Trump, His Base, and Mass Extinction

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8808
Joined  20-02-2006

23 November 2019 13:20

Even on the single issue of climate change, Trump and his supporters are moving the world toward mass extinctions. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sixth-Extinction-Unnatural-History/dp/0805092994

https://www.amazon.com/Falter-Human-Game-Begun-Itself/dp/1250178266  (“Falter is a powerful and sobering call to arms, to save not only our planet but also our humanity”).

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/586541/the-uninhabitable-earth-by-david-wallace-wells/

“It is worse, much worse, than you think. If your anxiety about global warming is dominated by fears of sea-level rise, you are barely scratching the surface of what terrors are possible—food shortages, refugee emergencies, climate wars and economic devastation.”  -  from a review of The Uninhabitable Earth

“Seriously, it looks like we’re planning our own extinction.”  -  Deepak Chopra, quoted in November 2019 TIME magazine

Trump, his base, and mass extinction.  Questions:  Is it because they don’t believe the science?  Is it because they think climate change will affect other people, not them or their kids?  Is it because his values are their values?  What are his and their values?

[ Edited: 23 November 2019 13:29 by unsmoked]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  19-01-2015

23 November 2019 13:46

First and foremost, it is about sticking it to “The Liberuls”.
If the group you have identified as your enemy asks you to open your parachute, doing so would be admitting that they are right - better to hit the ground with terminal velocity.
I have have seen/read interviews with Trump supporters who believe in Climate Change - but they more or less assume that it is too late to do anything about it anyway. Given that, on average, they are quite a bit older than the average Democrat-supporter, it is no wonder they see no upside for themselves in changing their lives to reduce global warming; they figure they will be dead before it becomes critical for them.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

24 November 2019 09:06

Twissel - 23 November 2019 01:46 PM

First and foremost, it is about sticking it to “The Liberuls”.
If the group you have identified as your enemy asks you to open your parachute, doing so would be admitting that they are right - better to hit the ground with terminal velocity.
I have have seen/read interviews with Trump supporters who believe in Climate Change - but they more or less assume that it is too late to do anything about it anyway. Given that, on average, they are quite a bit older than the average Democrat-supporter, it is no wonder they see no upside for themselves in changing their lives to reduce global warming; they figure they will be dead before it becomes critical for them.

Is Trump a Pied Piper to 63 million followers?  Enchanted by his values?  Cheering the music of his tweets?

Do they see the dying oceans as a hoax?  Nothing to do with burning fossil fuel?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21909
Joined  11-03-2007

24 November 2019 14:11

They don’t care about that because they are not IMMEDIATELY affected by it.  Today was about like yesterday .  Here is what matters to various segments of them:

1. They hate Pelosi, Obama, the Clintons, and anyone associated with them;
2. They don’t want brown or black people to take over;
3. They want judges who will overturn Roe v. Wade and any protections to LGBT folks;
4.  They want their automatic weapons; and
5.  They want whatever Fox News says.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

25 November 2019 10:09

EN - 24 November 2019 02:11 PM

They don’t care about that because they are not IMMEDIATELY affected by it.  Today was about like yesterday .  Here is what matters to various segments of them:

1. They hate Pelosi, Obama, the Clintons, and anyone associated with them;
2. They don’t want brown or black people to take over;
3. They want judges who will overturn Roe v. Wade and any protections to LGBT folks;
4.  They want their automatic weapons; and
5.  They want whatever Fox News says.

Right.  The Five Pillars of Trump.  The cult leader can do no wrong - question his wisdom or values and under the bus you go.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/spycatcher/201208/dangerous-cult-leaders

quote:

“From my studies of cults and cult leaders during my time in the FBI, I learned early on that there are some things to look for that, at a minimum, say “caution, this individual is dangerous, and in all likelihood will cause harm to others.”

Scroll down in this article to see 50 characteristics of dangerous cult leaders.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9752
Joined  20-10-2006

25 November 2019 17:18

What are the characteristics of cult followers?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

26 November 2019 12:15

Skipshot - 25 November 2019 05:18 PM

What are the characteristics of cult followers?

