire to.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

30 September 2019 11:38

Although I’d like a “first place trophy just for participating”, I can’t choose just one “most reasonable person”.  I appreciate the varying talents and personalities here and only wish there were more.

And the OP’s emphasis on reason leaves me in a bit of a quandary, because what I enjoy equally to reasoned and well-explained opinions, is plain ol’ common sense, humour and wit, and even the occasional bluntness and emotional outburst ...  I love reason, but it’d be rather boring on its own.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3832
Joined  20-11-2013

01 October 2019 10:08

Nhoj Morley - 29 September 2019 12:54 PM

Who’s reasoning reminds you the most of your own? Even if they don’t agree with you, where do you see your process of thinking most manifested in someone else?

I don’t.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2822
Joined  19-01-2015

01 October 2019 11:01

I strive not to be the least-reasonable person.

Beyond that, exchange of information and ideas will do when reasoned discussion is not to be had.

[ Edited: 01 October 2019 11:19 by Twissel]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1838
Joined  31-10-2015

01 October 2019 11:15

#1—Salt Creek
#2—Brick Bungalow

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  26-03-2013

01 October 2019 13:30

When one act of treason determines free will
Then the reason we reason escapes us all still
An abundance of fodder leaves us something to glean
Hold your breath under water and soon see what I mean
We fill in the space with the items we choose
And don’t leave a trace and so often times lose
Minds shallow and scattered will miss moving parts
Forgetting what mattered like runaway carts
Assumptions are mired then run out of line
Lacking patience required when pruning the vine
Reading and writing may convince us what’s real
Yet we spend our time fighting to convey how we feel
Words get in the way when we’re all keeping score
And want what we say to null what came before
The pot meets the kettle where nothing can land
Like the smell of a petal til the rose pricks yer hand
When feeling the rage and while counting to ten
Simply turn back the page and try reading again
Coz within every read you will see something new
And it may sew the seed of what separates you
If you do what you’re told then you’re harder to reach
The ideas that hold aren’t the ones that they teach
Our notions are key to tell stories we know
Like waves of the sea but not what lurks below
Building the chains that will pull us ahead
Leave what remains and won’t care what’s unsaid
Alone with yer thoughts makes an island of one
Where untangling naughts really isn’t much fun
Take command of the bow as the colours are struck
Where the timing is now til we’re all out of luck
Sail around the intrusion and everyone wins
At the point of conclusion where the thinking begins.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

02 October 2019 10:51

Have any of your poems ever been published? They are really well-written.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1838
Joined  31-10-2015

02 October 2019 13:07

EN - 02 October 2019 10:51 AM

I’d love to be her agent for Comedy Central. If only I were an agent of some sort. Or even a comic.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

02 October 2019 13:17

nonverbal - 02 October 2019 01:07 PM
EN - 02 October 2019 10:51 AM

I’d love to be her agent for Comedy Central. If only I were an agent of some sort. Or even a comic.

No way!  She’s ours (Canada’s) and you can’t have her!

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

02 October 2019 15:31

I’m touched.  Or so I’m often told.  I’m in about as much demand as an ear nailed to a block of wood.  Which sounds like a perfectly reasonable trophy for such an occasion.  A novelty item.  Like Jagermeister.  It seems like a good idea at the time…but then…after awhile…looking at it just makes you sick.  I just hope it’s a human ear.  Fool me once…

A poem establishes a rhythm so that work is done.  After a line or two the cadence is clear and you either follow along or you don’t.  With prose you have to find the rhythm to establish the tone and that leaves more room for error.  The reader has to place the same emphasis on the same words as the author.  Things can quickly become misconstrued and sinister motives are often ascribed where none were intended.  The more care we put into listening the more likely these conversations stand the chance of developing into more than mere aspirations.

Am I still in the running?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

02 October 2019 16:08

LadyJane - 02 October 2019 03:31 PM

I’m touched.  Or so I’m often told.  I’m in about as much demand as an ear nailed to a block of wood.  Which sounds like a perfectly reasonable trophy for such an occasion.  A novelty item.  Like Jagermeister.  It seems like a good idea at the time…but then…after awhile…looking at it just makes you sick.  I just hope it’s a human ear.  Fool me once…

A poem establishes a rhythm so that work is done.  After a line or two the cadence is clear and you either follow along or you don’t.  With prose you have to find the rhythm to establish the tone and that leaves more room for error.  The reader has to place the same emphasis on the same words as the author.  Things can quickly become misconstrued and sinister motives are often ascribed where none were intended.  The more care we put into listening the more likely these conversations stand the chance of developing into more than mere aspirations.

Am I still in the running?

You’re on the top of my list for anything, LJ!  And your poetry makes us happy while making us think, and sometimes to laugh.

But I also covet the tin-ear-on-stump-of-wood trophy and I think all of us are supposed to get one just for participating.  Nhoj neglects to say what the big prize is so I guess we’ll just have to wait-and-see.

I’m still having trouble with Nhoj’s question, “Who comes closest to your own unmatched and unsullied top-of-the-pile reasoning?”.  It would be easier if he’d asked “Who do you most aspire to be like in your reasoning (or expression)?”.  But then again, I think Nhoj likes tough questions.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

02 October 2019 16:09

I’ll vote LJ for second most reasonable just on the basis of her poetry.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

02 October 2019 17:00

Is there a prize for guessing who talked the tin man’s ear off?

1 2 3 >  Last ›