#176- Knowledge & Redemptiom A Conversation with Lynn Novick and Jule Hall

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  22-02-2005

23 November 2019 16:16

In this episode of the Making Sense podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Lynn Novick about her four-part documentary College Behind Bars. The film follows the progress of students in the Bard Prison Initiative (BPI) as they pursue their undergraduate degrees. Sam and Lynn are joined by Jule Hall, a BPI graduate who served a 22-year sentence and is now working for the Ford Foundation.

#176- Knowledge & Redemptiom A Conversation with Lynn Novick and Jule Hall

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

burnra

burnra
Total Posts:  1
Joined  15-07-2017

26 November 2019 01:12

Go to prison to get a free college education
I came from a poor background in a run down area with no chance of leaving school and going to uni. I left school on Friday and started a welding apprenticeship on the following Monday out of necessity to my family . I had to work for the money to pay for my own further education whilst holding down a full time job. and paying for my accommodation, food, clothing, books,  heating etc etc. I finished uni at 30 years old, worked again,  saved again and did a post grad masters all paid for by my own savings. Why should someone who has committed a crime and been convicted get this all for free whilst having the time and resources given to them. I usually agree with what you say Sam but I do not agree with your supportive views on this subject. Only for a brief time did you discuss the other side where people object,  including wardens and even one persons own mother. I feel a lot of people will not be supportive of this suggestion. I now have children who are now burdened with college loans for the foreseeable future who do not commit crimes. This is the first time I have ever written to any forum,  but your supportive reaction to this conversation went too far left for me.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3424
Joined  26-03-2013

26 November 2019 05:38

The conversation touches on the statistic that one dollar inside equals five dollars outside.  And inmates benefiting from this opportunity have a 2.5% recidivism rate.  That sort of runs alongside the concept of compassionate conservatism.  A bipartisan term coined in the seventies and often promoted by President Shrub.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1886
Joined  31-10-2015

26 November 2019 07:13

burnra - 26 November 2019 01:12 AM

Go to prison to get a free college education
I came from a poor background in a run down area with no chance of leaving school and going to uni. I left school on Friday and started a welding apprenticeship on the following Monday out of necessity to my family . I had to work for the money to pay for my own further education whilst holding down a full time job. and paying for my accommodation, food, clothing, books,  heating etc etc. I finished uni at 30 years old, worked again,  saved again and did a post grad masters all paid for by my own savings. Why should someone who has committed a crime and been convicted get this all for free whilst having the time and resources given to them. I usually agree with what you say Sam but I do not agree with your supportive views on this subject. Only for a brief time did you discuss the other side where people object,  including wardens and even one persons own mother. I feel a lot of people will not be supportive of this suggestion. I now have children who are now burdened with college loans for the foreseeable future who do not commit crimes. This is the first time I have ever written to any forum,  but your supportive reaction to this conversation went too far left for me.

Do you detect a tendency for people to seek prison-sponsored educational programs actively enough for them to choose a life of crime? Because I’d rather find myself undereducated with a clean past than an ex-con with a fancy degree.

Also, how would a degree-seeking potential arsonist or burglar or rapist, etc. know which prison he’d eventually be sent to?

[ Edited: 26 November 2019 07:41 by nonverbal]