‹ First  < 19 20 21

God Obsessed About What He Did Wrong

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9438
Joined  20-02-2006

11 October 2020 14:12

The title of this topic is, ‘God Obsessed About What He Did Wrong’.  This is based on a cartoon by Bruce Eric Kaplan which appeared in the New Yorker.  https://condenaststore.com/featured/on-the-seventh-day-bruce-eric-kaplan.html

I assumed that forum members who responded to this would realize it was satire.  Most people on this forum think that God is a delusion, as in Richard Dawkin’s book, ‘The God Delusion.’  One member who used to post here, Brother Mario, actually believed that God looked like the bearded figure that Michelangelo painted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - reaching out to take Adam’s hand.  He actually believed that the creator of the universe looked like this.  If asked to guess, I’d say 500,000,000 people alive today believe God looks like a gray-bearded kindly man dressed in a white robe.

So today, what could this gray-bearded kindly man, creator of the universe, be obsessing about?  For one thing, a resident of Louisiana whose house has been flooded and wrecked for the second time this year, just asked God to please do something about all the mosquitoes, which are making her life hell as she tries to clear away the massive tree that fell and wrecked her house.  Besides not being able to do anything about this, God had to admit to her, (via a newspaper article), that because of global warming, mosquitoes that carry malaria are probably going to start breeding in Louisiana.

Lake Charles minister:  “Lord, we pray that you give Donald Trump victory in November, in Jesus name, so that he can continue to battle the stupidity of the climate change hoax, and the false science reports that malaria is coming to Lake Charles and other false science reports about covid-19.  And give us the strength to rebuild our homes and community for the second time this year and please forgive New Orleans for electing a Democrat to congress, which is probably why you have smitten us with these terrible disasters.

satire  noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

https://scied.ucar.edu/longcontent/climate-change-and-vector-borne-disease  (scroll down to see map - U.S. gulf coast etc.)

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  465
Joined  19-06-2020

11 October 2020 17:44

You know a thread is producing thought provoking conversation when we have to break out dictionary definitions every page.

Total Posts:  187
Joined  26-08-2020

12 October 2020 11:22

Nihoj, do me a favor and cancel my membership to this forum website.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

12 October 2020 12:06

8262014 - 12 October 2020 11:22 AM

I wonder if you are also cancelling your membership in the idea of doing unto others as you would have them do unto you? 

Spelling it out for you, if you tell ‘new atheists’ that traditional atheists are embarrassed and ashamed by them, then you must expect that traditional Christians will be embarrassed and ashamed by your cherry picking Jesus quotes, selecting Jesus’ kind-hearted and conciliatory ‘judge not that ye be not judged’ quotes.

conciliatory  adjective

intended or likely to placate or pacify

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6688
Joined  22-02-2005

12 October 2020 17:23

8262014 - 12 October 2020 11:22 AM

I think there is a lesson there for all of us.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7382
Joined  15-02-2007

12 October 2020 17:35

Maybe he’s going to go find himself a hobby.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

13 October 2020 13:46

Jefe - 12 October 2020 05:35 PM

Maybe he’s going to go find himself a hobby.

Before going to visit another atheist forum, I suspect he’s going to read Richard Dawkins’ big picture book for teenagers, THE MAGIC OF REALITY - How We Know What’s Really True,https://www.target.com/p/the-magic-of-reality-by-richard-dawkins-paperback/-/A-16091429?

Then he’s going to explain to other atheists how he knows what’s really true.

‹ First  < 19 20 21