College Football Players Getting Paid

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21702
Joined  11-03-2007

01 October 2019 10:03

This has nothing to do with politics, religion or the environment, so I put it in the Funway.  California is going to allow college players to receive endorsements - in other words, get paid.  I’m trying to think of a reason this is bad, but can’t.  College football is BIG business.  The University of Texas gets about $100,000,000 in PROFIT a year on its football program.  The head coach gets millions.  The players are the ones who risk serious injury and go through the pain of training and games, but get nothing (an education, but lots of kids get that and never play football or bring in any money for the school).  The best ones leave college before graduation because they don’t want to pass up a lucrative NFL contract.  So, why not keep them in school by paying them something, or letting some industry pay them?  If you say that money corrupts the sport, well, there is already money in it - it just doesn’t go to the ones doing the work. 

Any way, what do you think?  It’s not really important, just something to talk about.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17735
Joined  15-02-2008

01 October 2019 20:42

“College football is BIG business”, that says it all. And once CA does it everyone will, because they want it anyways and they don’t want all the best players going to CA for money. Let the bidding wars and ridiculous money for playing game start!

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9669
Joined  20-10-2006

02 October 2019 05:53

I say we try letting the players make some money off their efforts.  Sports are not a vital part of an education, and if it makes money then the performers should get some of it.  And if something goes horribly wrong, then change the rules again.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17735
Joined  15-02-2008

10 October 2019 01:10