< 1 2

The Regressive Agenda

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  242
Joined  14-09-2017

23 October 2019 07:49

“First off, I suspect Ezra was concerned about the optics for those who make a quick and uncharitable examination of the conversation.”

-That is a very charitable interpretation of what Ezra was getting at.  But it doesn’t negate the other point, that Ezra thinks there is something wrong with a couple white people discussing this topic, and they should get a black person on the panel to discuss data or the validity of that data.

-The portion of the unabomber manifesto was interesting.  I don’t put any more stock in it than some random post on a forum, but a few parts stuck out. 
“The leftist is not typically the kind of person whose feelings of inferiority make him a braggart, an egotist, a bully, a self-promoter, a ruthless competitor. This kind of person has not wholly lost faith in himself. He has a deficit in his sense of power and self-worth, but he can still conceive of himself as having the capacity to be strong, and his efforts to make himself strong produce his unpleasant behavior. “
-Sounds like someone I know
“Notice the masochistic tendency of leftist tactics. Leftists protest by lying down in front of vehicles, they intentionally provoke police or racists to abuse them, etc. These tactics may often be effective, but many leftists use them not as a means to an end but because they PREFER masochistic tactics.”
-Antifa?
“If our society had no social problems at all, the leftists would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss.”
-Sounds like GAD

I don’t see Ted as some kind of modern Nostradamus.  I haven’t read his entire manifesto and from all evidence he is a murderous kook.  I just thought some of these thoughts were interesting especially considering they’re 25 years old. 

” I am convinced that the most relevant factor is differences in how a society educates or trains its children that effects the way they reason and perceive the world. That gives me the advantage because it is a non-biological/racial/gender/class factor that should not offend anybody.”

I can see the advantage, but should it be?  And I wouldn’t be so sure about not offending anybody when discussing differences.

“When trump’s utterances conform to the expectations of his base, why isn’t that seen as correctly pandering to a political view? All political speech is like walking across burning eggshells.”

-Well Trump is definitely pandering, but is it politically correct pandering?
“Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated PC) is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.”
Trump cares nothing about avoiding offense, or if he does care - he doesn’t have the ability to control it.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6419
Joined  22-02-2005

24 October 2019 00:03

DEGENERATEON - 23 October 2019 07:49 AM

“First off, I suspect Ezra was concerned about the optics for those who make a quick and uncharitable examination of the conversation.”
-That is a very charitable interpretation of what Ezra was getting at.  But it doesn’t negate the other point, that Ezra thinks there is something wrong with a couple white people discussing this topic, and they should get a black person on the panel to discuss data or the validity of that data.

Yes, but… by your own words, if Ezra thought the optics were the something wrong, it would negate the need for an unspecified other point.

-The portion of the unabomber manifesto was interesting.  I don’t put any more stock in it than some random post on a forum, but a few parts stuck out.
“The leftist is not typically the kind of person whose feelings of inferiority make him a braggart, an egotist, a bully, a self-promoter, a ruthless competitor. This kind of person has not wholly lost faith in himself. He has a deficit in his sense of power and self-worth, but he can still conceive of himself as having the capacity to be strong, and his efforts to make himself strong produce his unpleasant behavior. “

Yes, but… it also sounds like trump and several of my employers. Are you saying that personality disorders come from political preferences? Perhaps folks like that make lousy leftists and lousy trumpies.

I don’t see Ted as some kind of modern Nostradamus.  I haven’t read his entire manifesto and from all evidence he is a murderous kook.  I just thought some of these thoughts were interesting especially considering they’re 25 years old.

I hear nothing in this trump era that wasn’t heard during Reagan’s first term. Like now, a lot of lads saw in it as a green light to be total schmucks.

” I am convinced that the most relevant factor is differences in how a society educates or trains its children that effects the way they reason and perceive the world. That gives me the advantage because it is a non-biological/racial/gender/class factor that should not offend anybody.”
I can see the advantage, but should it be?  And I wouldn’t be so sure about not offending anybody when discussing differences.

I am avoiding offence right now.

“Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated PC) is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.”
Trump cares nothing about avoiding offense, or if he does care - he doesn’t have the ability to control it.

That leaves “disadvantage”, right? The buffet offerings be getting thin. Best give the old molars some rest.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

24 October 2019 06:46

Nhoj Morley - 24 October 2019 12:03 AM
DEGENERATEON - 23 October 2019 07:49 AM

Yes, but… by your own words, if Ezra thought the optics were the something wrong, it would negate the need for an unspecified other point.

Yes, but… it also sounds like trump and several of my employers. Are you saying that personality disorders come from political preferences? Perhaps folks like that make lousy leftists and lousy trumpies.

I hear nothing in this trump era that wasn’t heard during Reagan’s first term. Like now, a lot of lads saw in it as a green light to be total schmucks.

