#170- The Great Uncoupling A Conversation with Andrew McAfee

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6391
Joined  22-02-2005

02 October 2019 12:45

In this episode of the Making Sense podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Andrew McAfee about the history of human progress and the modern uncoupling of our prosperity from resource consumption. They discuss the pitfalls and hidden virtues of capitalism, technological progress, environmental policy, the future of the developing world, and other topics.

#170- The Great Uncoupling A Conversation with Andrew McAfee

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

quintuplified

quintuplified
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-10-2019

04 October 2019 15:10

Andrew McAfee is a scientist? I don’t think so.

This is pet peeve: McAfee and Sam are frequently introduced as scientists. However, they are not. As a former/lapsed scientist myself, I realize that no one hands out official scientist plaques and licenses use of the title. But anyone who respects science should insist using the title requires *actually doing science*. This means that at a minimum you have been and are CURRENTLY engaged in conducting original scientific research and publish that research in at least marginally reputable peer-reviewed journals. At a minimum. We certainly might make exceptions for emeritus types, but having an engineering degree (technology, not science) and a PhD from a business school by themselves do not qualify you (McAfee). Nor does teaching at an august institution, particularly a b-school. Perhaps one could argue he is a “management scientist” or a stretching even further, a “social scientist”. But given his CV, that’s a reach.

For Sam’s part, I don’t believe he’s done original research for >20 years, has he? Just say you were trained in neuroscience if you must, and leave it at that.