“Seriously, it looks like we’re planning our extinction.”  -  Deepak Chopra (quoted in TIME magazine)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8808
Joined  20-02-2006

21 November 2019 10:46

Chopra is referring to climate change, extinction of species, poison in our food chain, nuclear weapons, biological warfare etc.

https://time.com/5724034/climate-change-childrens-health/

quote from this article:

“One of the most damaging examples of that cumulative phenomenon is the microscopic particulate matter produced by burning fossil fuels. The study found that more than 90% of the world’s 2.2 billion children are exposed to particles at concentrations above the safe limit defined by the World Health Organization. Drawing their first breath in a world like that leaves them at a higher lifetime risk of developing asthma, pneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. And while the air is, on average, cleaner in wealthy countries like the U.S. than it was 50 years ago, the world as a whole is becoming more urbanized, with 70% of the global population expected to be living in cities by 2050—precisely where the air is dirtiest.”

(last paragraph in article):  “Climate change is a perversely egalitarian scourge, sparing no one, affecting everyone. But the special toll it takes on children makes it perversely cruel too. In a world that ostensibly prizes justice, it is unjust in the extreme for the people who are the least responsible for causing a problem to suffer from it the most. The Paris Accord—honored instead of ignored—offers a way out.

Meanwhile Trump attempts to bribe the president of Ukraine in order to get dirt on his political rival.  “Seriously, it looks like . . . . . “

Insanity?

Vociferous Fuckweasel

Vociferous Fuckweasel
Total Posts:  27
Joined  21-06-2019

23 November 2019 14:34

Well, maybe them fellars talking about the Fermi Paradox were right.
On the other hand, I can think of quite a few species (oink oink, cluck cluck, moo moo) who would be quite happy if we managed to bugger off.

I don’t really mean that, of course. I’d miss us, even annoying sophists with super-cool-colored glasses like Cheap Hack D’Oprah.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8808
Joined  20-02-2006

25 November 2019 11:56

Vociferous Fuckweasel - 23 November 2019 02:34 PM

Well, maybe them fellars talking about the Fermi Paradox were right.
On the other hand, I can think of quite a few species (oink oink, cluck cluck, moo moo) who would be quite happy if we managed to bugger off.

I don’t really mean that, of course. I’d miss us, even annoying sophists with super-cool-colored glasses like Cheap Hack D’Oprah.

I quoted him because the comment appeared in TIME magazine.  Imagine if that line in the OP was uttered by Joel Osteen speaking to his congregation of 60,000 in his Lakewood, TX megachurch . . . or in thousands of pulpits across the country; or by the Pope, and in the Pentagon, and the marble halls of Washington.  Perhaps Deepak could get a seat behind the podium at Trump’s next rally, and suddenly turn his MAG poster around while Trump was saying that global warming was a hoax.  “SERIOUSLY, IT LOOKS LIKE WE’RE PLANNING OUR EXTINCTION!” - appearing on TV’s around the world before the pack pounced on him, tore him to pieces and stamped on his cool colored glasses.

Remember about 80 years ago when the ‘pack’ at Madison Square Garden pounced on the infidel?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4zRZ7XLYSA