Motherless Brooklyn

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1859
Joined  31-10-2015

07 November 2019 06:14

I’m looking forward to seeing this film. It apparently attempts to shine light on racial discrimination that got physically engineered into New York City’s neighborhoods during the 20th century by the politically influential Robert Moses. Here’s a review:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/edward-norton-why-he-placed-motherless-brooklyn-robert-moses-new-york-180973429/

Does Edward Norton actually shine legitimate light on Robert Moses’ apparent racism? It appears so to me, though I haven’t seen the movie and therefore can’t say whether or not it’s even worth watching.

Aside from the movie, questions remain about Robert Moses’ racist motives and their resulting influence on city planning. If Mr. Norton is correct in his analysis, he depicts a corner of the world in which racism has obviously been engineered into semi-permanence, yet is largely invisible due to the way past events just get forgotten or haphazardly integrated into our collective memory.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17780
Joined  15-02-2008

07 November 2019 08:25

Looks like more revisionist history, manufactured racism and just plain old whining and self righteousness to me.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21811
Joined  11-03-2007

07 November 2019 09:59

One thing about GAD, he is certainly consistent.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

07 November 2019 10:45

Actually, I was counting on GAD responding to my OP, and I’m glad he did.

GAD, is it really revisionist history to attempt to peel back “reality” a layer or two in order to make ethical sense of things that have happened? For instance, historians don’t generally refer to people they research and lecture/write about as racists even if the general style of thought/behavior at a given time is now known to be overtly racist. They tend to leave out such editorializing. At least, that’s how it seems to me.

[ Edited: 07 November 2019 10:48 by nonverbal]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

07 November 2019 10:51

I now look forward to my friend, Traces, correcting—or at least verbally frowning upon—my OP phrasing that refers to legitimate lighting.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3367
Joined  26-03-2013

07 November 2019 13:54

I am very much looking forward to this one.  And anything else Edward Norton related, quite honestly.

Especially if there’s even the slightest chance of him turning into Brad Pitt.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

08 November 2019 00:15

nonverbal - 07 November 2019 10:45 AM

Actually, I was counting on GAD responding to my OP, and I’m glad he did.

GAD, is it really revisionist history to attempt to peel back “reality” a layer or two in order to make ethical sense of things that have happened? For instance, historians don’t generally refer to people they research and lecture/write about as racists even if the general style of thought/behavior at a given time is now known to be overtly racist. They tend to leave out such editorializing. At least, that’s how it seems to me.

Hum, Norton spent 10 years wanting to make a novel into a movie, then changed the time period, scrapped most of the plot and added someone that could be construed as racist… Now why would he do that and do it at this point in time? Because identity politics and social justice are sweeping over the land like a new religious inquisition and there is fame and fortune to made from it?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 November 2019 10:50

And didn’t Tony Shalhoub already perfect the screwy private investigator persona afflicted with annoying tics, obsessions and anxieties? At any rate, if Alec Baldwin manages to (over)play the Robert Moses role the way I suspect he will, that alone will be worth seeing. Remember him in Glengarry Glen Ross?

But face it, GAD—negative racial attitudes are embedded not only in our culture, but in the streets of at least one of our major cities. It’s typically a quiet racism these days, imperceptible at first glance.

[ Edited: 08 November 2019 10:53 by nonverbal]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

08 November 2019 19:44

nonverbal - 08 November 2019 10:50 AM

And didn’t Tony Shalhoub already perfect the screwy private investigator persona afflicted with annoying tics, obsessions and anxieties? At any rate, if Alec Baldwin manages to (over)play the Robert Moses role the way I suspect he will, that alone will be worth seeing. Remember him in Glengarry Glen Ross?

But face it, GAD—negative racial attitudes are embedded not only in our culture, but in the streets of at least one of our major cities. It’s typically a quiet racism these days, imperceptible at first glance.

More manufactured racism. When you can’t find enough real racism to support your self-righteous hero high habit you invent it with implicit bias, we (white males) are racist even when we don’t act or think we are racist, and now we can mine it to, it’s beneath our cites and not perceptible from the surface, we just have to dig for it to get it.

You know I have argued with a lot of theists, and a common attack is that without god I (atheists) have no morality to follow to know good from evil. I’ve ask so many theists this “so without god you would be running around raping, robbing and murdering?” and their answer was YES, there would be nothing to stop me. This tells you what the monsters from their id are and what they dream about and fear and why they so desperately need a god to keep from succumbing to their monsters and in doing so become their own heroes. Is that why you and so many other white people so desperately need racism? Things that make you go hum.