In this case, see EN’s FIVE PILLARS OF TRUMP in post #3 above.  Fox News is their daily newsletter. They wear red MAG Trump hats.  They know that some racists are good people.  They know that anything critical of Trump is fake news, a hoax, or treason.  They know that Robert Redford is an enemy of the people.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/11/26/robert-redford-trumps-monarchy-in-disguise-is-an-attack-on-everything-we-stand-for/23868309/

“We’re up against a crisis I never thought I’d see in my lifetime: a dictator-like attack by President Donald Trump on everything this country stands for. As last week’s impeachment hearings made clear, our shared tolerance and respect for the truth, our sacred rule of law, our essential freedom of the press and our precious freedoms of speech — all have been threatened by a single man.”  -  Robert Redford (see more in article)

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7746
Joined  22-02-2014

30 November 2019 14:51

how did so many people get to this state?

again, i’m going to come back to the fact that the oligarchy has handed them crappy lives.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21909
Joined  11-03-2007

30 November 2019 15:22

icehorse - 30 November 2019 02:51 PM

The world is just too complex for some folks. We really didn’t evolve to have to survive in this level of complexity. Things were simple, from the perspective of understanding.  I need to eat, drink, sleep, shit, pee, fuck, protect myself.  Not complex, even if it is difficult. In a multifaceted and intricately nuanced world, some people just don’t function well. They need it boiled down to a few one-liners that they can rally behind. It’s like a Friday night football game - you don’t have to know all the rules of football or how plays are designed - all you need to know is that we need to “Beat The Tigers!!!”

Trump simplifies the world for these folks.  It is his (Lord, forgive me) genius. He can boil it all down to a slogan here, a nickname there.  The followers don’t get bogged down in the details, don’t get lost in the weeds.  A pep rally here and a tweet there, and they are satisfied.  They remember what it is all about.  Us vs. Them.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7746
Joined  22-02-2014

01 December 2019 08:21

EN - 30 November 2019 03:22 PM
icehorse - 30 November 2019 02:51 PM

The world is just too complex for some folks. We really didn’t evolve to have to survive in this level of complexity. Things were simple, from the perspective of understanding.  I need to eat, drink, sleep, shit, pee, fuck, protect myself.  Not complex, even if it is difficult. In a multifaceted and intricately nuanced world, some people just don’t function well. They need it boiled down to a few one-liners that they can rally behind. It’s like a Friday night football game - you don’t have to know all the rules of football or how plays are designed - all you need to know is that we need to “Beat The Tigers!!!”

Trump simplifies the world for these folks.  It is his (Lord, forgive me) genius. He can boil it all down to a slogan here, a nickname there.  The followers don’t get bogged down in the details, don’t get lost in the weeds.  A pep rally here and a tweet there, and they are satisfied.  They remember what it is all about.  Us vs. Them.

That’s a very depressing perspective, but it’s probably mostly true - sigh.

It strikes me that this “boiled down” mindset is more prevalent now than it used to be(?). The article below summarizes how Eisenhower and Obama heavily promoted STEM education. It seems that Ike knew that people were fearful during the cold war, and he used that to promote STEM, but in private he just believed in STEM.

So - argh - maybe all of our technical prowess from 50 years ago was fear driven - there’s another sad perspective.

I’d like to believe that most of us believe that being well educated leads to a better life, but maybe that’s just not so.

stem legacies

[ Edited: 01 December 2019 08:28 by icehorse]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

01 December 2019 18:21

Republicans in Washington stand by Trump no matter what.  They say, “That’s just Trump.  He’s a savvy New York businessman.  He’s blunt and speaks his mind - doesn’t mince words etc. etc.  Never any mention of the chronic lies, juvenile tweets, blundering military decisions, bribing foreign leader to get dirt on his political opponent etc.

Is it because their own career depends on supporting Trump?  Because they know Pence, Romney, or any other potential presidential candidate that ran instead of Trump in 2020 would lose?  To win, Republicans need the ‘tax breaks for the rich’, they need the racists, the gun lobby, the voters who just need to hear that Trump put CHRIST back in CHRISTmas, and THANKS back in THANKSgiving, that some nazis are good people, that Hannity tells it like it ils - not the NY Times or the Post, the anti-intellectuals who know that climate change is a hoax, that industry doesn’t need government regulation to care for the earth, air, and water quality?

In a NUTSHELL do Republicans know they would lose for sure in 2020 if Trump banned machine guns, or even bump stocks, or said that he was wrong and climate change was real and had to be addressed immediately.  That climate change is a gathering storm that is going to destabilize the world beyond imagination?