I am avoiding offence right now.

That leaves “disadvantage”, right? The buffet offerings be getting thin. Best give the old molars some rest.

Can I interest you in the dessert cart? 

Just one thing - unpack this in context:
“I am avoiding offence right now.”

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7707
Joined  22-02-2014

24 October 2019 15:22

There is a question (not one I made up), that I think helps get to the heart of “the regressive agenda”:

How far left is too far?

I guess I like Bill Maher’s stance when he calls himself a “classic liberal”. I would identify myself as a classic liberal. I think that the “right” can go too far, but I also think that the “left” can go too far. I think identity politics often goes too far. The whole “privilege / oppression” thing is too simplistic. The pursuit to legally squash so-called “hate speech” goes too far. And so on.

I think that liberals MUST be able to own the idea that liberals can go too far, and name those “too far” behaviors.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2868
Joined  19-01-2015

24 October 2019 22:01

what is “too far” depends entirely on how far the general opinion has moved.
Having an admitted homosexual running for President would have been considered “too far” only 15 years ago.

[ Edited: 24 October 2019 22:53 by Twissel]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

25 October 2019 10:35

DEGENERATEON - 24 October 2019 06:46 AM

I avoid empty calories. To put it moderately, the conversation was disappointing.

Would you peg Ian Bremmer as a leftists?

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

25 October 2019 18:57

Nhoj Morley - 25 October 2019 10:35 AM
DEGENERATEON - 24 October 2019 06:46 AM

I avoid empty calories. To put it moderately, the conversation was disappointing.

Would you peg Ian Bremmer as a leftists?

I said just one thing, but i am compelled to put up some defense to your offense.  Ezra is concerned with optics.  Yes, but…can we wave our hand and dismiss all of his leftist nonsense because he’s worried how someone might perceive the discussion?  He might say “Sam, I’m worried how this discussion may look with us being a couple of white guys” to which Sam might reply “Ezra, we need to be able to discuss data, and the color of our skin is irrelevant”.

The most relevant factor is how a society educates it’s children.  Yes, but…aren’t there certain societies that are obviously better at the task?  What societies are they?  Once you name them, will the others be offended?

Trump looks to avoid disadvantage to certain members of particular groups.  Yes, but…would anyone consider Trump to be “politically correct”?  Is the polling feature on this site operational yet?

If you’re still disappointed with the offerings, you could try the epilogue to Harris’s latest podcast.  It could be considered the “woke” agenda.  I don’t imagine you’d question his steps of reasoning.

As for Bremmer, I don’t know much about him and some quick research doesn’t lead me in any direction.  I’ll have to dig some more.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

29 October 2019 01:23

DEGENERATEON - 25 October 2019 06:57 PM

I said just one thing, but i am compelled to put up some defense to your offense.  Ezra is concerned with optics.  Yes, but…can we wave our hand and dismiss all of his leftist nonsense because he’s worried how someone might perceive the discussion?

Obviously we can. If we want to be stoopid. I expect Ezra is more complicated in his thoughts though I lack any curiosity about him. However, if you are happy with how this little nugget accommodates your wishes, fine. We can wave our hand and dismiss all of your wishful nonsense as shallow, shortsighted and agenda-driven.

It isn’t always about someone’s views. Sometimes watching their mind in action is cause for dismissal even if they’re on the same side.

The most relevant factor is how a society educates it’s children.  Yes, but…aren’t there certain societies that are obviously better at the task?  What societies are they?  Once you name them, will the others be offended?

The contrast in education cuts through all societies and cultures. The difference is not cultural in origin.

Trump looks to avoid disadvantage to certain members of particular groups.  Yes, but…would anyone consider Trump to be “politically correct”?

The phrase might seem out of place, but appropriate. If one needs to say certain things to fit in with the trumpies, why isn’t that PC? The phrase seem universally applicable to any locality of dominant political views.

Is the polling feature on this site operational yet?

No, and I don’t expect it will be. None of my requests to the Ubers get any response. We are marooned here.

If you’re still disappointed with the offerings, you could try the epilogue to Harris’s latest podcast.  It could be considered the “woke” agenda.  I don’t imagine you’d question his steps of reasoning.

That podcast is where The Boss and I diverge. Mr. Marantz was impressive. I think I get where he disagrees. Me too.

I share the sentiments of the epilogue. I would cast much the same picture. I feel the same level of aggravation. I wish The Boss could believe that his own understanding of the situation is a clue in the mystery. It is just like here in this thread. I’m rolling fours and you’re reading twos. I cannot make you read fours because you cannot see fours. The more I write, the more zany twos I become. Just like The Boss.

As for Bremmer, I don’t know much about him and some quick research doesn’t lead me in any direction.  I’ll have to dig some more.

For something to wave your hand at? Good luck.

< 1 2